The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-08-01, 12:46 AM
21.52 GB/70.98 GB/3.30

External Mic issues with Edirol R09 HR

So I upgraded to an Edirol recently and tried it out using my external mics I've used for about 3 years.

Nothing but problems. Doesn't matter if I use the mic input or line in and have the record level cranked all the way all I get is distant distorted sound and it barely registers on the meters... there is nothing wrong with my mics as the still work with the old equipment. If I remove the mics then the internal ones work fine...

Anyone have this problem or can provide any suggestions

I am using Sound Professionals Modular Binaural Microphones (SP-BMC-3) btw
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-08-01, 02:49 AM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: External Mic issues with Edirol R09 HR

Are you using a battery box? Or do you have the plug-in power on the R-09HR turned on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2008-08-01, 04:58 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

can't seem to find the specs on the R-09 HR's phantom power, could be that the phantom power is turned on but not supplying the correct voltage as well
Old 2008-08-01, 05:20 AM
292.52 GB/346.75 GB/1.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Are you using a battery box? Or do you have the plug-in power on the R-09HR turned on?
Sounds like you got the newer Edirol (HR). I've been using the R-09 with and without Core Sounds mics. The EXACT problem you state happened to me when I DIDN'T shut the plug in power off. Hopefully it's that simple, but I have zero knowledge on your mics you use. Besides this issue how is the new Edirol? Been contemplating purchasing one.
Old 2008-08-01, 10:22 AM
21.52 GB/70.98 GB/3.30

Thanks everyone. I will try things when I get home from work. I did try a bunch of different combinations with battery box etc when at the venue but was rushed and had to watch my back so I am not 100% sure if I tried whats been suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso-shane69 View Post
Besides this issue how is the new Edirol? Been contemplating purchasing one.
It works great even with the internal mics. The biggest pain in the ass I've found is that it has two blinking light on it when it is recording. A couple pieces of hockey tape fixed that. I asked alot of people that had one about it and the only consistent thing I was told is to watch for the mic jacks as they are not built as good as they could of been. They are located on the side of the unit so if you don't have an angeled mic plug it can be tricky. I was told to try and not get the HR version as there is some "unfriendly to taper changes" from the 09, but I could not locate one that was cheaper then the HR... I think it is a great investment.

Its great for getting into venues. I walked with it in my hand through pat down. They asked whats in your hand, "My phone". Let me in no issues lol
Old 2008-08-01, 11:14 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockker View Post
I walked with it in my hand through pat down. They asked whats in your hand, "My phone". Let me in no issues lol
lol - awesome jedi skillz!
Old 2010-05-14, 05:53 AM
46.96 GB/23.05 GB/0.49

[quote=rockker;942982]Thanks everyone. I will try things when I get home from work. I did try a bunch of different combinations with battery box etc when at the venue but was rushed and had to watch my back so I am not 100% sure if I tried whats been suggest.

It works great even with the internal mics. The biggest pain in the ass I've found is that it has two blinking light on it when it is recording. A couple pieces of hockey tape fixed that.

There is a very simple way to deal with that issue.It will flash a few times then the red light stays on.If you follow the simple directions below,after a few flashes it turns itself off,so there is no red light at all while recording.

this info was given to me when i had this problem.

Go to "Display Setup"
Scroll Down to "Rec/Peak LED" and change to "Power Save"
Old 2010-05-14, 04:58 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

[quote=PEPPER;1422360]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockker View Post
Thanks everyone. I will try things when I get home from work. I did try a bunch of different combinations with battery box etc when at the venue but was rushed and had to watch my back so I am not 100% sure if I tried whats been suggest.

It works great even with the internal mics. The biggest pain in the ass I've found is that it has two blinking light on it when it is recording. A couple pieces of hockey tape fixed that.

There is a very simple way to deal with that issue.It will flash a few times then the red light stays on.If you follow the simple directions below,after a few flashes it turns itself off,so there is no red light at all while recording.

this info was given to me when i had this problem.

Go to "Display Setup"
Scroll Down to "Rec/Peak LED" and change to "Power Save"
Yes, there's also something in the menu to change how long the lights will flash (and the display brightens up) - you'll probably want to bump it down to 2 seconds (the shortest one). Also recommend bumping the display brightness down to maybe 3 (out of 10)...
Old 2011-06-11, 02:17 PM
Trading since 1985
43.01 GB/113.10 GB/2.63

With the Edirol R-09HR using external mics with a batt box is the plug-in power switch supposed to be on or off?
Old 2011-06-11, 03:26 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

off

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote: