The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-12-09, 05:02 PM
322.67 GB/439.65 GB/1.36

How to edit .VOB files?

Is there any way I can edit my .VOB files and convert them back to .VOB without making them lossy? I'm running a mac, so could I convert them to MPEG and then back?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-12-09, 07:08 PM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

Re: How to edit .VOB files?

It is possible to edit a DVD after it's been authored, and have a lossless result. VideoReDo or TMPGEnc dvd author will allow you to cut sections and reauthor without re-encoding. I'm not familiar with programs that can do it on a mac though.
Old 2010-12-10, 11:04 AM
1.12 TB/1.19 TB/1.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalSeeker View Post
Is there any way I can edit my .VOB files and convert them back to .VOB without making them lossy? I'm running a mac, so could I convert them to MPEG and then back?
Just rename VOB to MPEG, then, when done editing, rename VOB again.

Text file of over 1500 DVDs:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxX3...Q2M/edit?pli=1

Trading status: Canada and USA only-please VERIFY all discs.

http://db.etree.org/public_wantlist....erid=tgunn2760
Old 2010-12-10, 04:37 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

the right way is to demux, edit using someting like DVDLabPro and re-mux.
Old 2010-12-10, 10:20 PM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

demuxing isn't necessary for simple trimming, but that's another way. demuxing and remuxing some standalone sourced DVDs can make the audio go out of sync. the way to fix this is to drag the whole VIDEO_TS folder into videoredo or tmpgenc or similar, then do a simple reauthor, then demux if you wanna replace the audio.

a freeware option for simple trimming is DVD Shrink (sorry, windows app again). use reauthor mode at 100% quality. it works great for trimming the beginning or end of a dvd. if you want to pull out selected scenes and make a new dvd for each scene, then recombine them back into one dvd, with dvd shrink each of these scenes will be added as a new title.
Old 2010-12-11, 09:15 AM
322.67 GB/439.65 GB/1.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoverload View Post
demuxing isn't necessary for simple trimming, but that's another way. demuxing and remuxing some standalone sourced DVDs can make the audio go out of sync. the way to fix this is to drag the whole VIDEO_TS folder into videoredo or tmpgenc or similar, then do a simple reauthor, then demux if you wanna replace the audio.

a freeware option for simple trimming is DVD Shrink (sorry, windows app again). use reauthor mode at 100% quality. it works great for trimming the beginning or end of a dvd. if you want to pull out selected scenes and make a new dvd for each scene, then recombine them back into one dvd, with dvd shrink each of these scenes will be added as a new title.
I got some bootlegs, but they have copyrighted material at the end.... :/ And I was gonna try to just trim it out, but not if I gotta spend $80 on a program that's Apple compatible lol.
Old 2010-12-11, 12:57 PM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

i'm not sure if imovie can edit losslessly, but this thread should help:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=88010

if you can get it into imovie and edit, and then rendering to dvd is taking many, many hours, then it's re-encoding the video most likely. if it only takes about 20 - 40 min., then probably not.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble