The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-10, 10:26 AM
156.40 GB/162.23 GB/1.04

Angry Cable Company not happy with my BT

They sent me a nasty letter saying I've been using too much bandwidth at 80g in one month. If I don't "significantly" reduce my usage, they will make me get a commercial account!!!

With just a very few videos, it is VERY easy to get to 80g in one month.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-10, 10:49 AM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Cable Company not happy with my BT

You think that's bad? Our ISP when we lived in Lawrence, Kansas freaked out when we used more that 10 GB in one month (and that was combined upstream/downstream).
Old 2007-02-10, 10:58 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

One thing you could do is look for someone else with similar tastes in music as you and then 'split' the downloads. You download half the DVDs, (s)he downloads the other half. Then every month (or two) you copy the DVDs and send them to the other person. Kinda like a trading partner. Best thing to do would be to make a post in the DVDs you are downloading looking for someone and/or putting something in your sig about it.

Old 2007-02-10, 11:07 AM
156.40 GB/162.23 GB/1.04

Thanks for the idea! I don't want to have to "ration" myself to one video a month.
Old 2007-02-10, 11:15 AM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.13 TB/1.61

You probably want to read your contract first (you know, the paperwork you got when you signed up). Mine was so vague that I did not have a leg to stand on. Here is the thread I started when I was exploring this options http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=30373

You may have lots of isp's to choose from if you burn your bridges with the current one. Here in Canada, there just aren't that many. So, I had to tread carefully (especially because I need the internet for my day job). I told them that my router was unsecured. And I get lots of big files from work. And, I was getting some music from legal trading sites like etree. It isn't their business what you are doing on the internet, so don’t feel any pressure to tell them anything if you don’t want.

They told me that there was "enhanced" service that would bump me from 60G to 100G for $10 CDN (afterwards, my isp confided that they were slugging it out with many of their customers over bandwidth issues). I don't see this problem going away. The isp's just don't have the infrastructure to support the true potential of the internet. I choose the soft approach, not being the confrontational sort. The only other choice in my area has a 30G or 40G cap, so I felt like I did ok.
Old 2007-02-10, 12:40 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennsylvaniaPete
Thanks for the idea! I don't want to have to "ration" myself to one video a month.
at 80GB, that's at least 16 'videos' month if the DVD is full.. I don't think I download 16 DVDs in an entire year... maybe...

probably wouldn't kill you to step back a hair.
Old 2007-02-10, 04:56 PM
156.40 GB/162.23 GB/1.04

Some Grateful Dead video's are 10G alone. PLUS that 80G also includes uploading, which I feel it only fair to do.
Old 2007-02-10, 09:20 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I see. Makes sense. I'd say you need a new provider, or a trading buddy, then.
Old 2007-02-11, 06:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

like lynne suggested, a bt partner is good...hell i collected for years with no bt/broadband, so it isn't hard to do

theres regular mail trading, loops, vines...all of which we have forums for...pretty much most of the GD/Phish torrents here are quickly seeded in the vines forum...Vine Rules and sign-up info are linked in my sig below, and posting for mail trades in Snail Mail should get you some replies
Old 2007-02-14, 10:42 AM
Heretic
54.63 GB/60.94 GB/1.12

The thing that sucks is that SO MUCH of the traffic on the internet is SPAM, but it's too difficult (read expensive) to stay on top of. So they go after their customers. Get a handle on zombie pcs, phishing, SPAM, and all those rich people in Nigeria who need my help, and you'll have enough room in the pipes for your paying customers.
Old 2007-02-14, 06:04 PM
RIP Syd Barrett
70.24 GB/152.89 GB/2.18

I would have thought that if your plan has either no limit or a limit above 80GB then they can't really complain. I have a plan which is throttled if I download more than 10GB on peak or 10GB off peak. Yes, I've had emails from my ISP telling me I'm close to the limit or even over the limit but I figure I'm within their rules downloading more than the limit as I'm throttled if I reach that point.

DS
Old 2007-03-08, 12:02 PM
scoobyscooterboy
201.76 GB/594.70 GB/2.95

Location: Western Australia, tranquil and provincial and sooo quiet..........and I love it for all of that!

Here in Perth I get a 20GB limit a month, 12 GB off peak (12.00pm - 8.00am) and 8GB peak.

After I hit 20GB (which is getting more frequent!) a month my speed gets shaped to 64kb/s. On ADSL2+ with a 'normal' connection of 16 mb/s, getting shaped becomes a little noticeable.

Having said that, uploads are not considered part of your monthly allowance and after you have been shaped, there is (seemingly) no longer a limit.

So if i am patient, then some months i can pull down 30GB plus.

And then as luck would have it, the isp had a glitch in the matrix over Christmas and the download limit never kicked in!

I brought down nearly 150GB of stuff, when I realised what was going on!

Though after 3 weeks of being on, my pc freaked (Christmas is summer in Australia and it was hot)and the resultant reboot meant that I finally got shaped......
Old 2007-03-08, 04:23 PM
IP address 81.203.102.117
186.04 GB/237.29 GB/1.28

Bad ISPs

ONO incluida, por supuesto! LADRONES-ESTAFADORES-MENTIROSOS...

Why emule crypto works, for me, and not the utorrent-azureus-bitcomet encryption?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble