The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-26, 12:23 PM
Hatfield21
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: How much space do you need on a hard drive....

thanks again! my final question...i saw something about speeding up your torrents by opening ports 6881-6889 in the bittorrent client...how would i go about doing that? it took me almost a week to d/l my last dvd, and i have a dsl connection...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-26, 12:25 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: How much space do you need on a hard drive....

portforward.com

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-03-07, 10:31 AM
116.58 GB/126.74 GB/1.09

Does nero change data?

I remember reading that nero sometimes changes something before it burns. I think it was here in a thread but I cant remeber. I've always used nero and have never had a problem except for this issue.

With nero express when I burn a doulbe layer disc like any of the shows from here that are for dl discs they wont play in my dvd player. They play in My friends players but not my (panasonic DMR-ES30V). It also won't play dl discs burned with dvd shrink which uses nero to burn. At first I thought that it was just my player or bad media. One day I was burning something with slysoft's clone dvd2 and to my surprize it plays fine in my player. After running some trials, Every disc I burn with clone dvd2 works and some but very few burned with nero work. Some of the nero burns play the menu but then have a hard time with the main movie, and some seem to have a hard time playing certain tracks. Has anyone else seem any wierdness w/ nero?

On another note whats the best way to archive some of these vids to insure data integrity. I have always burned all my audio to disc as data but with video I am not sure what to do. Can you copy A dvd video that you have burned as a video and expect to get the md5 to verify, or do you have to archive as data. This gets time consuming when with these dl discs. As in the thread by thisistoto I am concerned about geting the exact data back for thrading purposes. The way I archive now is to burn as data with data verification in nero. Then if I want a copy of the show I rip the Archived data disk to my hd, Run the md5 on the riped data, then I burn the show and send it away. This shat takes forever especialy w/dl disks at 2.4x. Oh lastly do you guys/ gals prefer to trade dvd's as data or as a playable dvd.

Last edited by jayroch; 2006-03-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 2006-03-07, 06:44 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Does nero change data?

from what i understand, Nero and some other burning programs alter either the .ifo or .bup files when burning as a DVD-Video disc...therefore, the checksum will not verify properly, even tho the actual video content has not been altered...

personally, i'll archive a dvd show as a data disc [DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF)--with checksum, info, art, etc]...this is what i trade with...then i just burn a DVD-Video copy for viewing on the standalone...

i wish everyone traded as data discs, due to the "failed checksums" issue... but it seems alot of folks don't see it that way, and don't want to have to burn two discs...
Old 2006-03-07, 11:14 PM
116.58 GB/126.74 GB/1.09

If nero changes the .ifo & .bup files maybee that is causing incompatalbility with my player. I wonder why those files are changed?

I think data is always best to trade because you just store it away. Alot of my shows would be ruined if I relied on playable disks that get abused/ given away. Could the dvd authors create md5's for the .vob files separatly from the .ifo and .bup files before trading. Then we could at least verify the .vob's considering they are not changed.

I dicided to split my dvd9 shows to dvd5 for archiving because the burns seem to be faster and more reliable. I don't like making coasters out of 2 dollar disks. I'm on a mission to archive a 300 gig drive and most of 2 80 gig drives. It's amazing how fast these things fill up.

While were at it are there good list making programs out there. My sloppy text file list can only go so far.

Thanks for the input.
Old 2006-03-08, 01:58 AM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
personally, i'll archive a dvd show as a data disc [DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF)--with checksum, info, art, etc]...this is what i trade with...then i just burn a DVD-Video copy for viewing on the standalone...
Agreed, that's what I do. I also make 2 video copies (at least for DVD5's at the moment$$$) and keep 1 stored away. But most people just want the video, understandable. Home made DVD's are just weird sometimes. I've created & authored my own DVD's...some work in all players, sometimes not. They are just weird.

As for your list question...I know you're asking for a special list making program, but why not use etree's database? It's the best.
http://db.etree.org
Old 2006-03-08, 10:17 PM
Syco54645 is a tool
125.83 GB/120.63 GB/0.96

i personally can say that i have burned stuff with nero and had it still verify to the checksum (dvds that i made myself when i moved them from my gf's windows machine to my linux machine to be seeded... linux dvd authorers suck). i can honestly say that it doesnt. i am using an older version mind you. k3b doesnt change them either. i have tested it as well.

-Syco54645
Old 2006-03-09, 03:50 PM
116.58 GB/126.74 GB/1.09

Wierd, So if nero doesn't change data then what would cause dvd's burned with it to not play when others do of the same dvd. Somehow the data has to be different. right? I've made alot of coasters trying to figure this out. Again this is only with double layer discs, and they do play on some players but not others. It's not realy a big issue it's just wierd and I want to learn more.

I was planning on using the db.etree list thingy I just didn't investigate it yet. I wasn't sure if there was like a handy tool to inport data from the text files or something. I know this was a question I could easily investige myself but I just felt like trowing it out there.

Is there a program to make a que for multiple different burns. Something that you could set up many burns and after each one the program just beeps and asks for blank media. You could back up a whole hd with a number burns or make disks for a trade all in one session. If there isn't a program like this someone should write one.

If these are noob questions I expect to be flamed by all the cool and 1337. I must say though I'm getting to be fairly educated at this stuff and consider myself an expert at my newbiness. lol
Old 2006-03-09, 09:46 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey jay, this may sound stupid but.... people buy DVD players all the time to play store bought DVDs. However, they don't always play home made DVDs. And, they may play homemade DVDs on DVD-Rs but not DVD+Rs. So, I would imagine it's the same with Dual Layer Discs. Have you gone to videohelp.com and searched on your DVD player and seen what it says about it?

Old 2006-03-09, 10:11 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayroch
Is there a program to make a que for multiple different burns. Something that you could set up many burns and after each one the program just beeps and asks for blank media. You could back up a whole hd with a number burns or make disks for a trade all in one session. If there isn't a program like this someone should write one.
I need a prog like this, too!

I believe Nero only changes the .bup and .ifo files when it makes a video dvd. you can use md5 checksums to check exactly what is the same/different on the dvd you burned. But like Lynne says, some standalone DVD players are very fussy about media!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-03-12, 06:07 PM
116.58 GB/126.74 GB/1.09

Hey I was away for awhile but wanted to say thanks for the input.

I've been to videohelp before and although I think that the site is a wealth of info there reviews on some dvd players aren't that great. The reviews for my player are entirely incorrect. My player does play dl discs, just not ones burned with Nero. For now I'm going to believe that it's because of the changed .ifo & .bup files but I will investigate it more when I have time. I would have asked there first but I like it here better.

Five, I'll be on the lookout for a program to create a burning que. If I find one I will post here as I think it would be invaluable to all traders.

Lynne, When Bono winks at me with his boy George hat on it makes me a little uncomfortable.

Thanks again you guys do a great job with this site.
Old 2006-03-30, 06:09 PM
662.50 GB/582.57 GB/0.88

burning .txt and .md5 on dvd

I was wondering if I can burn my dvd's but include the .txt and .md5 files so i can delete from my computer. I want to keep these in the event I reseed something or even in a trade, I know where those files are. Is there a way to burn these on my dvd's? NERO won't let me it says they are not acceptable formats for the video_ts folder. Thanks for your help

Jon
Old 2006-03-30, 06:31 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: burning .txt and .md5 on dvd

burn the disc as a DVD-ROM instead of a DVD-Video [i usually choose DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF), but DVD-ROM (ISO) is fine too]

add the Video_TS folder, the empty Audio_TS folder, and an Extras_TS folder which contains yer info txt, checksum, artwork, etc...
Old 2006-03-30, 06:33 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

on a Mac I am pretty sure I have just added the text files into the Toast session and it plays fine on my DVD player. Also, I don't think you really NEED the AUDIO_TS folder. Of course it doesn't hurt either. I think that is for DVD-A.
Old 2006-03-30, 06:38 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

many DVD players need an Audio_TS folder to play properly, despite being empty...but you are correct, the only time this folders usually used is for DVDA

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble