The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-21, 10:06 PM
370.84 GB/880.03 GB/2.37

Downloading from multiple PCs

I tend to do most of my dvd downloading from my work PC - we've got the spare bandwidth for downloads, and even though my upload is somewhat limited I'm able to leave things seeding 24/7 and manage to do a pretty good job keeping the ratio up. Even though I can handle the downloads no problem, I don't like to run more than 2 torrents at a time. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm currently running 3. Not a big deal, as that's still ~20-25kBs per torrent, but to me that's really pushing the limits of being a useful member in a swarm.

I have a cable connection at home that I typically (ab)use on a couple of other sites for mainly audio purposes. However, today seems to have been a banner day in the dvd forum here, at least in terms of shows that I definitely want to grab. I don't want to do this at the expense of cutting out early on the ones I have running at work, so was thinking I might download a show or two at home.

For some reason, it sticks in my mind that at one point on one of the torrent sites I've frequented in the past few years, running torrents from multiple IPs under the same login caused problems. I don't think it was here, but can't recall if it was Dime or STG or somewhere else. So...how nicely does the tracker play with multiple logins from different locations? Is it ok to do this, or is it going to cause problems to have updates coming from two different places?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-21, 11:18 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Downloading from multiple PCs

Yes, you may download shows from different IPs here. It was when we didn't have a passkey tracker that there were problems (the tracker kept track of stats by IP and if you were logged on using another IP, it didn't know who you were). You will have problems downloading several shows if you have a low share ratio (below .3), but your's is fine. You will also have problems downloading the same show from multiple IPs, but that's not what you are doing either.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble