The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-28, 06:40 AM
23.42 GB/47.23 GB/2.02

Speeding up downloads [ABC client with McAfee Firewall]

I'm on a home network: my computer doesn't have firewall, but the server has McAfee with firewall turned ON. My Bittorrent client is ABC. I was wondering if anyone had any specific information about obtaining faster download speeds using the software that I have. At the moment My download speeds range from 1kps (common) to 30kps (rare), and I feel this is far too slow. The network uses a broadband connection at roughly 590kps, so what download speeds should I be expecting? Please help - many thanks.

[I have tried opening ports on McAfee but I didn't really know what I was doing so I probably got it wrong]
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-28, 10:50 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Speeding up downloads [ABC client with McAfee Firewall]

First off, bittorrent talks in terms of Bytes, whereas ISPs talk in terms of bits. So, your ISP saying it can get 590 kbps, is like 590/8 kBps or 74 kBps max. So, your BT client is getting at max about half that speed. So, it does sound like you should be able to get a bit more out of your system (although you didn't mention what type of upload speeds your were getting at the same time you were getting those download speeds).

I'm not an expert on McAfee, so hopefully someone else can step in here to help you out with that.

Old 2004-12-31, 06:36 AM
23.42 GB/47.23 GB/2.02

Thankyou, that's a help - if anyone has any experience with McAfee, I would be very grateful for a bit of advice.
Old 2004-12-31, 07:53 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

How are you connected to the server? Through a router?

I have McAfee Virus and Firewall. All I have to do is allow permission to the programs that I want to access the Internet. But it sounds like your client is reaching the Internet, so that's probably not the problem.

What kind of connection are you running? DSL, Cable? Where you're downloading, are the other computers on your network accessing the Internet too?
Old 2004-12-31, 07:55 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Oops...I just saw that your connection was a good one.

Quote:
[I have tried opening ports on McAfee but I didn't really know what I was doing so I probably got it wrong]
This got me thinking......I have the "personal" edition of McAfee. Since you're running a home network, are you running a "server" edition?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble