The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-05-31, 12:41 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Re: Video from television programs

Dubwiser, you better go fix that title of the new Stevie Ray Vaughan audio torrent. Nobody cares if it's from ACL anyway.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-31, 12:43 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
^^^ Look, there is no hard and fast rule, but the torrent upload form will name it they way it should be, in most cases. We take everything on a case by case basis.. in general, the FAQ is the governing set of guidelines.

The torrent upload form will name the show the way it generally needs to be named. If you want to add or subtract from that, go ahead. If the forum's mod thinks it needs to be modified, he/she will mod it.

Don't stress over this... upload away... your torrent will be assimilated.
Case by case huh? Everyone else has a case, but vladsmythe/Graceful Duck Archive has a different case. I understand.
If I seed Bruce Hornsby on Regis and Kathie Lee, I think that is much more interesting to members than Bruce Hornsby - ABC Television Studios, New York.
Old 2008-05-31, 12:48 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It's been my experience that audio torrent thread titles don't get modified, but video torrent thread titles do. I think this has to do with a perfectionist tendency by certain mods.

Bottom line: it's such a small issue. Better to upload your video with a modified thread title than not upload it at all IMO.
Old 2008-05-31, 12:52 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful View Post
It's been my experience that audio torrent thread titles don't get modified, but video torrent thread titles do. I think this has to do with a perfectionist tendency by certain mods.

Bottom line: it's such a small issue. Better to upload your video with a modified thread title than not upload it at all IMO.
I agree. So let's clean up the mess of active video torrents with actual TV program names asap so we can eliminate the double standard of case by case judgements by different mods. I think uniformity is a good thing.
Old 2008-05-31, 12:53 PM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
Case by case huh? Everyone else has a case, but vladsmythe/Graceful Duck Archive has a different case. I understand.
If I seed Bruce Hornsby on Regis and Kathie Lee, I think that is much more interesting to members than Bruce Hornsby - ABC Television Studios, New York.
You can put that info in the thread, and the text file.

I would put "Crosby TV Interview" and the date it aired, since you don't know when it was taped.

Then in the thread, put in the rest, "One on One with..." whatever the show was, plus other details.

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Old 2008-05-31, 12:59 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn2760 View Post
You can put that info in the thread, and the text file.

I would put "Crosby TV Interview" and the date it aired, since you don't know when it was taped.

Then in the thread, put in the rest, "One on One with..." whatever the show was, plus other details.
Excellent suggestion. I'll do that when "Old Grey Whistle Test" is changed to "Shepard's Bush, London". That TV show should be contained in the text and thread only. All the VH1 Legends seeds too. They should be re-named "***** documentary".
Old 2008-05-31, 01:09 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Excellent suggestion. I'll do that when "Old Grey Whistle Test" is changed to "Shepard's Bush, London". That TV show should be contained in the text and thread only. All the VH1 Legends seeds too. They should be re-named "***** documentary".
hey - actually, you'll just live with whatever happens. You;ve been pretty shitty about this. You want the entire site modified because you don't like how your interview torrent was named?

What you should have done is just PM the video mod that changed your title and say, "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible" and you'd have received your answer. The end.

It's not like your torrent got pulled. You whine enough for everyone here, combined. I think Lynne has given you the answer you need. It isn't your place to demand that every thread on the site be changed to 'match' anything.

We stick pretty close to our guidelines, but we do deviate when we feel like it is necessary. If you don't like it when it happens to you, talk to the person that did it in a civil manner. Do not demand anything or spout ultimatums.. the result will *never* be in your favor, either here or in life, man.
Old 2008-05-31, 01:16 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

1. The mod that changed the title never identified himself/herself.
2. I have not spouted ultimatums.
3. I have been very civil. When I PMd you with my displeasure about how I believe a certain mod singled me out, this was your response:
"well, you ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group..."
Old 2008-05-31, 01:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
3. I have been very civil. When I PMd you with my displeasure about how I believe a certain mod singled me out, this was your response:
"well, you ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group..."
As I said before, sometimes the titles get changed if a Mod feels it is better for it to be more general. I seriously don't know what the big issue is here.

As for the ratio comment, I think everyone here knows that it is a way to joke with you - take a poke at your ratio. If you can't take the joke, then.... well, I don't know vlad - perhaps we should make a Site Announcement that NoOne Should Joke with Vlad? Or just lighten up a bit Bill and stop assuming everyone is being negative towards you.

Old 2008-05-31, 01:32 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Okay, I just PMd Jonathan per James suggestion and asked "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible". Now I'll just have to wait. I'm done with my rant.
Have a great day.
Old 2008-05-31, 02:22 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Quote:
Quote:
hey - actually, you'll just live with whatever happens. You;ve been pretty shitty about this. You want the entire site modified because you don't like how your interview torrent was named?

What you should have done is just PM the video mod that changed your title and say, "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible" and you'd have received your answer. The end.

It's not like your torrent got pulled. You whine enough for everyone here, combined. I think Lynne has given you the answer you need. It isn't your place to demand that every thread on the site be changed to 'match' anything.

We stick pretty close to our guidelines, but we do deviate when we feel like it is necessary. If you don't like it when it happens to you, talk to the person that did it in a civil manner. Do not demand anything or spout ultimatums.. the result will *never* be in your favor, either here or in life, man.
maybe vlad wants to start his own forum and tracker where he can make up his own rules and run the show. the paranoia and victim mentality are sooooo tiring...

artist/date/venue is what's relevant to most people.

all the other stuff belongs in the info file/show details, which anyone can use in a search to identify a given program.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-05-31, 02:33 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
I suppose you picked his name out of a hat, then, when you PM'd me about it, using his name?
Quote:
read up a bit, where say you won't seed your torrent until all the other titles you mentioned are changed.
Quote:
You know posting PMs in public forums is a no no... but since you just keep re-posting it anyway, out of context, I'll post the entire PM, so people reading this can see you brought up the subject before I said that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
well, your ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group...

I'll mention it to him, but you really should contact him yourself if you have issue with how's he's modding. I'm sure he's just keeping his house organized.
If you'd followed my advice, which you solicited, you'd have likely seen far better results than all this public complaining.
Old 2008-05-31, 02:53 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Hey, I figured it had to be him because he has publicly said he doesn't like me. It was merely an educated guess.
Old 2008-05-31, 03:02 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Cool! You were right! PM him next time.
Old 2008-05-31, 03:38 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

I don't really like my video torrent titles being changed, but as mentioned, it's just someone's perfectionism.

Live and learn.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble