The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-02, 03:19 AM
I'm down here for your soul
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Question DVD Video out of sync with audio

Hey everyone!

Was wondering if ye could help me out. I received 2 DVDs lately, both in NTSC format, and when I play them on my laptop DVD player (Samsung SN-342S, region 2) the audio plays fine but the video is out of sync. On some other DVDs the audio plays fine and the video jitters or skips. But when I play these DVDs on my stand-alone player they play fine. The media is a good brand, TDK and Sony.

Any ideas whats wrong or how I can fix this? Would like to watch these DVDs on my laptop as well as my standalone.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5160 running Windows XP2 Home Edition
Pentium 4, 2.80 GHz, 512MB RAM

Thanks!!!

Last edited by silentmachine; 2004-12-02 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-02, 08:23 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Re: Video out of sync with audio

DVDs are still somewhat of a black art I think. "Good media" sometimes doesn't mean anything, as it's more what media works better with what kind of drive. It sounds to me like whatever media you're using is not being liked by the drive, but that the standalone (which has a different laser) likes it just fine. Is there any way you can find out the make of your drive? If so, go to the www.dvdrhelp.com and look through their list...maybe you can see some other people who have had problems with that combo of hardware/media.

Since it plays fine on your standalone, my inclination is to say that the disc is fine and the drive simply doesn't like it.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-02, 08:47 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Thanks for your help RainDawg, appreciate it. My laptop DVD player is a Samsung SN-342S.

Looked it up on www.dvdrhelp.com and it said that my drive is not compatible with DVD+R which surprised me because I'm fairly sure I've used many DVD+R discs on my drive before. I'll try again when I get home just to be sure.

Thanks again
Old 2004-12-02, 08:56 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Yeah, please do...I'm interested to hear if it's just a problem reading DVD+R or if there is more to it. It's always helpful to me to find out how people resolve their issues, as it helps me respond to others in the future .
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-02, 12:45 PM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Hey!

I checked the DVDs I was having trouble with and many of them are DVD+R. And I have many other DVD+Rs that play fine! I'm still confused

thanks!
Old 2004-12-02, 02:52 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

if it plays fine with standalone player, it seems to me you have some video codec problem in your PC and that could make audio/video out of sync. If you use powerdvd to watch dvd on you PC try unistalling & re-installing powerdvd. Not too long ago I had problem with Nero's video codec when I installed video capture/author part and I don't use nero capture anymore. There is a program call 'graphedit' (you can find link in www.videohelp.com and you can see what all audio/video codec is installed and what's being used.
Old 2004-12-06, 02:31 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Ok, I'm still having trouble with my drive. The specs for the drive are at Dell.com, where I bought the laptop, here's the link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...1/en/specs.htm

According to this, my drive should play DVD+R, and it does, I've checked. At the moment the player I'm using is "Dell's Media Experience" powered by Cyberlink.

Anyone know any other free DVD players I could try instead???

Thanks again for all yer help!
Old 2004-12-07, 02:23 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Fixed the problem!

All I did was I installed RioDVD 3.1 and the DVDs I was having trouble with played fine with this new program. Must be something dodgy about the Dell Media Experience (Powered by Cyberlink) program.

Anyway, it asks me to register everytime I start up the program...but it says nothing about a trial period...will this program eventually expire if I don't register it?

Thanks for all the help,
Dom
Old 2004-12-07, 02:16 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmachine
Fixed the problem!

All I did was I installed RioDVD 3.1 and the DVDs I was having trouble with played fine with this new program. Must be something dodgy about the Dell Media Experience (Powered by Cyberlink) program.

Anyway, it asks me to register everytime I start up the program...but it says nothing about a trial period...will this program eventually expire if I don't register it?

Thanks for all the help,
Dom
so it was definitely a audio/video codec problem as i stated before. i don't use riodvd. i have regular powerdvd from cyberlink (older version) and i don't have any sync problem. i used get this kind of problem when i used to install various trial media player/author software.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble