The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-17, 09:23 PM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

CD burning weirdness

I've been making some discs for a local dude, and been having a lot of trouble with them, problems I've never seen before, and I've been doing this a while. Here's the text of his latest message:

Scott: Hi again. Hope you got the package I left for you. Thanks
again for the B&P. I really do appreciate it. Question on 3 of the
shows---Neil Young 9/1/87, Roger Waters 8/19/87, and King Crimson
6/8/95.
These all play but really strange. When it goes to track #2 on each
disc, instead of the time going to 0 and counting up from there, it
goes to 99 minutes and starts to count down. Track #2 is all the songs
until the end of the disc, one big long track. When it gets to the end it
repeats the last few seconds over and over again until the disc runs
out. I'm just wondering if your copies of these 3 turned out the same way?
Weren't these the shows transferred from tape?? Let me know when you
can.
Thanks again!!

I burned them using Feurio in a Vista environment and never had any problems before. I don't know yet if all the discs had that problem or just a couple. Any ideas? Like I said, I'm not a novice.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-17, 10:07 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Re: CD burning weirdness

not familiar with Feurio. And I just started using Vista on a laptop a few weeks ago. So take this with a grain of salt.

Did you play the discs yourself? Did the other person try multiple players? Some older players act funny with burned discs. Did the other person try to play it on the computer? If so what software did they try? I'm throwing questions to see if any of them may have had an effect until someone with more knowledge arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-10-19, 06:08 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Got some discs in a trade from a guy who said that he had a lot of trouble with Vista. Maybe try and burn them with a different program (iTunes, EAC)?
Old 2007-10-19, 08:19 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

I'm beginning to hate Vista.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-10-19, 08:43 AM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

I've hated Vista from day one. Nothing works with it! Feurio said it didn't have the right drivers for the CD burner, Nero, when I tried to install it, gave me this dire warning that said that puppies would die if I tried to install it. Just nothing but headaches. And Media Player is not only and pain in the butt to burn with, it only burns TAO!

I didn't ask him if different players worked differently. The blanks he gave me were audio-only, so I assume he has a standalone burner. I'll ask him more questions and see if I can get the discs back and see for myself.
Old 2007-10-20, 12:53 AM
Compulsive Concert Collector
568.12 GB/1.29 TB/2.32

Lightbulb Re: CD burning weirdness

Thanks for the info: I was beginning to wonder whether I had serious issues understanding gapless CD burning

I turned several otherwise good CD-Rs (several diff. brands) into coasters/frisbees and this after reading several tutorials, trying several different burning programs, and double/triple/quintiple/etc. checking all settings to ensure DAO ...

... to make a long story short, my latest 'frisbee' was created using CDBurnerXP, ensuring DAO was selected, and burning at only 4x. Result? Audio CD player takes incredibly long to 'think about' the CD after insertion, several seconds of the first track were missing at 0:27 (no break: just GONE!) and there were 20 seconds of dead air tacked onto the end of track 1 that don't exist in the .wav or the .flac

I came here looking for help, found this thread and now think the culprit may be my Windows Vista 64! Burrrn would not even write to CD, claiming errors occurred. Thank goodness I have a notebook with a writer and XP instead of Vista on it: I'll try transferring the files, burning from it, and letting you know what happens.

Peace out,

- Arctic
Old 2007-10-20, 02:34 AM
568.12 GB/1.29 TB/2.32

Update below ...

Note: I'd forgotten to mention that other than the reported issues with my last burn attempt under Vista 64 ('very long time to preread CD in an audio CD player,' 'Loss of many seconds of audio at 0:27 without gap,' and '20+ seconds of gap at the end of track 1') the rest of the disc was gapless and fine.

Same conditions on my notebook, same (latest) version of CDBurnerXP with same settings, same .wav files, same burn speed (4.0x for safety's sake), same Ridata CD-R, and only the o/s different (WinXP SP@ instead of Win Vista 64).

Result: nice clean burn on my XP machine. Quick read access in my audiophile CD player (Adcom GCD-750), gapless and smooth as can be.

Verdict: Vista 64 for audio CD burning
Old 2007-10-20, 11:54 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Have you guys tried burning with Exact Audio Copy (free) in Vista? It's the best program for burning and extracting audio CDs, because all the offsets can be corrected and it has error correcting extraction.

www.exactaudiocopy.de
Old 2007-10-20, 01:07 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Try to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention), more here: http://www.realtime-vista.com/admini...tion_preve.htm
Old 2007-10-22, 01:54 PM
568.12 GB/1.29 TB/2.32

Thanks for the tips, Tubular and Pawel! I'll try that in the near future to see whether this cures my audio CD burning woes. I'd downloaded EAC and will also give that a shot (probably after changing the settings Pawel suggested since it seems to my untrained eye that the issues I experienced may be buffer related).

I was annoyed enough to consider wiping my desktop and investing the couple days necessary to reinstall everything but on XP Pro SP2. My opinion of Vista 64 stands: stay far, far away unless you have a fast, reliable second 'box' that has XP and all the software you *need* in case V64 refuses to cooperate. Had I not had my notebook I'd still not be able to enjoy any of my newly acquired shows, making for a very unhappy collector

Cheers,

- Arctic

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble