The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-25, 01:17 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrayoll View Post
Bill, you will never get into my pants...give it up.

You are the wrong gender in regards to my sexual preference, and even if you were the right gender, you are too old.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-25, 01:18 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

ageism is ugly, you bigot!
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

(I'll fuck off now..thanks for playing)
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

B_K, I just dont like your style. I wish you all the best.
Old 2011-01-25, 01:32 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
B_K, I just dont like your style. I wish you all the best.
I am not so fond of your style either. Wish you the best too.

Still would love to hear your input, as would others. I will and can look past the above posts and personal issues we have and keep trying to make the discussion areas better.

I wish you could too. Most know that you are the one that gets things done, it would be a shame if you let personal feelings get in the way of the best interest of the site.
Old 2011-01-25, 02:12 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, I'll chime in....

First I'll note that after our talk, I did bring The Lounge up in a Staff Discussion just to see what their opinions of The Lounge were - has it changed much? Are aliases a problem? etc. Pretty much I was told it hadn't changed much over the years (people in and out, but the *way* it was hasn't really changed) and aliases seem to be tolerated as long as they aren't created just to troll.

Anyway, onto a few of your other comments. We had combined The Piano Bar and The Lounge at one point, and then we decided that wasn't working and we created two separate forums again.

Right now, Bill (dcbullet) is our Lounge mod. It's supposed to be that he 'runs' that forum, but all the mods have mod privileges throughout the site because it drove me crazy on STG to see something happen in a forum that needed attention and I was powerless to do a thing cuz I wasn't a 'mod' in that forum. All the mods have 'their' forums and pretty much leave other forums alone unless it's a general thing that needs to be done (like a user asks to have a torrent pulled, or a post removed, that sort of thing).

The tags.... tags in vB are either on or off on the site. You don't turn them on only for certain forums. We try to keep them 'clean' in other forums, but we just leave them be in The Lounge. Yeah, I do agree that some of them are more trolling that silly, which is what I had wanted them to be. So, while I don't really want to turn them off, I can see what you mean regarding their being used to troll.

OK, now onto more mods there.... you want more mods so that all the posts are read and all trolling stopped immediately? Or all fights nipped in the bud, so to speak?

I'm trying to get a sense on whether this is an issue that only a few users feel is an issue, or whether it is a Big Issue. I, like others that have chimed in here, would love to hear from some of the other users of the site. So far this thread is filled with comments from those that do go into The Lounge and post, so obviously something isn't keeping them away. It would be good to hear from those to don't dare go into The Lounge and what scares them off - or do they just want their music and that's it?

Old 2011-01-25, 02:21 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
OK, I'll chime in....

First I'll note that after our talk, I did bring The Lounge up in a Staff Discussion just to see what their opinions of The Lounge were - has it changed much? Are aliases a problem? etc. Pretty much I was told it hadn't changed much over the years (people in and out, but the *way* it was hasn't really changed) and aliases seem to be tolerated as long as they aren't created just to troll.

Anyway, onto a few of your other comments. We had combined The Piano Bar and The Lounge at one point, and then we decided that wasn't working and we created two separate forums again.

Right now, Bill (dcbullet) is our Lounge mod. It's supposed to be that he 'runs' that forum, but all the mods have mod privileges throughout the site because it drove me crazy on STG to see something happen in a forum that needed attention and I was powerless to do a thing cuz I wasn't a 'mod' in that forum. All the mods have 'their' forums and pretty much leave other forums alone unless it's a general thing that needs to be done (like a user asks to have a torrent pulled, or a post removed, that sort of thing).

The tags.... tags in vB are either on or off on the site. You don't turn them on only for certain forums. We try to keep them 'clean' in all forums, but we just leave them be in The Lounge. Yeah, I do agree that some of them are more trolling that silly which is what I had wanted them to be. So, while I don't really want to turn them off, I can see what you mean regarding their being used to troll.

OK, now onto more mods there.... you want more mods so that all the posts are read and all trolling stopped immediately? Or all fights nipped in the bud, so to speak?

I'm trying to get a sense on whether this is an issue that only a few users feel is an issue, or whether it is a Big Issue. I, like others that have chimed in here, would love to hear from some of the other users of the site. So far this thread is filled with comments from those that do go into The Lounge and post, so obviously something isn't keeping them away. It would be good to hear from those to don't dare go into The Lounge and what scares them off - or do they just want their music and that's it?
It will take some time to get that sense I think. There are people I know I have talked to privately that share a lot of my frustrations that are seemingly not going to make it public. Understandable.

Hopefully if some people keep seeing this and seeing that it is something of concern to the staff and see some actual dialogue, they will come out of the woodwork and post.

and Lynne you know....

Quote:
it drove me crazy on STG to see something happen in a forum that needed attention and I was powerless to do a thing cuz I wasn't a 'mod' in that forum.
That is why you became an admin there and was first on my list to try and start something else with after it's demise.

I actually understand and respect where you are coming from and it is nice to know that you care enough to entertain the thoughts and discuss in this forum any ideas, as opposed to just closing the lounge doors, which I know you have considered at least a couple of times.
Old 2011-01-25, 02:23 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
It would be good to hear from those to don't dare go into The Lounge and what scares them off - or do they just want their music and that's it?
That is what I was hoping to achieve by starting this thread here.
Old 2011-01-25, 02:29 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post
I am not so fond of your style either. Wish you the best too.

Still would love to hear your input, as would others. I will and can look past the above posts and personal issues we have and keep trying to make the discussion areas better.
Gosh, I didn't even know we had 'personal issues' - thanks for the chuckle.

Here's what I think. I think you preached 'the promised land' and a few users bought into it. But we both know you can't really deliver the goods. I'm enjoying the whatnot.

you want to change the lounge? go make some posts and new threads. Hope this helps.
Old 2011-01-25, 03:23 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think the lounge is not a major part of TTD and I hope it never is. This site is about making live music archives available for free and that is the primary use.

Mission accomplished.

We have several very useful, well controlled forums (for tapers, technical help, etc) that do get heavy use and they work very well.

This stuff you keep spouting about how no one makes an effort, etc, is just like... your opinion, man, and I don't think you have any way of knowing what any of us do.
Old 2011-01-25, 03:32 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

Indeed the tech help is second to none....no other torrent site comes close.
Old 2011-01-25, 04:08 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I've seen all this before at another site I frequented (well, not as frequent any more).

On one side, what some saw as heavy-handed modding. On the other, a group of people going out of their way to oppose it. End result, lots of members driven off or posting/coming by less. Drastic change in the number of posts overall. And the creation of a "Rated R" sub-forum for what were deemed the "unwanted" type of threads/posts.

Didn't work. And the shitstorm still affects the mood to this day (over a year later).

As far as the Lounge...it's not that different. Go back into old threads. Yeah, different people. But still just a regular dozen or so making the majority of the posts.

Yeah, plenty of your old peeps aren't here, Bill. But, then again, you haven't been either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-25, 04:09 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
Gosh, I didn't even know we had 'personal issues' - thanks for the chuckle.
Anytime.

Quote:
Here's what I think. I think you preached 'the promised land' and a few users bought into it.
Or to put it another way, agree. But whatever.

Quote:
But we both know you can't really deliver the goods. I'm enjoying the whatnot.
The only goods I am trying to deliver is bringing it up.

Quote:
you want to change the lounge? go make some posts and new threads. Hope this helps.
That's what I have been doing, as well as, trying to talk to the staff and users about the problems I see.
Old 2011-01-25, 04:15 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

i seeded a torrent at 11am est today / 3 pages of random thanks. it will hit 300+ downloads by midnight and maybe 5 pages of thanks
you started this thread at 12pm est .. and not one random person has posted.

users here care about music. ..next.
Old 2011-01-25, 04:19 PM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I think the lounge is not a major part of TTD and I hope it never is. This site is about making live music archives available for free and that is the primary use.
The discussion side is not a major part of the site, doesn't or shouldn't mean that it is left in a 'nothing more can be done' state.

Quote:
Mission accomplished.
The fact is, it is a part of the site. And the only part that isn't as good as it could be.

Quote:
We have several very useful, well controlled forums (for tapers, technical help, etc) that do get heavy use and they work very well.
Yes, they are modded well and get a lot of attention from the staff. THe lounge would only be better if it was approached the same way.

Quote:
This stuff you keep spouting about how no one makes an effort, etc, is just like... your opinion, man, and I don't think you have any way of knowing what any of us do.
You're right. I only know what is posted and the attitude that is presented by staff about the lounge.

Maybe I need to state again. The rest of the site is great and modded well by a group of people that know their shit and care about the areas they were brought in to mod. Great job. I am not disputing that. I am just saying again that maybe it is time to bring some new people in that might serve that forum as well as the others. Just some dedicated help for DCbullet from people that are not going to oppose changing things in a forum they don't even think is important to begin with.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions