The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-06-27, 03:43 PM
4.11 GB/117.78 GB/28.68

how many shows to share at the same time?

excuse my ignorance, i'm new to sharing shows i've taped via torrenting.
i've likely just overlooked this somewhere.
is there any negative impact besides it using a lot of bandwidth & possibly irking your isp?
also, how long should you leave the torrents up? i've done 6 so far but would like to add more.
thanks,
-s
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-06-27, 04:05 PM
Knee-Deep In The Hoopla...
161.07 GB/214.90 GB/1.33

Re: how many shows to share at the same time?

if you're on cable it shouldnt be too much of a problem to leave a lot on. especially since once the first few people complete the file (hopefully) they will stay on afterwards to help seed and take some of the load off of your connection. ive only seen clients have a default limit set for simultaneus downloads, not uploads. even so you can change the settings to allow you to download/upload as much at the same time as you want. sometimes i have about 35 going at once between jungleland, planetrocklosslesbootlegs, dime, tpb and here.

then i download crap via sites like 4shared too

ISPs will most likely only get pissy if you max out your download limit, right now comcast just slaps you on the wrist once you break 350gb, but i dont think they have any restriction on uploading. i could be wrong though, but i truly doubt it. ive only ever dealt with comcast so i know their limit but not sure what the limits are for other isps if they even limit it at all

bring on the shows man!!

Check out my list here
Old 2012-06-27, 06:41 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

When starting a new seed, it's best to throw all of your bandwidth into that seed until enough people have it downloaded to keep it going with good speed. You can pause the uploading to the shows you have already seeded until then, and then, if you want, open everything back up. Utorrent allows you to set the maximum number of upload slots active at any one time. If you spread your bandwidth too thin, no one is going to get much from you. By setting the maximum number of uploads fairly low, you will be able to get the leechers you are connected to through in a reasonable amount of time and then utorrent will open up other connections as needed.
Old 2012-06-30, 02:51 AM
59.00 GB/103.90 GB/1.76

From what I read, there are some problems seeding more than ten shows at the same time at TTD:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...17&postcount=4
Old 2012-07-21, 04:16 PM
4.11 GB/117.78 GB/28.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasan View Post
From what I read, there are some problems seeding more than ten shows at the same time at TTD:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...17&postcount=4
i read the post but can you explain how to fix this besides going elsewhere? i've got quite a few shows i'm trying to share but each time i add a show, i have to close utorrent & reopen otherwise it's red for new post. (not 1 seeder)

sorry, i've taped about 1000 bands over the years but this apparently won't work for sharing more than just 10?

see attachment...

thanks,
stephan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg limit.exceded.JPG
( 23.3 KB, 105 views)

Old 2012-07-21, 04:48 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

There's only so much you can squeeze down the pipe.

The combination of your ISP, your torrent client, etc. will dictate how much data you can send. Let's say this peaks at 100kB per sec

If you're seeding one show, you can potentially deliver 100kB of that show to the leechers on that show every second.

If you're seeding 10, you can deliver 10kB of each to the leechers for each show every second.

The more shows you pile in, the slower it will get for those leeching, surely, because each show will get less of your available data?

(Any techie feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark with this...)
Old 2012-07-21, 05:02 PM
4.11 GB/117.78 GB/28.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
There's only so much you can squeeze down the pipe.

The combination of your ISP, your torrent client, etc. will dictate how much data you can send. Let's say this peaks at 100kB per sec

If you're seeding one show, you can potentially deliver 100kB of that show to the leechers on that show every second.

If you're seeding 10, you can deliver 10kB of each to the leechers for each show every second.

The more shows you pile in, the slower it will get for those leeching, surely, because each show will get less of your available data?

(Any techie feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark with this...)
sorry, i should have specified that i meant regarding torrents & errors. i'm well aware of bandwidth allocation.
-s
Old 2012-07-21, 06:41 PM
59.00 GB/103.90 GB/1.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedtrailertrash View Post
i read the post but can you explain how to fix this besides going elsewhere? i've got quite a few shows i'm trying to share but each time i add a show, i have to close utorrent & reopen otherwise it's red for new post. (not 1 seeder)

sorry, i've taped about 1000 bands over the years but this apparently won't work for sharing more than just 10?

see attachment...

thanks,
stephan
Well, I haven't got so many new shows to share like you. My ISP gives me 2.5 MegaByte download, but only 0.2 MegaByte upload. But I can still seed a show to a couple of new seeders within three or four hours. After there are a few new seeders, lets say ten, I don't feel the need to seed the same show for weeks, until someone asks me to give a helping hand...

Rome wasn't built in a single day, a saying goes. I don't think it is that bad to seed your shows one after one. Each new recording is a treasure and the community will be grateful for sharing it. It doesn't matter how long it takes to spread it.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:31 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedtrailertrash View Post
sorry, i should have specified that i meant regarding torrents & errors. i'm well aware of bandwidth allocation.
-s
You asked if there was any 'negative impact' - I'm suggesting that slower and slower downloads for the leechers when you put more and more shows into the mix is a negative impact, surely...?
Old 2012-08-15, 10:11 PM
423.86 GB/1.57 TB/3.78

I have red lines for my TradersDen shows. Like the above it says "Max of 10 allowed"... I'm prepared to accept this but I have had the 6 I have right now (in red) for months... and I have SIX. Do correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 6 was less than 10. I have a 60MBit/4MBit connection, so bandwidth isn't a problem.

Now if 6 turned out to be 9, I don't mind... but it's still less than 10!!!

Sometimes when I log in here it tells me that I'm firewalled (just under my login details top right of screen) WHILE uploading a show to a leecher!!! It's just a glitch, I hope. I might have to restart the pc a few times... just a mild pain...

p

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble