The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2022-11-30, 02:01 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

iPhone .M4A>WAV Archiving Advice

Hi! I have 60+ concerts that I've recorded with my iPhone built-in mic throughout the years. They have all been done with the "lossless" setting turned on.

I'm seeking some highly-specific advice on how to best archive/share them.

They are all container .M4A files, with lossless ALAC compression. 48khz, mono.

Now, my plan is to go through these steps: Audacity (cuts/amplify)>WAV>CD WAVE (splits)>Trader's Little Helper>FLAC (level 8)

But, I have some knit-picking details I need help with first.

First of all, I've noticed it's common for people to normalize to 0.1db. All my recordings are in mono, so as I understand I would only need to amplify them. Why are people raising the volume to 0.1 instead of 0.0?

Now here's where it gets tricky. Many of my recordings have gaps, due to me filming video clips in between audio recording. Every time a new recording is started there is a split-second fade-in, this causes more of a 'jolt' to the listener ear when spliced together. So, to allow for precise editing for those who may want to remaster in the future (and smooth the jolt-cut point by crossfading) I'd like to have the next track start precisely at that point. To do this, I'd need to work on splitting each wave file separately, and then just put them all together.

My concern is that during playback this may cause a sector-boundary alignment issue. I've also seen on Trader's Little Helper that it cannot fix sector-boundary issues on mono files. Am I misunderstanding how that works?

I want to make sure I do everything perfect the first time, so I don't have to do it over. Besides making a .FFP file, is there anything else I'm forgetting?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-11-30, 03:14 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.95 TB/9.78

Re: iPhone .M4A>WAV Archiving Advice

If you truly wanted to do everything perfect the first time you wouldn't have recorded with a fucking phone. I'm sure that won't be a popular comment!
Old 2022-11-30, 03:18 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

Buy a Shure MV88 and use the iOS app. Stereo wav, level control.
Old 2022-11-30, 03:41 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I know guys, and you’re right.

But, my first priority was enjoying the show. Not worrying about getting the optimal location in the venue, sneaking in and not damaging the external mic, and scowling at everyone around me who makes noise - all while holding the mic above my head for two hours.

So, if you have any tips on what I can do for what I have - that would be welcome!
Old 2022-11-30, 05:10 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

Forget about normalizing. If you don’t like the gaps, do a cross fade to hide the transition. But if you do that, you’re further damaging the continuity of the concert which, I personally, am not a big fan of doing. Better to find a patch.
You don’t have to hold anything above your head, just wear it on your body or hat.

Try experimenting with a faux stereo plug-in like Sheppi or Wider. They’re both free.
Old 2022-11-30, 06:33 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
Forget about normalizing. If you don’t like the gaps, do a cross fade to hide the transition. But if you do that, you’re further damaging the continuity of the concert which, I personally, am not a big fan of doing. Better to find a patch.
You don’t have to hold anything above your head, just wear it on your body or hat.

Try experimenting with a faux stereo plug-in like Sheppi or Wider. They’re both free.
While the artificial stereo effect plug-in does sound fun to play with, I don’t think that’s the version people would want to see uploaded here.

There’s a few I’ve taped that are sonically indistinguishable from those done with a proper portable recorder. Admittedly, there are others from my pocket in the pit that have a slew of compression/busting/rustling noise etc. I’d love to correct these flaws before uploading, but I know I’m not nearly qualified enough.

In the right venue, the built-in mic on an iPhone 14 Pro can produce great results. If I could afford the famed MV88, I’d get one. But with ticket prices, gas, and parking what they are, no chance!
Old 2022-11-30, 11:06 PM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERAIDERSDEN View Post

In the right venue, the built-in mic on an iPhone 14 Pro can produce great results. If I could afford the famed MV88, I’d get one. But with ticket prices, gas, and parking what they are, no chance!
Not really. Sure its better than nothing, but skip a show or two and buy the better mic. What's the iPhone 14 Pro like over $1000? Spend the extra. Its worth it.
Old 2022-12-01, 01:54 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Not really. Sure its better than nothing, but skip a show or two and buy the better mic. What's the iPhone 14 Pro like over $1000? Spend the extra. Its worth it.
Be that as it may, I have a ton of recordings of shows that haven't surfaced and I want to know how best to prepare them for sharing.
Old 2022-12-01, 02:00 AM
643.51 GB/2.72 TB/4.33

What bands?
Old 2022-12-01, 02:10 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
What bands?
Too many to list all here, but I can assure you many people on this site could appreciate!

Including AFI, blink-182, Green Day, Greta Van Fleet, Guns N' Roses, Pixies, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rob Zombie, The Killers, The Strokes, etc.

Many mainstream act shows in the last few years which do not have a circulating source outside of Youtube.
Old 2022-12-06, 08:29 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/391.41 GB/1.29

Audacity is where it's at. If this was me I'd fade in and out at the cut marks to make it less jarring. Then combine them into one long audio file, set Audacity to CDDA frames and have it split and export Flac level 8. If you set it to CDDA frames it'll cut the tracks without sector-boundary errors.

PS don't mess with fake Stereo, it almost always sounds worse and can have some very strange phasing issues it ever played back in mono.
Old 2022-12-06, 12:01 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
782.72 GB/3.88 TB/5.07

Quote:
Originally Posted by co9ol View Post
Audacity is where it's at. If this was me I'd fade in and out at the cut marks to make it less jarring. Then combine them into one long audio file, set Audacity to CDDA frames and have it split and export Flac level 8. If you set it to CDDA frames it'll cut the tracks without sector-boundary errors.

PS don't mess with fake Stereo, it almost always sounds worse and can have some very strange phasing issues it ever played back in mono.
The SHEPPi Spatial Enhancer plugin is pretty good at enhancing a stereo field without destroying the mono compatibility. I wouldn't say that it gives a studio stereo separation but it can give an audience recording some nice space for headphone listening. Try it before you decide...

http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/she...bience_project

My tip for file splitting is to split files only on whole seconds - no fractions. It might be a little less audibly precise but it avoids the whole sector boundary issue.
Old 2022-12-10, 12:09 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq View Post
If you truly wanted to do everything perfect the first time you wouldn't have recorded with a fucking phone. I'm sure that won't be a popular comment!
Take a Zoloft dude. You'll feel better.
Old 2022-12-18, 01:56 PM
1.19 TB/89.20 TB/74.67

What RHCP shows have you recorded? Looking forward hearing those.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...rents&u=413899

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble