The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-27, 02:16 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Question Need Help With DVD Shrink

I love the program, but about a month ago, whenever I try to backup a DVD, the program just freezes.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall on different hard drives, and have used both of my dvd drives, and still the same thing.

Any help?

Any other freeware programs like DVD shrink I can try?

Last edited by retired; 2006-12-26 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-27, 02:18 PM
boogie chillun'
1.32 GB/184.09 MB/0.14

Re: Need Help With DVD Shrink

I don't know what exactly is DVD Shrink good for, but I use DVD Decrypter for copying DVDs.
Old 2004-12-27, 07:41 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba
I don't know what exactly is DVD Shrink good for, but I use DVD Decrypter for copying DVDs.
Shrink allows you to do a heck of a lot more than just copy a DVD. You can pick and choose what you want burned...which may not sound like much if the disc you're trying to copy is too big to fit on one DVDR and the french subtitles only take up a couple k's,...but do you always need that "making of" and "behind the scenes" stuff at the sacrifice of not fitting everything on one disc? Plus!, you can combine material from different DVD sources onto one (make your own compilation)...and a bunch of other stuff. If you haven't tried it you're missing out on A LOT of nice options.

thisistoto: Now on to the problem at hand....obviously you've rebooted from everything it sounds like you've done. What OS is it?...and just as importantly, do you remember installing anything not to long before the problem started? If you're on XP and have it set to auto update you may have had MS sneak into your system with something they thought would help

You could try defragging your hardrive(s) if you haven't done that in awhile.
Also, try CTL+ALT+DLT and shut down everything running in the background, and then try burning...this is an easy way to see if there's a program running in the background that may be fouling things up. If Shrink works then you can try just selectively turning off programs.

The only other advice I'd add is to ask one of the mods to move this thread over to the Technobabble section where it won't get so lost here....or you can just post new in there.

Give a shout back on how you're doing.
Old 2004-12-28, 01:43 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Thanks so much Katnapz.

I do have XP on auto updae, so maybe MS problems in there.

And i do defrag my computer every week.

It must be something else complicating with it. Hm.
Old 2004-12-28, 07:37 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Moved with a Redirect to Technobabble. Toto, hopefully you will get more replies over there since that is what the forum is for. But, I left a Redirect so people can still find it in The Lounge.

Old 2004-12-28, 11:35 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: dvd burning software

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I just switched over to Record Now Max for burning since I can put the txt, md5 and artwork outside the VIDEO_TS folder. I heard that there have been problems doing this with Nero.
i *only* use RecordNow Max for burning DVDs. they're always compatible (i know this isn't an issue with newer Nero releases, but it was during their 5.x.x.x stages, from what i've read)... and like feralicious said, you can burn other files on the DVD±R disc with no problems. i often will burn MD5s, info files, and even artwork (JPEG files) *inside* the VIDEO_TS folder, just so they aren't ever "lost" and go along with any other copies of the DVD.
Old 2004-12-28, 11:42 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
i often will burn MD5s, info files, and even artwork (JPEG files) *inside* the VIDEO_TS folder, just so they aren't ever "lost" and go along with any other copies of the DVD.
Have you tested that with your DVD player? That will cause major issues with most DVD players. It will do fine when you play the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (some), but most DVD players will NOT like that.

And I don't understand this won't get lost thing? If you put them outside the VIDEO_TS folder, under the root folder, then they aren't lost.

Old 2004-12-29, 12:49 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Only till the next trader who grabs only the VIDEO_TS folder to burn

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2004-12-29, 03:39 AM
Banned
795.31 MB/607.86 MB/0.76

SONY VEGAS FOR EDITING AND RENDERING

AND

ULEAD DVD MOVIE FACTORY AND SOMETIMES SONY DVD ARCHITECH
Old 2004-12-29, 04:47 PM
38.31 GB/97.47 GB/2.54

our friends at stone pony have a great deal of info on this topic:
http://www.spl-messages.net/ubbthrea...ge=0#268760517
Old 2004-12-30, 12:42 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Have you tested that with your DVD player? That will cause major issues with most DVD players. It will do fine when you play the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer (some), but most DVD players will NOT like that.

And I don't understand this won't get lost thing? If you put them outside the VIDEO_TS folder, under the root folder, then they aren't lost.
as diggrd alluded to - those files can "get lost" when the next person decides to just burn the VIDEO_TS folder, and not any other folders/files on the original disc. (because many DVD players will play a DVD±R that only has the VIDEO_TS folder, so that's all that a lot of people burn when copying discs.)

also, yes, i have burned over a hundred DVDs with MD5 checksums and info (.txt) files inside the VIDEO_TS folder and all of them work fine in my Philips DVD player, and in my friends' Sony and JVC DVD players.
Old 2004-12-30, 02:07 PM
sharemydog
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

use imgtoolclassic to create an image(dvd), and dvddecrypter to burn this image...this way is totaly free. for nero users coujo coded a gui called imgtoolburn which use the installed nero engine. nero standalone is not a good choice...many many problems over a couple of versions
Old 2005-01-04, 07:10 PM
active taper
198.79 GB/239.51 GB/1.20

Question DVD compatible media

Here is a listing of the brands of compatible media for my DVD burner. I was wondering which brands of compatible media are a good choice? I know TY (Fujifilm made in Japan) are the standard for CDR media but I'm not too sure about DVD media.

Not all forms of media are supported by this drive, and especially at the higher write speeds.
As a result, LiteON has compiled this list of recommended media:

DVD+R 16X: CMC, MCC, Sony

DVD+R9: MCC, Ritek, Ricoh

DVD-R 8X: CMC, GSC, Maxell, MCC, Prodisc, Ritek, Sony, TY

Catch you on the flipside!

AKG SE 300 b (CK91/CK93) > Segue Dogstar Silver-Clad XLRs > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2 (24 bit 48 kHz)
Old 2005-01-04, 07:53 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Re: DVD compatible media

I'm curious as to which Lite-On drive you have....

I just got a Lite-On SOHW-1633S a couple of days ago.
Old 2005-01-04, 08:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: DVD compatible media

Two years ago when I got my DVD writer, I had someone recommend Ritek discs. I've been using them ever since and I've never had anyone say they've had problems (except one person who couldn't read DVD-Rs on their DVD player). I've gone through a few hundred by now.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble