The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-06-14, 09:35 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
Also, it annoys me when somone dl at 500kbps and then drops off a torrent after they dl it, leaving the original seeder to continue seeding alone. If that first person who completed stays on to help seed, then things go much faster. That type of leecher causes the seeder a lot of extra time to get the torrent fully seeded.
Agree with you on this. I hopped onto a show yesterday where the three people were stuck around 85%. I seeded it overnight, and then this morning I saw only two left and the third had hopped right off (he was in the snatched list, but no longer seeding). I left a note in the thread saying I didn't think it was cool that he hopped off right away after I had helped him out. *Those* are the leechers I don't like.

But Chachi, I don't know that 90% is even a realistic number. I have a share ratio of 3.82 mostly from simply uploading shows that I didn't originally seed. I am always looking to see if there are straglers and then helping them out. I do that everynight. So, I am 'taking away upload possibilities' from other people. (But, they are only possibilities if the others even take a look to see if they could have seeded.)

We could be strict here about ratios like on other sites, but then we would be only a bittorrent site. If we were only bittorrent, then there would be no need for the Trading forums or Technical Help or The Lounge type forums. Is that what we want to be?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-14, 09:41 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
... Is that what we want to be?
I don't think that we should enforce the ratios unless they are less than 0.3 or something extremely low like that to supress the total leeches. However, I think if people's ratios are less than 0.9 (according to my above example that is entirely possible) then we should be able to frown upon them

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-06-14, 09:57 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Whooooa now,this thing has turned ugly and I dont know why??The one bad trade that Ive had in 5+ years of trading gets blown up into this.I said my two cents in the other thread and many of the people I have traded with {and count as friends}have stood up for me.I believe very much that a reputation is something that a trader should take serious.I would also say that those who have spoken on my behalf have impeccable reputations.My buddy twisteninthenw is pretty much the one who educated and walked me thru the dvd trading process and Im deeply indebted to him.Thanks for your patience and help bro!!There are even more and these folks Ive traded with on MULTIPLE times.Yeah,you may get a shitty disc from me but if you do Ill make it right.Ill do whatever I can anyway.Isnt that what were supposed to do?As far as uploads and downloads go...I cant download because Im dial up and cant comment.I can say that alot of folks that do download kick stuff down thru B&P's to people like me and that dosent show on their ratios.{To you guys CHHERS!!}but I will say that in all of these years to have had only this one bad trade.....hey,shit...I think I'll smoke me a bowl {being a pothead and all} and be grateful of all the GOOD and POSITIVE people that Ive met here on TDD.And you know exactly who you are!!!
Old 2006-06-14, 10:13 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu421
Whooooa now,this thing has turned ugly and I dont know why??The one bad trade that Ive had in 5+ years of trading gets blown up into this.I said my two cents in the other thread and many of the people I have traded with {and count as friends}have stood up for me.I believe very much that a reputation is something that a trader should take serious.I would also say that those who have spoken on my behalf have impeccable reputations.My buddy twisteninthenw is pretty much the one who educated and walked me thru the dvd trading process and Im deeply indebted to him.Thanks for your patience and help bro!!There are even more and these folks Ive traded with on MULTIPLE times.Yeah,you may get a shitty disc from me but if you do Ill make it right.Ill do whatever I can anyway.Isnt that what were supposed to do?As far as uploads and downloads go...I cant download because Im dial up and cant comment.I can say that alot of folks that do download kick stuff down thru B&P's to people like me and that dosent show on their ratios.{To you guys CHHERS!!}but I will say that in all of these years to have had only this one bad trade.....hey,shit...I think I'll smoke me a bowl {being a pothead and all} and be grateful of all the GOOD and POSITIVE people that Ive met here on TDD.And you know exactly who you are!!!
if twistedinthenw is your buddy, then you are my buddy too

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-06-14, 10:14 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Should'nt someone be packing a bowl right about now??
db.etree.org/ragu420
Gotta go outta town for a few days.Y'all play nice!
Old 2006-06-14, 10:16 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragu421
Whooooa now,this thing has turned ugly and I dont know why??
No, the other thread got kinda sidetracker, or hijacked. So, I moved the discussion out of there to be separate. I think it's an interesting topic and as long as it stays civil, I think it can show why people have differing points of view about share ratios.

Old 2006-06-14, 10:17 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks Chachi!! Check my list and if you would like a trade,I think twistided can vouch for me,give me a shout.Im always up for a trade and gotta get back to my bud aikox about round 2 of our 10 rounder.
Old 2006-06-14, 10:38 PM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshak2015
I disagree. A trade is a trade with two parties exchanging stuff, usually on a 1:1 basis, but 2:1 trades are trades too.

Torrenting however is not trading shows, it is sharing them. When you seed a show, you do so because you want to share the fun with others, with no direct expectations involved. You don't seed a torrent expecting every single user that downloads your show to seed exactly / at least one other show. Of course you hope so, but it's not an obligation as with a trade.

The live music trading trackers only work if the majority of people are into the sharing philosophy, i.e. giving without expecting anything (directly) in return. You just gotta have faith that in the end you'll end up with the shows you're interested in because you know that other people also share what they have without any expectations.

So IMHO torrents are not only different from snail mail trades in a technical sense, but also in the way sharing via BT depends much more on having faith in others and a sense of responsibility.
Well said.
Old 2006-06-14, 11:48 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequence
So the fact that TTD doesent enforce ratios means that a poor ratio doesent equal a bad trader?

I dont get your reasoning behind that o_O
ohhh yeah..bring it too the lounge...

and you will hear all kinds of crazy shit....

...and only The Trader Police determine who is a bad trader...
Old 2006-06-14, 11:50 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Ragu

Prego
Old 2006-06-15, 12:59 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

IMHO, I don't think a bad ratio necessarily makes for a bad trader. People can sometimes be fair on one issue, and unfair in another. And I am glad that ratios are not enforced because I may let my ratio drop on occassion, only to make up for it later. But it seems to me that whether or not your sharing in other ways, there is no excuse for not getting it at least halfway.
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Old 2006-06-15, 04:41 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.95 TB/9.78

Quote:
So the fact that TTD doesent enforce ratios means that a poor ratio doesent equal a bad trader?

I dont get your reasoning behind that o_O
Just like there is no rationale, other than your personal (flawed) opinion, for saying a low ratio automatically equals a bad trader.
Old 2006-06-15, 05:26 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
Just like there is no rationale, other than your personal (flawed) opinion, for saying a low ratio automatically equals a bad trader.
Sigh...

I didnt say a bad ratio automatically equals a bad trader. I am saying that if a person thinks it is fine to be a bad digital trader (torrent user on a trading site), they would quite possibly (and probably) think it is fine to be a bad trader in physical things (CDs and DVDs and etc).

Your personal (flawed) take and not give opinion is annoying :/

Last edited by xequence; 2006-06-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2006-06-15, 06:06 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Prego Why not just eat shit?
Old 2006-06-15, 09:37 PM
skodechoker
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:

a bad digital trader
/
A bad digital trader would be someone who agrees to send a show to one person in exchange for another show digitally and then one side doesnt finish the send. I.E FTP Trades or private torrent trades.

When you seed a show to a torrent site like this one, you're not trading anything, what are you getting in return if you seed a show? The satisfaction of a shitload of people getting the show? The word trade does not apply. Bad sharer, yea, but its not a trade. You may get someone to seed a show you want, but thats still something on an individual basis.

The logic is completely flawed. I can't understand anyone assuming someone is a bad snail mail trader simply based on the amount of bits and bytes uploaded.

The word trade does not apply to torrents unless its individuals saying Ill seed this if you seed that. If you put it on a site like this one, theres going to be leechers, especially if said site doesnt enforce a ratio and a lot of times the leechers cant seed a significant amount for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by skodechoker; 2006-06-15 at 09:43 PM.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions