The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-01-31, 11:29 PM
801.75 GB/815.08 GB/1.02

ratio going nowhere

ok this is my first post other than some thanks here and there , so go easy on me. my ratio has been a pathetic .22 for a few months now. it was never all that great but its staying at .22 with no variation weather i've been downloading stuff lately or not. also it says i've only uploaded 41.44 gigs ,and i know i've shared more than that i've been a member for a few years. so after reading up on all this i end up on the "hall of shame" thread for megaleachers. i dont wanna end up there but i know i've uploaded more than 41 gigs this whole time, theres almost ,if not, that on my utorrent tracker now. after poking through the forum i know now that im not doing a good thing by having a ton of torrents seeding.also i et stuff from btetree and the ratio shown on the utorrent screen always shows more uploaded than downloaded. as far as having a ton of seeds im kinda conflicted because i've been the guy downloading .02kb/sec hoping the seed doesn't leave me stranded. so my questions are should i remove shows from my tracker as they reach a certain ratio?, why is the total gigs uploaded so low, i'm positive i've uploaded more than that over the years, and is there anything else i can do to get my ratio right
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-01-31, 11:50 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: ratio going nowhere

Hi

The tracker sees you as firewalled, so people likely can't really connect too well to you for leeching. Means you won't upload much. You;re probably only uploading to people from whom you're downloading... when you switch pieces, your upload likely stops.

To answer your question, you need to forward a port on your router to your computer, then set your torrent client to use that port.

At that point, you'll have more people able to connect to you and pull data without you having to connect to them first.
Old 2012-02-01, 12:27 AM
801.75 GB/815.08 GB/1.02

ok thought i took care of this all ready , apparantly not . I think i have it all straightened out now ,canyouseeme can indeed see me again. new router, new isp (DSL>cable) needed a static ip. am i good now?
Old 2012-02-01, 09:46 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Sounds like you are.

One thing to note... seeding a show with 0 leechers will not improve your ratio at all. 0 leechers means nobody is wanting to download that show at the moment. You may want to occasionally check your torrent client and make sure the shows you are seeding actually have leechers on them. It's also best, unless you have unlimited bandwidth, to pick a couple of shows to seed at a decent speed, rather than pick many, many shows that will seed at a very low speed.

Old 2012-02-01, 06:00 PM
801.75 GB/815.08 GB/1.02

yeah i didn't know that till the other day ,i removed 351 torrents from my tracker last night. I guess im some kind of torrent hoarder. i should get a show on the "history" channel

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble