The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-09, 05:56 PM
heavy metal madman
333.85 GB/337.83 GB/1.01

Re: dvd troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamadhi97
Have you tried ripping them on a different drive / computer?
no i haven't tried doing that yet.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-09, 06:07 PM
thirtysixwood
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Another DVD Burning Newbie

Well guys, I think someone said it correctly when they said they didnt think the PLEX TOOLS PROFESSIONAL could do video DVD. By the way I tried putting everything on the DVD and it still didnt work, So I am off to Best Buy again for the 50th time this week to purchase something Probably the Nero 6.6, but I will see what they have to say.

I will post again to let everyone know how it goes.
Old 2005-03-09, 06:21 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

make sure yer up to date on the Liteon's firmware [check if there are any for nero as well]...i had some wierd problems when using Ritek G05 disks, and it was corrected after updating firmware for my burner...if that doesn't work, i would check and see if the same thing happens when re-uploading them to another computer...if it does, it might be some sort of issue with the batch of discs maybe, or possibly a glitch in the program you used to burn to disc in the first place? good luck...
Old 2005-03-09, 06:29 PM
71.58 GB/124.20 GB/1.74

Icon4 Re: Another DVD Burning Newbie

Don't go back to BBY!!

I was misinformed... DVD decrypter availible online for free (plus any voluntary dontation) will do everything you need and not mess w/ the BUP and IFO files, which Nero apparently does.

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Check it out!
Old 2005-03-09, 07:24 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

perhaps a stupid question, but are you on a PC (i.e. not Mac)? if so, have you tried the simple drag & drop in Windows? (or copy & paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the burned DVD to a destination on your hard drive.) often that method will work and make perfectly fine error-free copies when ripping software (e.g. DVDDecrypter) has problems. just another thought.

also, i second AAR.oner's recommendation to make sure your LiteOn drive's firmware is up-to-date. with media changing a bit (to accomodate for DVD drives with faster burning speeds), it's sometimes crucial to have updated firmware to be able to burn certain media using certain burners.
Old 2005-03-09, 10:02 PM
thirtysixwood
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Another DVD Burning Newbie

Well, I went to best buy anyway.... and I bought the Nero 6.6, I must say after 2 hours, I figured it out, and am now watching Wolfmans Brother, sure brings back memories. Anyway, I want to thank you all for helping me out, and responding quickly. the only thing that could make me happier is to see some pictures of the progress of my custom made guitar....

Anyway, thanks again...
Justin Gentry
Old 2005-03-09, 10:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
perhaps a stupid question, but are you on a PC (i.e. not Mac)? if so, have you tried the simple drag & drop in Windows? (or copy & paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the burned DVD to a destination on your hard drive.) often that method will work and make perfectly fine error-free copies when ripping software (e.g. DVDDecrypter) has problems. just another thought.
I'm on a Mac and I have to just drag and drop. But, before you do this MAKE AN MD5 CHECKSUM OF THE VIDEO_TS CONTENTS FROM THE DVD FIRST! Then, after you drag and drop, you can use the checksum against the VIDEO_TS folder you just created on your hard drive and make sure it copied over error free.

Old 2005-03-09, 10:12 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I'm on PC, I just drag and drop, too. I generate an md5 directly from the DVD then save and test it with the files copied to my HD.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-03-09, 10:17 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Ritek aka Verbatim do not work well with LiteOn burners. When scanned for errors PI/PIF in KProbe they look like a crap. Also Tayo Yuden is not so good as reported for other burners. I found that the best brand for my 811S is TDK (CMC, MCC). More info you will find at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....threadid=93944
- see there links to various media tests.
Old 2005-03-10, 12:11 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I'm on a Mac and I have to just drag and drop. But, before you do this MAKE AN MD5 CHECKSUM OF THE VIDEO_TS CONTENTS FROM THE DVD FIRST! Then, after you drag and drop, you can use the checksum against the VIDEO_TS folder you just created on your hard drive and make sure it copied over error free.
U2Lynne -

my bad, i thought it went without saying to do a check on the copied and pasted files. i use DirPrudence to do file checking when the disc doesn't have an MD5 to begin with.

and btw - i figured Macs could do the classic drag & drop for copying DVDs. but since i've never used a Mac for copying DVDs, i didn't want to assume that it would work fine. (unfortunately, the majority of my Mac experience is only in the word processor program. )

pawal -

good luck with the TDK DVDs lasting. well, nix that. good luck to everyone, with every brand of DVD, lasting... since it's still somewhat relatively new technology (less than 20 years old), it will be interesting to see how long the data lasts...
Old 2005-03-10, 07:08 AM
heavy metal madman
333.85 GB/337.83 GB/1.01

wow......thanks everyone for the response , ive got plenty of things to try out now , hopefully i can get things sorted.

pawel.....thanks for that link , it just goes to show doesnt it as everyone recommends ritek g04's yet liteon burners dont like them , i also see that they're not very good with -r discs , guess which one's ive been using
Old 2005-03-10, 10:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
U2Lynne -

my bad, i thought it went without saying to do a check on the copied and pasted files. i use DirPrudence to do file checking when the disc doesn't have an MD5 to begin with.
It might go without saying to you or I, but there are a bunch of newbies out there who wouldn't even think to make sure the data came over fine. Do you know how many people don't realize that you can make an md5 checksum for files other than shns? (And then there are those that are clueless on what to do with the md5 they downloaded with the shns and just throw it away when archiving the show. )

Old 2005-03-10, 11:33 AM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Over an hour to burn a DVD?!?

Ok. Last month when I got my new internal burner I put it in my Dell Dimension & installed the Nero that came with it. I didn't configure anything & when I burned DVD's off my hardrive it would take maybe 10 minutes to burn 4GB. It burned at 8x. Recently I had to reinstall windows & everything on my computer got wiped out. I re-installed the Nero. Now when I burn a DVD off my hardrive it takes over an hour to burn 4GB!!! It still says burning at 8x. What happened to the fast burning speed I had before? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 2005-03-10, 11:45 AM
178.07 GB/102.20 GB/0.57

Re: Over an hour to burn a DVD?!?

Check this out bro...
I noticed a similar problem a few days ago and did a google search and was comforted to see I wasn't alone... not only were my burning speeds more than doubled (audio discs that would burn in 4 minutes at 16x were taking 8-9 minutes and videos that would burn in 15 minutes at 4x were taking over half an hour) but my computer was also running very very sluggish whenever I would engage a burn... a problem I never had before.

I came across this suggestion and I am back to burning as good as new.

Go to CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM -> HARDWARE -> click on DEVICE MANAGER...
Find the IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS section and expand the list (it should now show 3 items) double click on the PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL -> click on the ADVANCED SETTING tab... if it says PIO in the CURRENT TRANSFER MODE you found your problem! Now check the same with your SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL.

Now to fix it...
Back at the DEVICE MANAGER -> IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS section... right click on PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL and select UNINSTALL. Confirm to continue, but DO NOT RESTART THE CPU AT THIS TIME.
Repeat the same uninstall process for the SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL... this time restart the computer.
This will force Windows to automatically reinstall the IDE drivers.
Then restart the computer again and you should be good to go.
Like I said, I had a similar 'slow burning' problem to the one you described and this worked like a charm.
Hope it helps!

(Thanks goes to posts at www.cdrinfo.com and www.gidforums.com)
Old 2005-03-10, 03:49 PM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Re: Over an hour to burn a DVD?!?

I wanna give this a try but when I go to settings-> control panel, there's nothing in the control panel folder. Same thing with Local Disc C...now that's strange....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble