The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2009-04-19, 11:10 AM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

The invisible seeder

I know things have been whacked since the domain theft, but I found something a bit surprising yesterday. I was waiting for a seeder to show for a torrent that didn't list one, but decided to go ahead and get it started, since there were a few leechers pretty well along. When I began downloading (using the new tracker url) plenty of seeders showed up, and the torrent completed quickly. Apparently, I connected to some folk not listed here, and I'm guessing they're still seeding the old tracker. I didn't think that would work, since I'd seen several posts saying their old torrents would not connect, but apparently it does (at least for some torrents).

Anyway, I thought some might find this interesting. If you're waiting on a seeder for what looks like an orphaned show, try firing it up and see what you get.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-04-19, 11:21 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: The invisible seeder

Interesting. The tracker is responsible for initially connecting you to others - and also for updating stats. The hash for the torrent is still the same no matter the announce url. So, perhaps that is what is going on? Or, you could be connected to others just via DHT. I really don't know enough of the nitty gritty about trackers to know exactly what went on for you. However, I am fairly certain that those who connected to you will not get their stats updated.

Old 2009-04-19, 11:25 AM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
However, I am fairly certain that those who connected to you will not get their stats updated.
Indeed. I´m seeding here and there though at the moment, much too lazy to update stuff. Still hoping coming back to our old home and everything´s fine again with visibility.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2009-04-19, 12:01 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
Indeed. I´m seeding here and there though at the moment, much too lazy to update stuff. Still hoping coming back to our old home and everything´s fine again with visibility.
I did make a post showing how you can change the url for all your torrents with just a couple of clicks. It was for Azureus/Vuze, but someone said it's the same as for uTorrent.

Old 2009-04-19, 12:03 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Yeah, I read that, thanks for that advice. As said: Too lazy. Good opportunity to better my ratio on Dime, BTW.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

Old 2009-04-19, 12:36 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:
Interesting.
However, I am fairly certain that those who connected to you will not get their stats updated.
Well, I guess I'm sorry for their ratio, but I can't help that.

I noticed, when I started seeding a few of my torrents using the new url (and announcing it in the thread), that it seemed a few people were moving along faster than I expected, and wondered if they were feeding each other that much or picking up some other seeders. I'm always a tad skeptical of the ul/dl speed stats posted in the thread, but you can usually guesstimate when a torrent might complete if you're really the only seeder. That got me to try the 'orphaned' torrent (Prince 1991 PAL), which had 300+ completed before the fubar. Glad I did.

I wonder if those folks have found the new site yet, or just left the seed running. Do you have some way of email notification to members? It's looking more like GoDaddy is in no hurry to correct this problem any time soon.

Luckily for me, my client of choice (Deluge, which is multi-platform btw) has an 'edit tracker' option that's sinfully easy to use - I didn't even need prompting to try it out. Ain't I swell ?
Old 2009-04-19, 01:08 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
I wonder if those folks have found the new site yet, or just left the seed running. Do you have some way of email notification to members? It's looking more like GoDaddy is in no hurry to correct this problem any time soon.
I don't ask members to verify emails, and so I don't want to send out a ton (80,000 members!) of emails to users and have a bunch of them bounce. I also HATE getting emails from sites. If people are wondering what happened to the site, I have posted on our journal, Dime's yahoo group, tapecity, jamtothis, and planetrocklossless. I think it's also been posted on a few other forums. It's also available on google. Users can find the place if they look. I haven't put a whole lot of effort into it figuring that a week or so off of a site isn't the end of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
Luckily for me, my client of choice (Deluge, which is multi-platform btw) has an 'edit tracker' option that's sinfully easy to use - I didn't even need prompting to try it out. Ain't I swell ?
I need to add that to our software links page. I assume it is free? But yes, Azureus/Vuze, uTorrent, and it looks like Deluge all make it really, really easy to change urls. (hint, hint, Oliver! )

Old 2009-04-19, 01:22 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Quote:
I need to add that to our software links page. I assume it is free? But yes, Azureus/Vuze, uTorrent, and it looks like Deluge all make it really, really easy to change urls. (hint, hint, Oliver! )
I´d have to erase my tattooed anchor with the "uTorrent" written in it.

--

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

Old 2009-04-19, 05:09 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I do believe she was hinting that changing announce urls was easy, not that you needd to change clients. Lazy, and thick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2009-04-19, 08:33 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:

I need to add that to our software links page. I assume it is free?
Yep. Deluge is a lightweight, Free Software, cross-platform BitTorrent client. I use it in Linux, and I'm surprised I don't see more of it. It's really full-featured. I use an older version (0.5.9.3) because I like some of the older options and layouts, and that's what my distro favors.

Link = http://deluge-torrent.org/

It's also available For Mac OS X through MacPorts (and Darwin Ports before that).
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=deluge
http://deluge.darwinports.com/

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions