The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-24, 04:05 AM
2.42 GB/242.91 MB/0.10

Downloaded now Seeding - What Does That Mean?

Ive just downloaded a torrent from thetradersden (Prince Small Club). It has finished downloading but now the utorrent screen says it is seeding. What does this mean? Do I need to leave it to complete this before I can burn the torrent onto disc?

Also how do I burn such a huge (568 MB) file? I want to put it on my mp3 player!

Please help me! Im so dying to listen to this concert!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-24, 05:46 AM
60.99 GB/391.09 GB/6.41

Re: Downloaded now Seeding - What Does That Mean?

Seeding means that the download is complete and that you are now sharing the complete download with the other peers. It's best to leave your client on to help those who haven't finished yet.

The file you downloaded isn't huge, it's been compressed to about 60% of the size of the uncompressed audio. If you get foobar2000 you can listen to the files on your computer and decode to wav for CD burning. If you also get the Lame mp3 encoder you can transcode to mp3.

http://www.foobar2000.org/beta/index.html (The latest version has a much improved user interface though it's still beta)
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php
Old 2007-12-24, 05:57 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

its general etiquette to seed back as much as you download [a 1:1 ratio]

it looks like you stopped seeding right now, so what you should do is re-open the .torrent file, point utorrent to the original folder [which it will check and verify all files are there], and then should begin seeding again...you want to leave it seeding until you've shared at least the amount you d/l'ed

if you look next to your screenname in the post above you will see 3 numbers, at the moment yours reads:
29.25 MB/568.75 MB/0.05

the 29.95 is in green, this is how much you've uploaded...the number in blue is how much you've downloaded...your ratio in red is .05 at the moment [meaning you've only seeded 5% back]...you want to keep your ratio above a 1.0 as good etiquette

also, ya might want to read thru our FAQ for more info on some of the terminology and "rules" when it comes to bittorrent and this site in particular...the Glossary can be found here

and feel free to post any questions you have here in Technobabble...good luck!
Old 2007-12-24, 10:37 AM
2.42 GB/242.91 MB/0.10

Thanks very much for your replies, I managed to get it saved to disc and will now try to get it into my mp3 player from the cd.

Oh no!! Once I had saved it to disc I deleted that utorrent file to free up hard drive space. I will read the seeding guidelines and try to reseed it off the cds.
Old 2007-12-24, 11:06 AM
2.42 GB/242.91 MB/0.10

Ive re-added the whole show into utorrent but it is just listed as track numbers so im not sure if the content will be identifiable to peers? Will peers be able to download it from me?
Old 2007-12-24, 11:31 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakofdawn1 View Post
Ive re-added the whole show into utorrent but it is just listed as track numbers so im not sure if the content will be identifiable to peers? Will peers be able to download it from me?
It's needs to be exactly how it was when you downloaded it in order for you to seed it back.

Old 2007-12-25, 04:25 AM
2.42 GB/242.91 MB/0.10

How do I do that? Maybe I should just start a new thread offering the show as a download and add a link? If I can work out how to do that. I will do some reading.....
Old 2007-12-25, 11:13 AM
152.84 GB/793.90 GB/5.19

An easy way to keep seeding is to convert you files (to .wav or .mp3) without deleting the "source files" (I use the Trader's Little Helper). This keeps what you have downloaded intact but allows you to burn/transfer the music and listen to it. I keep my torrent open for as long as I can spare the space on my hard-drive (usually a few weeks, but sometimes as long as a month or two). Many people come to a torrent late in the game by searching for an artist.

Peace,
Chris

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble