The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-02-04, 09:26 AM
460.45 GB/785.69 GB/1.71

Firewall question

I know this must come up alot since there is a "notice" post about it. I have read through some the checks, but have yet to go into anything real technical.

Here is what I'm dealing with. I successfully downloaded one show from this site and saw I was labeled as firewalled. However, I downloaded from another site and was able to upload on that site, so I must have a port open.

I went to the can you see me webpage and entered in some port numbers, including the one that utorrent says for incoming connections, but everything comes back as "error can not see your service".

So what gives? I am very very new to this, but it would seem that if I can upload on one torrent site I should be able to here as well, correct?

I have Vista and Norton where I have added exceptions for utorrent to pass through those firewalls. My router is LynSys WRT54G. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-02-04, 09:37 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewall question

You can still download when you are firewalled. All it means if you are firewalled is that you may only connect to other users who are NOT firewalled. This is fine for a nice busy torrent. You can have problems however if there are only 3 of you on a torrent and all of you are firewalled because none of you will be able to connect and share with each other.

Old 2011-02-04, 09:43 AM
460.45 GB/785.69 GB/1.71

But users can connect to me on another torrent site. This is where I'm confused. How could I be firewalled here, but not there?
Old 2011-02-04, 09:53 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s--k View Post
But users can connect to me on another torrent site. This is where I'm confused. How could I be firewalled here, but not there?
If you are firewalled you can still download and upload. It's just you can only download and upload to non-firewalled users.

What show did you download at TTD? Did you join the torrent when it was initially seeded or did you come in at the end of its life. That could be the reason why you didn't upload to anybody... because nobody was there to upload to.

I'd recommend finding a new torrent where there are few seeders but many leechers. You'll then be able to upload.

If you want to fix the 'firewall' issue, you will need to log into your Linksys router/modem and forward the port used in uTorrent. Instructions can be found at :
http://portforward.com/english/route...G/Utorrent.htm

Last edited by DanielG; 2011-02-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2011-02-04, 11:28 AM
460.45 GB/785.69 GB/1.71

The first show I did was an old one. I'll try to hop onto a show that is fresh and see what happens then.
Old 2011-02-09, 08:56 AM
460.45 GB/785.69 GB/1.71

I finally got in on a newly posted show last night, one with a low seed and high leeching number. There have remained other leechers after my download complete yet I have only uploaded 200mb or .234 for this show after 12+ hours.

I am new to this, and maybe it is something simple...I understand that you tell me I can only upload to nonfirewalled users, ok. My question still remains this, on two other torrent sites I have been able to upload beyond 100% of my download, no issues there I have ratios of at or near 1.0. What makes this site different? Surely I don't need to do any port forwarding do I when this is the only one of three sites I have a problem with?

Thanks for any info.
Old 2011-02-09, 02:44 PM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High

Quote:
.. What makes this site different? ..
This site isn't any different than other sites. I see you are seeding 2 torrents, one has no leechers at the moment (PF) and the other one (GD). I also see that on the GD torrent there is a member with a ratio of 18.00+ (very high upload speed), which isn't helping your case. Just hang in there, keep your connection and eventually you'll get there.
Quote:
.. Surely I don't need to do any port forwarding do I when this is the only one of three sites I have a problem with?
No you don't need to, but if you do it will benefit your up and downloading.
Old 2011-02-09, 04:41 PM
460.45 GB/785.69 GB/1.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
This site isn't any different than other sites. I see you are seeding 2 torrents, one has no leechers at the moment (PF) and the other one (GD). I also see that on the GD torrent there is a member with a ratio of 18.00+ (very high upload speed), which isn't helping your case. Just hang in there, keep your connection and eventually you'll get there.

No you don't need to, but if you do it will benefit your up and downloading.

OK, thanks. Just getting my feet under me on this stuff and figuring out how it all works together.
Old 2011-02-09, 08:56 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

What I need to know is how can I forward my neighbors ports, and I am not even sure what neighbor it is, but I am sure they are firewalled and it is cramping my style.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble