The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-19, 10:51 PM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

EAC and LAME

So I'm trying to do some experiments to see at what bit rates I can hear the differences between an mp3 file and the original. I am using EAC with the LAME encoder, but it does it all automatically for me. If I try to change the bit rate in the "Compression Options" menu, it doesn't actually do anything. I think that this has to do with the command line options that are automatically filled in. Right now it is set to 192kbps and has the command line option as "%l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d". But, all my mp3s turn out around an average bit rate of 217kbps. This even happens if I change the drop down menu to 40kbps or anything else. Help is appreciated! Thanks.

Phil
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-19, 11:07 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: EAC and LAME

If you just want to make some mp3s for comparison purposes don't bother farting around with settings in EAC. Just rip the track ONCE, then convert it to as many different LAME settings as you want using a frontend such as multi frontend, all2lame, or lame drop.
Old 2005-04-19, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that's a zebra donkey
110.97 GB/130.20 GB/1.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
If you just want to make some mp3s for comparison purposes don't bother farting around with settings in EAC. Just rip the track ONCE, then convert it to as many different LAME settings as you want using a frontend such as multi frontend, all2lame, or lame drop.
Thanks, I will try this for sure. However, I do know that I want to change my EAC settings because the bit rates/file sizes are just way too high and unnecessary. So, any info on how to do that would be appreciated (The Coaster Factory is a bit outdated on this).

-Phil
Old 2005-04-19, 11:22 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I never use EAC to compress, but at a glance it looks like you have too many parameters. Hydrogenaudio.org has a number of threads discussing this topic so I'd have a look there.
Old 2005-04-21, 06:14 PM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

have you read this link yet?
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm

esp. the Controlling or setting the LAME MP3 encoder options.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble