The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-12, 09:40 PM
46.44 GB/30.23 GB/0.65

Re: Help with Port Forwarding...

you wouldn't believe it, but Sygate works just fine when I don't set any preferences whatsoever. No need to plug in values for port forwarding, no need to specify any IP address. It seems that if I *do* try to set up ports, Sygate blocks the program (though perhaps I'm still not understanding something) - but if I just click "accept" when the firewall asks if it should allow the program to connect to the internet, that's all there is to it! Magic

thanks for the replys all,

Roger Waters - Hamburg 1970
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-12, 10:21 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

ive got a major problem going on. i was tinkering with port fowarding for my linksys router. i follwed the guides and whole thing and now i only connect to seeders on a download. no other peers and thus im not uploading at all.
im pretty sure ive been following the guides correctly but i think something got screwed up in the process.
and maybe this is the root of the problem, the ethernet light on my modem and the WLAN light on the router are blinking like mad.
any ideas?
Old 2005-01-12, 10:42 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

They should always blink like mad. That shows that there is activity going on.

You aren't uploading *at all*? Ever? But you are downloading?

Did you check your ip address through ipconfig?

Also, you can do a NAT check here to make sure you have done your port forwarding correctly: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

Old 2005-01-12, 11:01 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

i can download. my speeds seem a little lower that usual. but hardly any uploading.
it will show peers and ill upload for a min or so but then all the peers disapear.
i played around with the settings again and i kept failing the natcheck

is there another way to my ip address without using ipconfig? when i type ipconfig into my run prompt, the control window (or whatever) opens for a second then disapears.

ugh-curse technology
Old 2005-01-13, 03:57 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rents
is there another way to my ip address without using ipconfig? when i type ipconfig into my run prompt, the control window (or whatever) opens for a second then disapears.
XP, right? Try this:

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-01-13, 10:15 AM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

doh im sorry, i still have windows ME

probably yet another reason i can never get anything to comply
Old 2005-01-13, 10:49 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think it's still the same, rents.

Old 2005-01-13, 11:18 AM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rents

ugh-curse technology
try typing cmd into run prompt, this will give you a dos window, then type ipconfig
Old 2005-01-13, 11:49 AM
87.60 GB/367.35 GB/4.19

To find your local IP address with ME or Win98, type winipcfg in the run dialog box. That will show your local IP, will be in the format of 192.168.1.xx, it is this address to which the ports should be forwarded for torrents to work right. If you have a hardware router/firewall, which , IMHO (I'm a computer tech by trade FWIW), then you typically go to the port forwarding page in the router setup and add the range of 6881-6999 to be forwarded to the IP address that you came up with in the winipcfg lookup.

The caveat in this set up is that you need to give your computer a permanent, ie static, ip address if you have more than one PC on a network and DHCP turned on in the router settings. If you ALWAYS turn on PC #1 first, chances are good that you will get the first available IP address from the IP pool, ie. 192.168.1.100 (if that is your starting number in the DHCP range, could be anything, this is just an example) and the above advice will still work. If you have more than one PC on your network, then you should set up, minimally, your bit torrenting PC with a permanent local IP.

Go to the Properties for your local network, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the properties button for that and in the next dialog you can see two options: obtain an IP address automatically or use the following IP address. Check use the following IP adress. Now you make up your IP address: 192.168.1.XXX (XXX can equal anything from 1-255, usually your router uses 1 so ignore that option, lol, pick anything 10 or higher to insure peace of mind). Subnet mask is generally 255.255.255.0. Default gateway value HAS to be the router address, typically it is assigned 192.168.1.1 (with Linksys, others use 192.168.0.1 or other variation) but your user manual will always tell you what the address is. No manual, go online and find out.

After you get these values set up, you may need to reboot, depending on your OS, I think ME will make you do it, and then you can go back into you router settings>port forwarding page and enter that newly minted IP address into the port forwarding address area. At this point you should be good to go!

ME doesn't have any internal firewall to obfuscate connectivity, so that can be a good thing. If you have broadband, you must if you are downloading and sharing torrents, do yourselves a favor and ditch the software firewalls, spend the 35 dollars and get a hardware device. Much more reliable, way easier to configure, can network multiple PCS. And after you get that going, you might try Zone Alarm out so that you ferret out those nasty Spyware things which try to send out info from your PC without your implicit permissions.

Hope this helps.
Old 2005-01-13, 01:05 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

wow-thanks for the info/time..ill try these things out
Old 2005-01-13, 08:12 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

ive now solved the problem and in the process got the green light to come on. what a good feeling. and it was such an easy thing i was missing, its embarrasing. but isnt that how it always works? you always overlook the smallest details.
Old 2005-01-13, 10:20 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

rents, you should post what was wrong just in case it helps someone else who may overlook the obvious. (It happens to all of us).

Old 2005-01-13, 10:25 PM
capitals of tin
593.11 GB/595.50 GB/1.00

lol its so embarrasing

basically i was putting the wrong numbers in for my IP address when i was tweaking my router.
it all seems a little overwhelming at first but, after you read the guides and other peoples advice/instructions..its pretty easy
Old 2005-06-15, 03:48 PM
8.08 GB/10.16 GB/1.26

Sorry for bringing this up again but I'm having problems too.

I'm trying to do a port forwarding. In the instructions on portforward.com, it tells me to open a browser and type in the IP adress (which I got from the ipconfig prompt), I always get a 'couldn't connect' error.

I'm on Windows XP, but without SP2 (was causing me hardware+software problems). So it seems that I can't do a port forwarding with that either.

I shut down my XP firewall, but the light on bitTornado is still yellow.

I'm on cable. My download rate isn't actually that bad but my upload rate is ridiculous. 5kB/s, if I'm lucky...
Old 2005-06-15, 05:40 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

What model router are you using?

"'couldn't connect' error" seems to indicate you may not be using a router or maybe yo uhave to reset/reboot the router. Also, if you have a router, make sure the CAT-5 or USB cable is good and that it is connected.

If you're not using a router, I can't help any more. I'm not familiar with the XP firewall, but read the portforward site again. There might be instructions there, on how to configure it.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble