The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-12, 07:16 AM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Re: Slow Downloads....

Thanks for the replys. I do not think I need UPnP. The reason I say that is both of you said, UPnP only opens the port when you need it. Well mine is running 24/7 for almost two years now.
Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-12, 08:31 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ted, I have no idea if it would work on Win98. I am only referring to WinXP. What I'm saying is that Azureus' UPnP feature works with my UPnP enabled router and yet I have the WinXP UPnP Service disabled.

You shouldn't have the WinXP UPnP Service enabled unless you specifically need it. Yes I was referring to M$ Messenger. From what you had posted it sounded like it requires the UPnP Service to be enabled. But I don't have first hand experience with that as I don't use M$ Messenger.
Old 2005-06-12, 08:43 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

@ uhclem - If you're sure you have UPnP servies disabled, then I guess I'll have to use a different source to learn more about UPnP. My "old" source is apparently not too reliable. Thanks for the information and education .

@ mike1061 - It's not a matter of whether yo uneed UPnP or not. It's just a different method that appears to be more secure (not much, but still more). It also has the advantage of being easier to initially set up vs. the port forwarding method (also, a little less knowledge is required). Either one will work though.
Old 2005-06-12, 09:34 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

ok!!! I finally have the name and model of my router. (I was busy ALL day) Also, I had a talk with my father and he educated me on what a router and a modem does, so now I better understand what you are asking.

My Router: DLink DI-614+
Old 2005-06-13, 06:11 AM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Thanks
Mike
Old 2005-06-13, 07:41 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Dextrous, your router is UPnP enabled so you should be able to get a green light in Azureus without having to forward any ports.

To turn UPnP on in Azureus, you need to have the UPnP Azureus plugin installed. I *think* that plugin automatically installs with Azureus, but if you don't have it, get it from the Azureus homepage. Once it's installed go to Options > Plugins > UPnP and check 'Enable UPnP'. For now, check all the other boxes too as they will help you find out whether UPnP is working properly. You can uncheck some of them later, such as the 'Report' ones.

You may or may not have to turn on UPnP within your router too. On my router I didn't have to turn it on at all. It seems that Azureus was able to activate it anyway. But that might not be the case with your router. To find out, exit Azureus and restart it. Look for the little popup window that tells you whether Azureus successfully mapped to the port it is listening on. If it did, you are all done and you should find that you are getting green lights. If it didn't map, then you probably need to turn UPnP on inside your router.

You can double check whether your port is opened by Azureus by selecting Tools > NAT / Firewall Test. This test will show you whether a particular port is opened for Azureus.

The UPnP feature shows a lot of promise. The biggest problem I have found so far is that there is precious little information about it out there. My impression is that all the latest routers have UPnP capability but they don't come with any documentation that explains it, leaving us all to figure it out for ourselves.
Old 2005-06-13, 01:20 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
The UPnP feature shows a lot of promise. The biggest problem I have found so far is that there is precious little information about it out there. My impression is that all the latest routers have UPnP capability but they don't come with any documentation that explains it, leaving us all to figure it out for ourselves.
I couldn't find much info on it either, when I was looking a while ago. My router (Linksys BEFSR41) has the capability, but no documentation. At least none that was available when I got it. They may have something on the website now, though.

For those willing to learn, "hack" sites are around that explain how to modify the firmware to make your router do all kinds of stuff it wasn't originally programmed to do. As far as I know, most of the firmware is Linux based.

Good luck with your setup DextrousJ. I hope it works out for you soon. I know you must be anxious.

Thanks again to you, uhclem, for pointing out some of the details about UPnP that I was unaware of

So much to learn, so little time...
Old 2005-06-13, 01:34 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

uhclem- thanks for looking into that for me. How did you find out that my router is UPnP?

Well, I turned on UPnP in Azureus and checked all the other options below it, just as you said, but when I booted my Azureus up nothing happened. It didn't display a message if it was successful or anything. It might just be that I don't have it enabled on my router..... how do you do that ?.... would you be able to tell me that?
Old 2005-06-13, 01:39 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DextrousJ
uhclem- thanks for looking into that for me. How did you find out that my router is UPnP?

Well, I turned on UPnP in Azureus and checked all the other options below it, just as you said, but when I booted my Azureus up nothing happened. It didn't display a message if it was successful or anything. It might just be that I don't have it enabled on my router..... how do you do that ?.... would you be able to tell me that?
Check out THIS LINK for FAQ and other info about your router.

Check out THIS LINK to find the answer to your question.

Post back if you still need help.

EDIT: @uhclem - I was just browsing D-Link's site and found THIS PAGE. Check out the last last image at the bottom of the page - "Networking Services" - and read the description fo rUPnP. Are you absolutely sure those services are not started (on your computer)? I'm not doubting your knowledge of your computer, but according to this info, UPnP would not work without the services running, which is what I originally thought.

Last edited by Ted; 2005-06-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2005-06-13, 02:10 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

OHH DARN!.... curse my computer ignorance.....

It said to put in my IP Address (default IP Address); I did then a popup box came and said to put in the username and password.... the website you gave me told me what the default of that was as well, but i guess my router isnt set to the defualt.....lol...... I dont know what to put. How would I find out what my username and password is?

Last edited by DextrousJ; 2005-06-13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2005-06-13, 02:40 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Forget my last post.... I guess I am not as computer illiterate as I thought. I went through the FAQ's on that site you gave me and found how to restore the default settings on my router.....
Old 2005-06-13, 02:45 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

well.... another downfall.... I followed the rest of the instructions, but when I go to tools in my router settings page I have no "UPNP SETTINGS" section for me to enable! Does ths mean that my router doesnt support UPnP??

I attached a file to show you what all that I see.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What I see!.jpg
( 122.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by DextrousJ; 2005-06-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2005-06-13, 02:46 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ted, I double checked and I am positive that my UPnP (and SSDP) WinXP services are disabled. But Azureus is running as a type, with green lights, and the NAT check shows that the port I use is open. I think the statement in one of those links you posted, that you must have UPnP running on your WinXP computer is not entirely accurate. Unfortunately I can't find anything conclusive about this issue. I did find one site a few days ago, which I can't find now, that talked about how UPnP should only be running at the hardware level so there is little need to have it running as a WinXP service.

Dextrous, did you look at the UPnP log in Azureus? (Plugins > UPnP). It will give you some information on what's going on. I know that with my router I was able to get Azureus to map a port without even turning UPnP on in my router. BUT I do have it running now because BitTornado's UPnP feature didn't work unless I had UPnP enabled in my router. I had to set it to Internet Gateway Device.
Old 2005-06-13, 02:58 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DO i have to have UPnP???? can I get GREEN on Azureus without enabling UPnP???

uhclem- yes I did do that but nothing was different when I booted Azureus back up.....
Old 2005-06-13, 03:25 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

@ Uhclem - Below is the image to which I refered. Notice Microsoft's description on UPnP - "Description: Allows your computer to discover and control Universal Plug and Play devices." That's why I was thinking you may have been incorrect about not needing the services to be running. You disproved that, and I'm inclined to believe that once more Microsoft doesn't know very much about computers and how they actually work . BTW, MS wasn't my original source of info. That source, as is MS, is not very reliable, in my eyes now.

@ DextrousJ - Yes, your router has to have UPnP. It appears that you do not have UPnP capability. Carefully check ALL of the settings pages and options/buttons to see if they moved the UPnP to somewhere else. If you don't find it, then maybe a different firmware version will give to the capability. I just noticed the image in the link I posted refers to a different model than yours, but the search results DO include yours. I would get in touch with D-Link and ask them if your model has the capability. If not, can you get it? Have the firmware version ready, because they'll most likely ask you. If you have to email, make sure to include the model and firmware version.

Maybe uhclem will know more, but that's all the help I can be until you have the UPnP capability.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble