The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-05, 10:07 AM
PsychoPsonic
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Fixing an audio disc with SBEs

What would you recommend as the best method to fix an audio disc that has SBEs? I have EAC, Soundforge, CD Wave and SHNTool available.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-05, 10:53 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Fixing an audio disc with SBEs

If you mean that you plan to rip an audio CD that was burned with SBEs then you can only fix those SBEs with a wave editor.

You have to zoom in to the last sector of each track that you suspect has an SBE and look to see whether there is a sudden drop to silence there. If so, you have to snip the silence off.

Now apparently this could be done at the ripping stage by telling EAC to 'remove digital silence' or something like that. I've never actually done this so I can't say for sure that it would work. But it wouldn't hurt to experiment.

Once you have the wave files fixed and the SBEs removed, you then would run shntool over each musical set in order to realign the tracks along sector boundaries. Or you can compress each musical set to FLAC using FLAC Frontend and set the program to align along sector boundaries.

I hope this helps get you started.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-05, 02:09 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

jah

...and if you haven't mastered SHNtool yet, what you can do is used FLAC frontend. Make sure you have the recent version (available for over 6 months now).

1. Make a backup of the files!
2. Drag and drop all of the files from disc 1 into FLAC frontend.
3. Decompress.
4. Clear FLAC frontend.
5. Drag and drop all of the files from disc 1 into FLAC frontend. Make sure that they are only the files from disc 1 and that they are in the correct order.
6. Enable verify, set compression to 8, and enable "align on sector boundaries". The display will show you when a SBE is being corrected. When a SBE is corrected, all FLAC frontend is doing is moving the beginning of the track, one exception is that if it's the last track it will add a few samples of silence (<500 or so).
7. Now you can delete the WAV files. Be very careful to stay organized while you're doing this!
8. Repeat for Disc Two, etc.

Then you can generate a FLAC fingerprint for the fixed set by clearing FLAC frontend and dragging all the new FLACs in then pushing "fingerprint". Also make a note in the info file that you have fixed the SBEs using FLAC frontend. It is very important to only do one disc's worth of files at a time and stay organized.

If it's that '69 Zeppelin show you're thinking about, I checked the areas around the SBEs and there are no silent drops or problems of this kind to contend with on this set. If you don't feel 100% confident fixing it yourself, I (or somebody else) will put up a fixed version soon.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-02-05, 06:50 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

re: the zeppelin '69 set

I've found a better way to do it, stay tuned.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble