The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-06-18, 10:28 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

I know there's no easy solution to this problem, but I'm getting a little tired of seeding to low-life's who bail right after they complete a download. What I would like to see is a user's ratio appear everywhere their name does, not just in a post or on their profile page. That way, if I see a 0.17 user leeching a torrent I have, I won't even bother seeding it. Now that the site logs every visitor to your profile I don't want to have to check every time and give someone the satisfaction. Perhaps it's not the charitable thing to do, but neither is sucking up bandwidth and good intentions with no effort to return the favor.

Maybe a lot of people get to feeling this way at one point or another, and I'm there now. I worked for my ratio, and I don't mind sharing with people who are willing to do the same, but I've about had it with 'thoughtless leechers'. If you're not going to ban them, I'd at least like to deprive them of my contribution.

Just a thought, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-06-19, 08:33 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

The last few audio torrents I completed, I was quite happy to leave them open for whatever it took, but shortly after completion, I found there were no peers to connect to..... so just closed them down.

Happy to give, but if no-one's there to take, what can I do?
Old 2009-06-22, 10:21 AM
Not Banned or Suspended... Yet
7.38 GB/10.10 GB/1.37

Share ratio shouldn't mean anything. The share ratio is an internet pyramid scheme. In order for the leechers to maintain the status quo "share ratio", there must be enough new leechers to support the old ones. I don't think that is possible anymore
Old 2009-06-22, 02:27 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeKiller View Post
Share ratio shouldn't mean anything. The share ratio is an internet pyramid scheme. In order for the leechers to maintain the status quo "share ratio", there must be enough new leechers to support the old ones. I don't think that is possible anymore
people with a decent ratio never post comments like this

Pyramid scheme huh? suppose you start downloading a torrent when it is first posted like several others, why should your ratio be any different from theirs (assuming your ISP doesn't throttle your bandwith) unless you cut and run off to another download right away - there should be many folks downloading it so you can seed it back. If you are trying to download too many shows at the same time your downloads will be slow, maybe then you cannot share back enough before most of the people downloading it already grabbed it.

Maybe you are trying to download too much at once?
Old 2009-06-22, 07:12 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

When I seed a torrent, one person in aggregate will have a zero ratio on that torrent. Once I go past "1" more than one person will have less than a 1:1 ratio. By my average ratio, I deprive 6+ people of any ratio at all, every time I seed. If I wanted more people to get to 1:1, I would superseed and then turn off my client as soon as I've uploaded the show.

But I don't.

It's just math.
Old 2009-06-23, 11:01 AM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
....By my average ratio, I deprive 6+ people of any ratio at all, every time I seed. .....
Greedy ratio whore.

------------------------------------
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
------------------------------------
Old 2009-06-23, 10:16 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

I'm gonna start a cut-and-run policy to help the leechers improve their ratio.
Not even gonna upload while I'm downloading.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2009-06-27, 07:09 PM
2.56 GB/2.69 GB/1.05

Question Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

I try to leave things up as much as possible, but my ratios are low due to lack of interest (amazingly, for Bob Marley stuff). The real problem is, though that Comcast makes it difficult to share, even though I'm paying top dollar for the high speed 'service'.
Old 2009-06-27, 09:34 PM
395.43 GB/138.30 GB/0.35

Thought you had to have a .25 to be able to download. Isn't that good enough? Sounds to me like more web nit-picking. Worry about your own ratio. Let the mods worry about the rest.
Old 2009-07-24, 10:43 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

bad ratio is the new good ratio

Old 2009-07-28, 09:07 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

I am not a taper. When I download something I believe will be of value I appreciate the gift someone has given. I try to remember to thank them for their efforts. I do not see enough of that taking place. I am not perfect mind you. Second I believe in leaving the torrent open for several days and checking to see if there is someone who is trying to upload before closing it out. Seems like a reasonable approach to me. I do not download what I perceive by the number of hits are the top popular shows but have still been able to maintain a 1.7 ratio by this method Others could try the same approach

jr.

But what if the one guy is right and the 10,000 is wrong

Remember to give the Staff/mods and everyone all the respect they have earned !
Old 2009-07-28, 09:15 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by don miller View Post
I am not a taper. When I download something I believe will be of value I appreciate the gift someone has given. I try to remember to thank them for their efforts. I do not see enough of that taking place. I am not perfect mind you. Second I believe in leaving the torrent open for several days and checking to see if there is someone who is trying to upload before closing it out. Seems like a reasonable approach to me. I do not download what I perceive by the number of hits are the top popular shows but have still been able to maintain a 1.7 ratio by this method Others could try the same approach
I still think we should ban thoughtless seeders. Hey Don!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2009-07-28, 09:27 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

Interesting thought for everyone to think about. How would one define a thoughtless seeder ?? Is it someone who uploads a show wo all the correct info, or someone who uploads a show some may perceive to be of lesser value ? This opens a lot of rooom for problems. Maybe its best left alone !

And a hello to you as well !!!

jr.

Old 2009-07-28, 10:26 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

A few more thoughts as this for whatever reason bothers me. I believe that those who do all the work to upload should be appreciated certainly. Keeep in mind that this is a community of many people and we do not know each other that well.

The problem that I see is that some feel they should get something back or restrict others who they feel do not hold up their share as perceived by whatever group who decides its what they should do. The problem w that is that it is not what giving is about. Giving is somehting that someone does because they feel that they want to. One does not give in expectation of a return.

A little over 7 years ago I gave a kidney to my brother. I did not expect a return. It made me feel good to be able to help another person. And as an aside he is a design engineer for a music affilaiated company. Without his work many musicians would not have what they have today. We might not hear as many nice uploads as we do.

I guess my point is we are all different and give in our own way. We give because we want to, not because we want a return. Perhaps it would be better to change the term from leechers to grateful recipients. Then it would be up to those who do receive to give the desrved thanks to the uploader.

To impose limits I believe is wrong. People upload shows becauses they want to share. People leave shows open for ohers for a reasonable period of time to give a sort of a payback and piggyback on the uploaders generousity. We should be bale to live w whatever level that is and be happy that we were able to help. There will always be those who take advantage, To compromise ones ideals because of that is a sad result.

Nough said.

jr.

Old 2009-07-28, 11:03 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by don miller View Post
A few more thoughts as this for whatever reason bothers me. I believe that those who do all the work to upload should be appreciated certainly. Keeep in mind that this is a community of many people and we do not know each other that well.

The problem that I see is that some feel they should get something back or restrict others who they feel do not hold up their share as perceived by whatever group who decides its what they should do. The problem w that is that it is not what giving is about. Giving is somehting that someone does because they feel that they want to. One does not give in expectation of a return.

A little over 7 years ago I gave a kidney to my brother. I did not expect a return. It made me feel good to be able to help another person. And as an aside he is a design engineer for a music affiliated company. Without his work many musicians would not have what they have today. We might not hear as many nice uploads as we do.

I guess my point is we are all different and give in our own way. We give because we want to, not because we want a return. Perhaps it would be better to change the term from leechers to grateful recipients. Then it would be up to those who do receive to give the desrved thanks to the uploader.

To impose limits I believe is wrong. People upload shows becauses they want to share. People leave shows open for others for a reasonable period of time to give a sort of a payback and piggyback on the uploaders generosity. We should be able to live w whatever level that is and be happy that we were able to help. There will always be those who take advantage, To compromise one's ideals because of that is a sad result.

Nough said.
Bravo!!!!!! I was posting to point out the inconsistency of thought...I upload shows because I want to...not because someone forces me to. I expect nothing in return...Anything I get is a bonus...I would record the shows that I do regardless. I record because I want the music...and because I want the music, I think that there might be others out there who want the same, but for whatever reason, are not able to get it on their own...Giving it to them is just a bonus...more enjoyment = better life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers