The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-06-28, 04:29 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Can I make a case for AIFF files in the Audio Torrent Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
We allow for 24bit audio in Flac files. Why not try FLAC fontend to encode them and, do that to distribute, so more people can benefit?
FLAC Frontend can't handle AIFFs, they must be in WAV format.

GRC, try the foobar2000 method described above to convert AIFF to FLAC. It's painless, free, simple, and more importantly, it works! It's a lot less painless than dealing with Audacity, because it's just a simple conversion, there are no sample rate or bit depth boxes to check.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-06-28, 04:41 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post

Tell me about it - I archived a few shows to 24-bit a while back, and it was EATING CDs.

If I'm going to make a 24-bit transfer for torrenting, I'll want to keep an archive copy for myself, and that means burning it to CD to put on the shelf.

Regards, Graham
You could still archive them to disc using the bolded method. Transfer > track > compress to FLAC & write text file > torrent & archive. I use DVD+R so I can fit lots of shows on one disc in FLAC format. It's much more efficient than burning data CD-Rs. A lot less time spent burning, and all the shows are losslessly compressed.

Archiving uncompressed WAVs or AIFFs to CD-R is about the most inefficient way to archive IMO, no offense.
None taken, but your method requires a soundcard with digital input, and a PC with a DVD burner, neither of which I have at present, and they're not on the shopping list.

The AIFFs are/were in the Masterlink (on the HDD), and so is the CD drive, so that's where they went.

Regards, Graham
Old 2008-06-29, 09:45 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
They'll play back on the Masterlink as well as a computer.

The reason I ask is that some people are asking me in PMs for 24-bit copies of some of my torrents - so they apparently have a use for them, whatever it might be.

800 bucks for a Masterlink in the US equates to about 400 UK pounds - which in my book is a BARGAIN - I paid 699 UK pounds for mine a couple of years ago. If I could get one over here for that money I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

It's not about ME 'hooking the PC up to the stereo' and playing the 24-bits here, as I can just plug the Masterlink into the stereo and play them on that - it's about how to get them to other people who are asking for them; I can make 16-bit, 44.1kHz torrents easily, but Audacity doesn't want to co-operate with making 24-bit flacs, and ideally I'd like to shortcut the process and get the AIFFs direct to the people who ask for them.

At the end of the day, I could burn the CD24s and mail them out, but if I can do it more efficiently by torrenting them................

Regards, Graham
if that piece of equipment works for you - thats great.

After reading all these posts, I'm not sure why/how you feel getting AIFF files out of this masterlink system is so difficult.
AIFF file format has been around forever..its not proprietary.. its a common standard.

your system burns AIFF to small capacity CD's
burn out all the data from the masterlink internal hard drive (i read its a 4GB hard drive).
now you have several 96/24 DATA audio discs (in AIFF format)
put the DATA discs in your computer & transfer.
use Foobar2000 to convert/compress to FLAC > seed out your torrent.

is this not clear ?

regards,
me

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2008-06-29 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2008-06-29, 11:02 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
FLAC Frontend can't handle AIFFs, they must be in WAV format..
I know that.. I assumed he needed to use a better encoder than audacity since it wasn't working for 24 bit...

AIFF can be converted to WAV with very little trouble, since it's nearly the same thing. Most people won't take the time to do it, but I'm sure Grahanm could. Then he could use the more standard encoder to get better results, was my point.
Old 2008-06-29, 11:45 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
Quote:
They'll play back on the Masterlink as well as a computer.

The reason I ask is that some people are asking me in PMs for 24-bit copies of some of my torrents - so they apparently have a use for them, whatever it might be.

800 bucks for a Masterlink in the US equates to about 400 UK pounds - which in my book is a BARGAIN - I paid 699 UK pounds for mine a couple of years ago. If I could get one over here for that money I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

It's not about ME 'hooking the PC up to the stereo' and playing the 24-bits here, as I can just plug the Masterlink into the stereo and play them on that - it's about how to get them to other people who are asking for them; I can make 16-bit, 44.1kHz torrents easily, but Audacity doesn't want to co-operate with making 24-bit flacs, and ideally I'd like to shortcut the process and get the AIFFs direct to the people who ask for them.

At the end of the day, I could burn the CD24s and mail them out, but if I can do it more efficiently by torrenting them................

Regards, Graham
if that piece of equipment works for you - thats great.

After reading all these posts, I'm not sure why/how you feel getting AIFF files out of this masterlink system is so difficult.
AIFF file format has been around forever..its not proprietary.. its a common standard.

your system burns AIFF to small capacity CD's
burn out all the data from the masterlink internal hard drive (i read its a 4GB hard drive).
put the DATA discs in your computer & transfer.
use Foobar2000 to convert/compress to FLAC > seed out your torrent.

is this not clear ?

regards,
me

"Is this not clear?" you said.

Don't be so condescending. This isn't The Lounge.

I didn't say 'getting the AIFFs out of the Masterlink' is 'difficult'. I can manage them onto the PC as AIFF files without any hassle at all. I asked about the possibility of including them as a valid file type in Audio torrents, so that those who asked for them could get them. You said you'd read all the posts.....?

"your system burns AIFF to small capacity CD's
put the DATA discs in your computer & transfer. "

Yup. Managed this fine the last time I did it.

"use Foobar2000 to convert/compress to FLAC > seed out your torrent."

This is the only stage that I haven't tried yet; last time, I used Audacity, as folks here had suggested it would happily cope with, and output, 24-bit/96kHz, but despite many attempts, all it would output was 16-bit/44.1kHz.

I don't have a learning difficulty, you know..... just because I haven't used foobar2000 YET, doesn't mean I have problems in understanding it or using it.

Regards (sort of), Graham
Old 2008-06-29, 11:56 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

sorry about 'the tone' graham. I didn't mean to insinuate anything negative towards you personally.

sometimes im an ass - Ill work on the character flaw. Glad to hear you've got it sorted. I feared this was heading toward three pages.
Old 2008-06-29, 01:37 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I just did this: took a 24/96 FLAC > converted to .aiff with foobar2000 > imported 24/96 .aiff into Audacity > changed **5** different settings in Audacity (changed track sample format from 32bit float to 24bit, disabled dithering, changed default sample rate to 96kHz, changed default sample format to 24bit, changed uncompressed export format to signed Microsoft 24bit WAV--which isn't immediately obvious, you have to select 'other' from the drop down box to access this option) > exported 24/96 WAV that can be encoded with FLAC Frontend or TLH. However, Audacity is changing the audio data somehow, because this exported WAV > encoded to FLAC DOES NOT MATCH THE ORIGINAL FINGERPRINT.

In other words, it's a real pain in the ass to do it with Audacity and will not yield bit perfect results. This is partly because Audacity is a fully featured audio editing/processing program. Foobar2000's conversion process, on the other hand, is elegantly simple. There are only a couple options, similar to FLAC Frontend: select FLAC level (1-8), replay gain processing (leave unchecked), DSP processing (leave unchecked), replay gain scan output files as albums (leave unchecked). And no audio data is changed in the conversion process with foobar2000.
Old 2008-06-29, 01:57 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I know that.. I assumed he needed to use a better encoder than audacity since it wasn't working for 24 bit...

AIFF can be converted to WAV with very little trouble, since it's nearly the same thing. Most people won't take the time to do it, but I'm sure Grahanm could. Then he could use the more standard encoder to get better results, was my point.
How many free Windows GUIs can rewrite a 24bit .aiff's header to .wav, and do the conversion bit perfectly, other than foobar? Maybe dbpoweramp?

I'm sure it's really easy with shntool w/an .aiff 'plugin', but that's command line.
Old 2008-06-29, 02:17 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

well, i hadn't been using the 'free' price-point as criteria since he's using an $800 recorder to transfer...

Graham, I think sharing the 24 bit audio here is great (and beneficial), i just think it needs to be 24-bit WAV and not AIFF... and FLAC'd. The seeder doing the work once to convert - not every leech having to convert after downloading, makes the most sense to me.
Old 2008-06-30, 01:26 AM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

There are lots of free lossless conversion GUIs: FLAC Frontend, TLH, mkwACT, xACT, Monkey's, foobar

And you'll get the same results converting .aiff directly to FLAC with foobar2000 as you would converting .aiff to .wav with some program > FLAC with FFE if you use the same version of FLAC and the same encoding level.

It needs to be FLAC to reduce the size, so that less data has to be uploaded and downloaded. Once it's in FLAC, it will tend to be converted to .wav on a Windows machine, and .aiff on a Mac--if it gets converted at all.
Old 2008-06-30, 09:52 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
There are lots of free lossless conversion GUIs: FLAC Frontend, TLH, mkwACT, xACT, Monkey's, foobar

And you'll get the same results converting .aiff directly to FLAC with foobar2000 as you would converting .aiff to .wav with some program > FLAC with FFE if you use the same version of FLAC and the same encoding level.

It needs to be FLAC to reduce the size, so that less data has to be uploaded and downloaded. Once it's in FLAC, it will tend to be converted to .wav on a Windows machine, and .aiff on a Mac--if it gets converted at all.

If you convert AIFF to FLAC, what happens when you decode the FLAC? Do you get an AIFF file or WAV file? I had assumed you would get the AIFF file back?
Old 2008-06-30, 11:10 AM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
If you convert AIFF to FLAC, what happens when you decode the FLAC? Do you get an AIFF file or WAV file? I had assumed you would get the AIFF file back?
Once it's in FLAC, it can be converted to either aiff or wav, and it doesn't matter if the FLAC was sourced from wav or aiff. That's the beauty of it--Windows users and Mac users can convert any FLAC to their systems' default uncompressed audio format for burning CDs or editing/processing, and then upload, say, a remaster in FLAC that anyone can make use of.
Old 2008-06-30, 11:36 AM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

^^ I should say decode instead of convert.

AIFF encoded to FLAC can be decoded directly to WAV or AIFF

WAV encoded to FLAC can be decoded directly to WAV or AIFF

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble