The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-28, 09:12 AM
35.58 GB/62.83 GB/1.77

Re: I retracked a show!

I'm gonna drag this back on topic because I meant to post the following ages ago. In addition to archiving seeded filesets (obviously), I also archive everything as a disc image with cuesheet, if for no reason other than that I like this. Plus it means that I don't have to actually split up my masters, which still make up a large portion of what I'm backing up. Addawav is a fantastic little utility that joins together a group of wave files, making it dead easy to combine a fileset into a disc image with no CDR stage. Cuesheet can then be made (yes, I retrack literally every show I download because, well, I do!), and the image converted to FLAC and burnt to DVD. Hooray
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-28, 10:22 AM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkismet
I'm gonna drag this back on topic because I meant to post the following ages ago. In addition to archiving seeded filesets (obviously), I also archive everything as a disc image with cuesheet, if for no reason other than that I like this. Plus it means that I don't have to actually split up my masters, which still make up a large portion of what I'm backing up. Addawav is a fantastic little utility that joins together a group of wave files, making it dead easy to combine a fileset into a disc image with no CDR stage. Cuesheet can then be made (yes, I retrack literally every show I download because, well, I do!), and the image converted to FLAC and burnt to DVD. Hooray
Good ideas. I generally don't retrack before burning because I'll do a track layout in CD Architect with all my edits and crossfades (if necessary). I'll save the .cdp files and hope I can find them later . My problem with your method of archiving (for my situation) is that it involves way too much work, given the number of shows I collect. I burn a very small percentage of shows, and the increase of archive space necessary with the addition of image/cue files would be extreme.
Old 2005-03-30, 09:18 AM
VH NEW ORLEANS 7/13/78
118.51 GB/224.41 GB/1.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I agree with Five and wazoo. "Listening to it" is a completely unreliable method of checking the perfection of the digital copy. Using EAC (or equivalent error-correcting DAE method) is absolutely required because it is oftentimes not within the abilitity of the lister to scan an entire CD and listen for slight digital flaws. People miss them, and polluted digital copies are passed on. There is no reason to add CDR to any lineage, but if you must, EAC with proper offset correction is the only way you can be sure your copy was done correctly.

Five is right as well, that a transfer made to a standalone and EAC extracted is OK with TTD, so long as this information is made clear in the original post.

Standalone > CDR(0) > EAC > WAV is fine.
I always use EAC for extraction and didn't mean to imply that I would haphazardly rip it to my hard drive.

I still can't get over that some people have a problem with a standalone, notwithstanding its acceptability here. Because there are a lot of Van Halen tapes at least that wouldn't even be circulating if not for one guy out in California doing standalone transfers and getting them out there.
Old 2005-03-31, 12:04 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Far as I know, CDWave is free....how's that for in depth technical insight...
Old 2005-03-31, 02:01 PM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin
Far as I know, CDWave is free....how's that for in depth technical insight...
Free to download, yes. But if you check the license, it's shareware. You're supposed to pay for it after the first month.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble