The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-12-21, 02:23 PM
34.99 GB/77.27 GB/2.21

EAC & Drive Offset

So are optical drives getting better and thus no offset? I just built this computer. I kept my burner but got a new dvd drive. I never ripped cds using my burner so I never determined my offset for the drive before.

So, since I had a new drive that the offset needed to be determined I figured may as well do my burner. Funny thing, Both drives had no missing or extra samples and therefore no offset. I find this strange, 2 drives from different manufacturers bought 15 months apart.

So here's the procedure I used, and the same I've always used and the same as my goggling found.

1. Decode shn or flac set to wav
2. Burn cdr
3. rip newly created cdr
4. use eac to compare wavs. Original wav from flac 1st in the compare

I had a real old version of eac at first. Thought that could be problem. I installed the latest version and same results. Do I actually have 2 drives with no offset?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
d
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-12-21, 03:11 PM
82.13 GB/36.38 GB/0.44

Re: EAC & Drive Offset

I am certainly no expert but I have performed the same test as you (actually, going even further, downloading a copy of a disk I had bought, ripped the disk and then compared), and they were identical.

Now that's lossless!
Old 2009-12-24, 04:27 AM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

http://xs.vc/eac/

don't skip any steps. when you get to the AccurateRip portion of the setup, it will determine the correct offset.
Old 2009-12-24, 05:56 AM
34.99 GB/77.27 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytravis View Post
http://xs.vc/eac/

don't skip any steps. when you get to the AccurateRip portion of the setup, it will determine the correct offset.
Thanks fer the link! so I got to the accurip part and scrolled thru the list of cds. after a bit everything looked the same. So I'll go back thru and find somethnig on the list I have.

However, say I have a cd and it was released again and the new release is different somehow, how do I know acurate rip is going to be correct.

What puzzles me is my old version of eac gave 0 offset.

we'll get this figured out. need to find a cd in my collection that's on the list.

happy holidays!
d
Old 2009-12-24, 10:26 AM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

the list isn't accurate anymore, there's more than 20,000 discs in the database now. try a couple of different ones.
Old 2009-12-25, 09:41 AM
34.99 GB/77.27 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytravis View Post
the list isn't accurate anymore, there's more than 20,000 discs in the database now. try a couple of different ones.
How about 39 different ones? after 37 cds with one found in the database, half the remaining ones not in the databse and other half not the correct pressing, I finaly got an idea! I pulled out some box sets and bingo bango! the next 2 were in the database! Box sets seem to only have one pressing, or at least the 2 I checked.

The first drive when running accruate rip wanted 3 discs to check, ergo the reason for so many discs. The 2nd drive only asked for 1 disc to check the database

And what's more interesting is that accurate rip determined both drives have +6 samples and +24 bytes!!!

I still don't know why comparing wavs from a known wav and a ripped wav didn't render anything other than zero for both drives. But now both my drives, instead of 0 offset, have +6!!!

I'm thinking of putting my old cd rom in and trying the compare wav method and the accuate rip method. I know the offset for that, if it were correct.

Thanks for your help Randy!

Last edited by bc2hander; 2009-12-25 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fergot something

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble