The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-10-04, 01:32 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

Firewalled, Port forwarding help!

So it says I'm Firewalled and on dreamingtree.org. So shouldn't i not be able to seed at all? Except my bittorrent is uploading and says it's connected to peers in swarms and what not. Does this mean I'm not really firewalled? I've been to portforward.com and tried to set up a static IP but when I did that then I lost internet connection. Could anyone explain or help me out with this portforwarding business, I'd really like to get my ratio up!

Thank you,

Mal
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-10-04, 01:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewalled, Port forwarding help!

Being firewalled simply means you cannot connect to other firewalled users. So, if other non-firewalled users are on a torrent, you will be able to connect with them and share data.

When you set up the static IP, you need to both change it on your computer and on the router at the same time or it will not work.

Old 2008-10-04, 01:46 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Being firewalled simply means you cannot connect to other firewalled users. So, if other non-firewalled users are on a torrent, you will be able to connect with them and share data.

When you set up the static IP, you need to both change it on your computer and on the router at the same time or it will not work.
Do I need to be connect via ethernet to do this? Because I have my router set to use a static IP but then when I do it on my computer it loses connection.

Last edited by macaronihead; 2008-10-04 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2008-10-04, 02:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Sometimes when you do it on your router, it says something like only allow static IPs in a certain range (192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 as an example). Does yours say anything like that? Cuz perhaps you are picking an invalid IP to be using for your computer.

Old 2008-10-04, 02:05 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

Quote:
Sometimes when you do it on your router, it says something like only allow static IPs in a certain range (192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 as an example). Does yours say anything like that? Cuz perhaps you are picking an invalid IP to be using for your computer.
Now I got the static IP to work, yet I'm still firewalled here and still not connectable on dreamingtree.
Old 2008-10-04, 02:56 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, baby steps! You're on your way!

Now you need to forward your port in your router. You need to note the port you are using in yoru bittorrent client (make sure it isn't set to randomly pick one) and then note your computer's static IP (the one that looks like 192.168.1 xxx) and get into your router and forward that particular port number to that particular static IP. portforward.com should be able to help with that - go to the Port Forward tab and select your router model/make and then your bittorrent client and it should tell you how.

Old 2008-10-05, 04:48 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

Quote:
OK, baby steps! You're on your way!

Now you need to forward your port in your router. You need to note the port you are using in yoru bittorrent client (make sure it isn't set to randomly pick one) and then note your computer's static IP (the one that looks like 192.168.1 xxx) and get into your router and forward that particular port number to that particular static IP. portforward.com should be able to help with that - go to the Port Forward tab and select your router model/make and then your bittorrent client and it should tell you how.
ah I've done that before and it always errors! It says internal error when i try to do that. I have a netgear wgr614v9 router. when i try to set up the port when i enter the IP server it says: Triggering Internal Error!
Old 2008-10-05, 05:13 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

If i'm downloading more than one torrent on a time do i need to add more ports in my router set up? and it was telling me the IP address had to be LAN IP. so they're being forwarded to my computer's IP? I'm just so confused.
Old 2008-10-05, 05:51 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Here is a page for the Netgear WGR614v9 router and Azureus (you never said what bt client you used). Did you follow a page like that before?

Old 2008-10-05, 06:24 PM
541.55 GB/267.20 GB/0.49

yeah i used that page i use bittorrent. I set up a static IP, supposedly forwarded my ports... I just don't know what the deal is.
Old 2008-10-05, 07:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Here's the page for bittorrent - http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm

What port are you trying to use? And how about what local IP are you using? Notice that you need to select port forward, not port trigger. It sounds from your error that you selected port trigger.

I am pretty sure that if you use bittorrent, then you will need to forward several ports. If you plan to have five torrents running at a time, you will have to forward five ports.

Old 2008-12-08, 10:44 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I have been searching for a solution to this problem for hours.
Finally I discovered that you have to switch UPnP off in order to be able to forward the ports.

UPnP can be found in the left menu. Good luck!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble