The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-08, 11:02 PM
1.36 TB/1.28 TB/0.95

Question Please help me, I'm new here

Hello everybody,

I'm new to The Traders Den and also to BitTorrent. I've been using BitTorrent 4.4.1 on my Mac Mini for a few days now. I've found a number of sites with torrents I'm looking for. This site has the best content I've found so far. I'd love to get some of it, but I can't figure out how to do so. With every torrent from other sites, I've clicked on the torrent and the BitTorrent program opens a new slot on its window and begins downloading and uploading. I've tried to do that in many different ways on torrents from this site, but when I click on the torrent link, it opens as a bunch of gobbledygook in a new tab in my browser.

How do I get the torrent to start?
Does BitTorrent 4.4.1 work with links from this site?
I've also downloaded Tomato Torrent. Will that work better?
Can I run two BT programs simultaneously?
Can I resume stopped torrents with a different client than I started them with?

I'm not very computer literate, but I'm not dumb. I've been it able to figure out how to make BT work on other sites and I'm sure there's some obvious trick to making that happen here that's somehow eluding me. Can someone help steer me in the right direction?
BTW, I know about ratios and etiquette. I don't know how to find out my exact ratio yet (perhaps another client will do that for me), but so far according to the info BitTorrent does show I've uploaded about twice as much as I've downloaded. I pledge not to be a pig!
FWIW, my so-so DSL connection does about 2400kbps down and 400kbps up; and I searched all over this site before posting this question.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-08, 11:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Please help me, I'm new here

Which browser are you using? When you click on an attachment from a vBulletin site (that is the forum software we use), it should ask you what to do with the file. At least, it does for me in firefox. You could also do a rght-click Save As (or apple+click Save As) and see if that works for you. You really should get in the habit of saving the torrent file to your hard drive instead of just opening it up. Once you download the torrent file, double-click on it to start it, or drag it over the application icon in the dock.

Yes, BT 4.4.1 works with torrents from here.

I prefer BitTorrent over Tomato. But, I prefer Azureus over both of those.

Yes, you could run two programs at the same time, but if you run it on the same torrent file, it will confuse the clients. I don't know why you would want to run two BT programs at the same time though.

Yes, you can resume them, but you may lose some data.

Old 2006-05-08, 11:28 PM
1.36 TB/1.28 TB/0.95

Re: Please help me, I'm new here

Thanks Lynne!
I was using Opera. I just tried Safari and it worked from there. I should have thought of that myself.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble