The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-21, 09:56 PM
63.47 GB/49.97 GB/0.79

Unhappy ARRRGH!

after a few years of virtually no problems downloading shows & decoding, I am now being plagued by incessant errors to most everything i've collected here in the past month.

this message via xACT is driving me nuts (every other program i've DL'd has been met with the same)

/Volumes/My Book/pj1993-xx-xx.vs._demos.flac16/01.flac: 01.flac: *** Got error code 0:FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_ERROR_STATUS_LOST_SYNC
01.flac: *** Got error code

i'm sure one of you guys will be able to shed some light on this for me...

mac os x 10.4.11
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-21, 10:07 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: ARRRGH!

all your flacs have that problem or what percentage would you say of the files exhibit that problem?
Old 2008-02-21, 11:02 PM
63.47 GB/49.97 GB/0.79

within the past month i'd say its about 50%
Old 2008-02-21, 11:10 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Bought any new memory lately? Or had any hardware problems? Do you have any archived shows you can put back on your harddrive and then see if you get the same problems?

Old 2008-02-23, 01:03 PM
63.47 GB/49.97 GB/0.79

now that you mention it i did have some HD issues back in December when my MacBook fell down & went BOOM! the good folks at the mac joint had to do a full save & replace my HD.

so does that mean that every other show I DL is going to be useless from here on out?
Old 2008-02-23, 01:06 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

maybe its time to stress test your hardware.
Quote:
MacBook and MacBook Pro: Using Apple Hardware Test
Last Modified on: May 29, 2007
Article: 303605

Apple Hardware Test is a comprehensive suite of test utilities, designed for advanced troubleshooting of hardware issues on Macintosh computers. It's provided on bootable optical media and used by holding down the "D" key while the MacBook Pro starts up.

While portable computers, like MacBook and MacBook Pro, can normally be used with external peripherals attached (like a keyboard, mouse, external display, and so forth), you shouldn't have any external peripherals attached while running Apple Hardware Test. For best results, run Apple Hardware Test on your MacBook Pro without any accessories connected except for the power adapter.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303605
Old 2008-02-23, 01:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffae View Post
now that you mention it i did have some HD issues back in December when my MacBook fell down & went BOOM! the good folks at the mac joint had to do a full save & replace my HD.

so does that mean that every other show I DL is going to be useless from here on out?
The ones from here on out *should* be fine, but the ones from before the drop may be affected from the drop. Are you having problems on the ones you are downloading *now*. Have you verified the files using the fingerprints you are downloading? (xACT > checksum tab > drop the ffp in the box > Checksums)

Old 2008-02-23, 01:54 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I'd say they might be more affected by them recovering and reloading them on a new drive.. if they didn't verify the data after copying, there's no telling how many files could be affected by having read them from a faulty drive.
Old 2008-02-23, 02:55 PM
63.47 GB/49.97 GB/0.79

The ones from here on out *should* be fine, but the ones from before the drop may be affected from the drop. Are you having problems on the ones you are downloading *now*. Have you verified the files using the fingerprints you are downloading? (xACT > checksum tab > drop the ffp in the box > Checksums)[/quote]

ya know, in all these years i've never thought of verifying the files but now i am and of course the first ones i did from a show i DL'd earlier last week furnished me with this;
BlindMelon-Minneapolis 1993-08-02.txt: OK
Track01.flac: FAILED
Track02.flac: FAILED
Track03.flac: FAILED
Track04.flac: FAILED
Track05.flac: FAILED
Track06.flac: FAILED
Track07.flac: FAILED
Track08.flac: FAILED
Track09.flac: FAILED
Track10.flac: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 10 of 11 computed checksums did NOT match
Old 2008-02-23, 03:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffae View Post
The ones from here on out *should* be fine, but the ones from before the drop may be affected from the drop. Are you having problems on the ones you are downloading *now*. Have you verified the files using the fingerprints you are downloading? (xACT > checksum tab > drop the ffp in the box > Checksums)
ya know, in all these years i've never thought of verifying the files but now i am and of course the first ones i did from a show i DL'd earlier last week furnished me with this;
BlindMelon-Minneapolis 1993-08-02.txt: OK
Track01.flac: FAILED
Track02.flac: FAILED
Track03.flac: FAILED
Track04.flac: FAILED
Track05.flac: FAILED
Track06.flac: FAILED
Track07.flac: FAILED
Track08.flac: FAILED
Track09.flac: FAILED
Track10.flac: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 10 of 11 computed checksums did NOT match[/quote]
And that is from a show you downloaded after the drop and fix? What happens if you start the torrent again? Assuming all the files in the torrent are OK (take a quick look at the thread and make sure no one is reporting that there are problems), and assuming those files are hosed, then the torrent should start again and 'fix' the files. If instead your torrent client thinks you are all done and the files are fine, then you have some issues with your computer, not with the torrent software/files.

Old 2008-02-23, 04:07 PM
63.47 GB/49.97 GB/0.79

i just DL'd it a few days ago.
i will try DLing my troublesome ones again to see what my Transmission says and i will also check the threads.

thanx much for your time.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble