The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-12-05, 06:26 PM
Qstick333
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

External drive - good choice?

AS a complete newbie getting ready to purchase my first dvd burner I am a bit confused by all the terminology. I am wondering if you could tell me if this product would be a good choice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827187037

If not, what features should I be looking for?

Thaks for the help,

Zach
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-12-05, 09:09 PM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Re: External drive - good choice?

I can't speak about this particular drive -- I don't have it and am not familiar with the brand nor the model (personally I have a Sony and I really like it -- model SONY DVD RW DRU-710A). Anyway, I wanted to ask why go external? If you have a space open in your PC internal is cheaper and very, very easy to install.

Rob
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-12-05, 09:17 PM
Qstick333
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'm not sure if I have space or not. The installation scares the living daylights out of me. I am a complete computer idiot.

My current configuration is a Dell Dimension. I have 2 drives currently. The top is a dvd (play only) drive and the bottom is a cdrw drive. Assuming I would change one of them, what would I want to end up with configuration wise? Just how simple is the installation?

Thanks for any help,

Zach
Old 2005-12-06, 03:27 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

External - try LaCie. Thing with an external is that you can move it between machines. If that is what you want to do.
Old 2005-12-06, 04:52 PM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qstick333
I'm not sure if I have space or not. The installation scares the living daylights out of me. I am a complete computer idiot.

My current configuration is a Dell Dimension. I have 2 drives currently. The top is a dvd (play only) drive and the bottom is a cdrw drive. Assuming I would change one of them, what would I want to end up with configuration wise? Just how simple is the installation?

Thanks for any help,

Zach
External is certainly easy, but if you can turn a screwdriver you can install one. I swapped out my play only DVD in my Dell Dimension with an internal Sony DVD burner and all you have to do is open the case (no tools required -- look in the book that came with it), remove the 2 screws holding the DVD player in place, unplug it, plug in the new one, screw it in place, and reassemble the case. Takes about 10 minutes. It could not be easier.

Rob
Old 2005-12-06, 06:55 PM
Qstick333
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Is there a down side to pnly having the one dvd drive? I was thinking that I could copy the disc while it was "playing" in the play only straight to disc? I am completely new to this, so I'm not too sure how dvd burning works.
Would it be better to replace the dvd play only or the current cdrw drive?

With either of those - what are the chances that the connections between the old drive and the new one will be the same and not need extra wires??? I have a pretty big fear of screwing the computer up.

Zach
Old 2005-12-06, 08:09 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Is there a down side to pnly having the one dvd drive? I was thinking that I could copy the disc while it was "playing" in the play only straight to disc?
Can't do that.

Quote:
Either or really. I have one drive that plays both and burns both. Dunno why they gave you two drives...

Quote:
With either of those - what are the chances that the connections between the old drive and the new one will be the same and not need extra wires??? I have a pretty big fear of screwing the computer up.
Zach
The chances of different wires is 0%. Rob couldn't have spelled it out any easier. It's really a couple of screws and two sets of wires. Done. Then install the drivers and you're flying.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...d_recorder.htm

Or, if you are really uneasy, take it to Best Buy or something and have them install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-12-07, 04:39 PM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Quote:
Is there a down side to pnly having the one dvd drive? I was thinking that I could copy the disc while it was "playing" in the play only straight to disc? I am completely new to this, so I'm not too sure how dvd burning works.

Zach
Zach:

I never want to underestimate anyone, but you cannot screw up. It is literally replacing one box with another box. One box plays/burns CDs. The new box plays/burns DVDs.

There are no wires. There is just a plug, and it's universal. You just unplug the old drive and plug in the new. Turn two set screws to secure it in place and turn the PC back on. It is very, very easy to do, or undo. You are not going to damage your PC.

I recommend removing the CD burner instead of the DVD player as the DVD player probably also plays CDs, and the DVD burner you are installing will also burn CDs. Generally, DVD drives play/burn CDs. CD drives don't play/burn DVDs. Keep both DVD drives. Ditch the CD only drive.

Rob

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble