The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-11-27, 02:25 PM
4.80 GB/28.32 GB/5.90

Two shows on one disc - How?

I want to combine two shows onto one disc, and I don't have money to spend on a program I might use once or twice.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-11-27, 03:08 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: Two shows on one disc - How?

What kind of files? What kind of disc? What software do you have (burning software, for example)?

No way to answer the question with just what you've posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2008-11-27, 03:15 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

sideways?
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2008-11-27, 03:21 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

If he is talking about dvd files, then I'm interested too.

I'm tired of my quick&dirty "by-hand" method of renaming vobs, ifos & generating dumb video_ts.*.
Old 2008-11-27, 03:42 PM
4.80 GB/28.32 GB/5.90

I'm talking about regular full DVD shows - .VOBs, .IFOs, .BUPs, etc.

I use the standard 4.7GB discs, and I know that's kind of restraining, but I'm aiming at putting two small, shorter shows on the same disc - I.E. one being around 1.30GB and the other 2.80GB. (Not exact numbers, but it added up to fir the disc size)

I use ImgBurn for burning my discs, and I know I'd probably need some other software. I've tried a version of DVDremakePro, but I never get anything that works.
Old 2008-11-27, 04:12 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

TMPGEnc DVD Author does it very easily, it is also great for PAL > NTSC conversions.
Old 2008-11-27, 05:57 PM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

DVDShrink can do this - it's not only for compressing video. Choose 're-author' at the top, point it to the first folder, and you'll see 'main movie'. After you add that, point it to the next folder and repeat. You will lose the menus when you do this, but not the chapters. The first will start when you load the disc (that's how my player handles them), and the second dvd will start after the first. You can export the combined shows as an ISO image to make it easier for Imgburn to handle them.

I have also successfully combined an NTSC show and a PAL show on the same disc using this method, without any converting, since my player handles both.
Old 2008-11-27, 06:59 PM
4.80 GB/28.32 GB/5.90

Nevermind, I think I figured it out
Old 2008-11-28, 12:20 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
DVDShrink can do this - it's not only for compressing video. Choose 're-author' at the top, point it to the first folder, and you'll see 'main movie'. After you add that, point it to the next folder and repeat. You will lose the menus when you do this, but not the chapters. The first will start when you load the disc (that's how my player handles them), and the second dvd will start after the first. You can export the combined shows as an ISO image to make it easier for Imgburn to handle them.

I have also successfully combined an NTSC show and a PAL show on the same disc using this method, without any converting, since my player handles both.
Right. Shrink can do it and it's free. Nice to know about the multi format ability too...thanks. I think this is a wrap.
Old 2008-11-28, 03:57 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

The O.P. asked about my way of doing this thing, so I'm putting it here.
Feel free to either get a laugh out of this hack-job, or add some input to (hopefully) improve it.

This is all about copying & renaming (better say, renumbering) VTS_xx_x.* files.

For the last step, I use this tool to create the VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP files: DVDFab (freeware/small/old version) hosted at Doom9. 706 KB (disk usage)

EXAMPLE

Create a destination folder structure (highlighted in the pic).

Copy the VTS_xx_x.* files from the first video to the destination folder (packed/VIDEO_TS, in this case).

Copy the VTS_xx_x.* files from the second video to a temporary location.
Rename them accordingly (see the yellow numbers in the other pic). These numbers are supossed to identify (so to speak) the dvd titles. So, if the first video have more than one title, rename the VTS_xx_x.* files of the second video using the next number in sequence.

Copy those 'renumbered' files to the destination folder. You'll end up with this.

Use DVDFab to create de video manager files.

One second later.

Note that DVDFab also touch the *.IFO *.BUP files. (Keep this in mind if you plan to keep a backup of the original files.)

This way you can pack any number of videos (or titles) you want, as long as you number the files in sequence.

DRAWBACK:

Depending upon how videos were authored, you'll most probably have to use the remote control to directly access the titles. That is, most of the time the videos don't flow one title after another.

ADVANTAGE (over the DVDShrink method):

Menues are still there (sometimes they don't play well, but again, use the remote control to access titles). This is good, I think, if you plan to backup/restore those videos to their original state (perhaps, for re-author, or a re-seed). You only have to backup/restore those small VIDEO_TS.* and *.IFO *.BUP files that came with the original videos. VTS_xx_xx.VOB files remain intact.

Hope this helps (or gets you a headache ).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble