The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-09, 08:06 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Or as some sites do it, if you're ratio is below a certain point, you can't d/l it at the start.
I guess that is just a punitive measure because doesn't that actually make it harder for someone to improve their ratio (assuming they genuinely are trying to)?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-12-13, 03:43 PM
13.02 GB/166.54 GB/12.79

I do pretty like keeping it the way it is .

bfrank
Old 2008-12-13, 04:08 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Or as some sites do it, if you're ratio is below a certain point, you can't d/l it at the start.
I guess that is just a punitive measure because doesn't that actually make it harder for someone to improve their ratio (assuming they genuinely are trying to)?
Oh yeah. That's about all that accomplishes. Those with good ratios get it first, seed until they hit 1.0, then drop off. Leaving lots of people with bad ratios incomplete if nobody chooses to stay to seed to them. It can only be punishment, since they're never going to improve their ratio having to wait & come in late.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2009-01-02, 05:17 PM
Jesus Christ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

the ban on downloading if you have a ratio less than 0.25 at Dime doesn't discourage hitting&running, because about a third of their membership have still gotten themselves banned.

that leaves you with a club that has a third of its membership out of the game. okay, so you can seed yourself back to 0.25 and start downloading 10 big torrents right away and still uberleech on those.

i think we should just name and shame the assholes, and let them deal with the abashment.
Old 2009-01-02, 05:29 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

WWJD? oh wait we know....
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2009-01-02, 05:34 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=216980

Downloaded: 3.25 MB Uploaded: 11.44 GB Ratio: 3,603.00

Geek.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2009-05-08, 03:23 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

damn some folks here lately are fucking pigs relative to their lack of sharing....they should all be forced to listening to air supply.
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2009-05-08, 08:12 PM
1.08 TB/2.25 TB/2.08

This is such a useless thread
Old 2009-05-08, 09:12 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I was just trying tpo figure out what you guys could be talking about in here that it keeps showing up..
Old 2009-05-08, 09:53 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex231 View Post
This is such a useless thread
Funny how there is an Air Supply mention, and then you have the very next post. Gotta love that search function.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2009-05-10, 09:23 PM
125.78 GB/120.33 GB/0.96

The only thing I can add to this is to remember there are people like me who have an ISP that insanely throttles upload speed.

It will take me on average about a week to upload a DVDs worth of material. That's a big part of the reason I stick mostly to audio shows. Occasionally though I find a DVD that I just can't pass up. It often will take me a month or more to "catch up" if there aren't many leechers after I get the show.

Add in that for some reason the shows I go for usually aren't the most recent or most popular and my seeding chances are often very low.

Just something to think about. I hope to get FiOS in my area eventually and can move to an insane upload pipeline but until then I have to limp along at my craptastic speeds and hope like hell I can keep my share above 1.0 but I really, REALLY have to work at it to do so.
Old 2009-05-11, 03:32 AM
44.15 GB/32.97 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Look at all these inveterate leechers trying to rationalize their stealing from the community

Just a couple thoughts for the bad ratio types -- how many torrents have you killed by not seeding? How do you justify that? Have you ever downloaded a show that had just 1 or 2 seeders? Be glad those people don't act like you.
Some ppl DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF ANY PARTICULAR COMMUNITY in order to listen to music - i know i don't. Forst of all, i like talking to and being around REAL LIVE people rather than talking in the net. But it's not that i don't talk to people in the net, i'm always happy to make personal friends, who are actually interested in what i have to say or i'm interested in what they have to say, nor do i avoid all message boards, but to waste my time yammering about music with random people? No thanks.

We also don't live under outright communism just yet - at least in letter the western society is individualistic. You people gotta re-learn what liberty means and what are the principles behind it.

If you share your recordings, what is wrong with ppl downloading them without giving anything back? You are the one who shared unselfishly, but then you make demands. There are really nice people who share recordings and are happy people appreciate them and enjoy them - and these people don't demand anything back - except perhaps they like to know that their efforts are being appreciated - these are really DECENT sharers.

And i never jump off torrents when i'm the only seeder and someone is downloading - but that's the thing, in the end people who support individualism and liberty are actually decent people - that kind of thing isn't decided by ratio (you wanna know how many people i have sent shows just cause i've had something they wanted? At least over ten - but i SURE AS HELL wouldn't want to do it if i felt FORCED so that someone accepts me and deems me worthy - nor do i ALWAYS do it, sometimes i have my reasons not to.)

But under liberty, even being not decent should be allowed because we're all on our own trips on this planet.

Ultimately, the people who jump off torrents bveing the only seeder etc., are the only ones who know why they do that. If they feel they are doing the right thing - it's their business to learn on their own whether or not they are not. By FORCING A POLICY you will not make a SINGLE PERSON better in any way shape or form on this planet. And ultimately it's not up to you to decide what's better.

And why do i read threads just as this if i don't have time or interest in this "community"? Because i saw the title of the thread and thought i would have something constructive to say.

No need to debate with me, you'll come to your own understanding through the application of your God-given sentience - as have/will i.

Last edited by itnAklipse; 2009-05-11 at 03:40 AM.
Old 2009-05-11, 01:08 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnAklipse View Post
Some ppl DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF ANY PARTICULAR COMMUNITY in order to listen to music - i know i don't. Forst of all, i like talking to and being around REAL LIVE people rather than talking in the net. But it's not that i don't talk to people in the net, i'm always happy to make personal friends, who are actually interested in what i have to say or i'm interested in what they have to say, nor do i avoid all message boards, but to waste my time yammering about music with random people? No thanks.

We also don't live under outright communism just yet - at least in letter the western society is individualistic. You people gotta re-learn what liberty means and what are the principles behind it.

If you share your recordings, what is wrong with ppl downloading them without giving anything back? You are the one who shared unselfishly, but then you make demands. There are really nice people who share recordings and are happy people appreciate them and enjoy them - and these people don't demand anything back - except perhaps they like to know that their efforts are being appreciated - these are really DECENT sharers.

And i never jump off torrents when i'm the only seeder and someone is downloading - but that's the thing, in the end people who support individualism and liberty are actually decent people - that kind of thing isn't decided by ratio (you wanna know how many people i have sent shows just cause i've had something they wanted? At least over ten - but i SURE AS HELL wouldn't want to do it if i felt FORCED so that someone accepts me and deems me worthy - nor do i ALWAYS do it, sometimes i have my reasons not to.)

But under liberty, even being not decent should be allowed because we're all on our own trips on this planet.

Ultimately, the people who jump off torrents bveing the only seeder etc., are the only ones who know why they do that. If they feel they are doing the right thing - it's their business to learn on their own whether or not they are not. By FORCING A POLICY you will not make a SINGLE PERSON better in any way shape or form on this planet. And ultimately it's not up to you to decide what's better.

And why do i read threads just as this if i don't have time or interest in this "community"? Because i saw the title of the thread and thought i would have something constructive to say.

No need to debate with me, you'll come to your own understanding through the application of your God-given sentience - as have/will i.
you need to get out more often and chat with REAL LIVE PEOPLE
Old 2009-05-11, 01:24 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Pre-internet real life trading definitely had a point: You had to give something if you wanted to get something. This is not about a "community", not even "karma", this is about if you understand the meaning of "trading" or not. Especially my Dime-ratio might suck big balls, but at least I´m always throwing my own shit into circulation.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2009-05-11, 06:37 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I still trade. Just did 2 in the past few weeks. Lots of great shows will likely never hit the 'net.

Always good times having shows that fan sites list as "no recording exists."

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers