The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-18, 01:37 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

port forwarding help (WinXP/Versalink327W) PLEASE?

In my house there are two machines online. A PC (WIN XP) and Mac (OSX.3). I have a Westell Versalink 327W router. The PC is wired to it and the Mac uses WIFI. The PC used to have ME for an OS and I got the ports configured properly. I'm more of a Mac guy but can get around on PC's as well. Using portforwarding.com steps for my setup I cannot seem to get the configurations proper. I would love to remedy this so I can connect again. My connection has been lowered to the cheapo DSL but it is still something with the ports. I know etree's firewall detection doesn't seem to work but on this site it shows my ports in RED. That does mean there is a problem right? I'm hoping someone who has this router and XP might have some insight. Is there some extra firewall built into XP or something?

I'm gonna give it another try right now. I had given up a few weeks ago when we got the new PC and OS.

I want to use 6881-6889 right? I want to follow the guide for "bit torrent" right? This one http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm

I have Verizon DSL. I sort of think they are trottling my ports. I don't know much about it but I have heard that they can and will limit externally. Anyone know much about that?

Last edited by cleantone; 2006-01-18 at 01:50 PM. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-18, 02:03 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: port forwarding help (WinXP/Versalink327W) PLEASE?

Yes, there is a builtin firewall in XP. I have a link in my sig and how to forward your ports on it.

Old 2006-01-18, 03:05 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks for the reply. I check out the "how to Win XP" from you link.

When I opened the "windows firewall" it was not turned on. I assume you cannot forward ports if that is not turned on right? So I turned it on. The step that tell you how to setup an exeption says you have to enter each port individually. Assuming I'm not throttled from my ISP, do I still want 6881-6889? If so does that mean I need to enter 9 different names in the exeptions box?

I really hope to get this figured out. Thanks for helping.
Old 2006-01-18, 03:14 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I don't know which bittorrent client you are using, but you want to put in the same port range that you have entered in your bittorrent client. Also, I seem to recall that one of the PC clients has an option to use a random port number. Make sure you don't have that option turned on and instead are using a port from a range that you specify.

Old 2006-01-18, 03:17 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Okay. I use Tomato on my Mac and Bit Torrent on the PC but don't use the PC much. I was asking more just to make sure those are still the popular ports. I guess I'll go with that unless it seems like my ISP is clocking them.

Not to be a bugger but can you address the question about entering in 6881, 6882, 6883, etc... seperatly. The text makes it sound as if you need to do this. Do you have any idea?

Then when I finish this "windows firewall" the normal modem forwarding should work right?
Old 2006-01-18, 03:48 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I think I had a Norton firewall blocking me too. After I changed the "windows firewall" and restarted a norton message came up about the norton firewall. I opened it up and it runs a program check. I have bitlord and bittorrent clients on the PC. Both said blocked next to them. So that would have been blocking me too. I guess I have triple firewall. I set norton to allow all action for the clients. Now I will try to connect to a torrent and hopefully I will not be red.

I did go ahead and set 9 different port names for 6881 through 6889 in case I needed to.

:fingers crossed:
Old 2006-01-18, 03:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yes, you need to do it for each port. But, realistically, you only need to do it for as many torrents as you plan on having open at one time, which usually means only 2 or 3 unless you have a really good upload/download rate.

Old 2006-01-18, 04:01 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Ah! To test I connected to a torrent on this site real quick, my (6881) was black. So I guess I'm good to go. Does it make much difference whether you have your firewall set to low, medium, or high? I would guess not but don't know for sure.

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm not 100% sure I'm in the clear but I'm a lot closer if I'm not.
Old 2006-01-18, 04:40 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

If your port is black you're probably fine. Use NAT check here to be sure:
http://midcom-p2p.sourceforge.net/
Old 2006-01-18, 04:47 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

This is an easier NAT check page:
http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
Old 2006-01-18, 04:47 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

When I tried on the PC it was black, on my Mac is was red. So I have some more trouble shooting to do. I've been trying to d/l something for days. It's 1.6G and I can barely stay connected, when I am it was like 2K/s. Now I can't get it to connect. It is not from here. It's a TV from Europe that you can't get on DVD over here, at least not yet. It might be a static IP, or NAT issue. I just barely know what I'm talking about. Any OSX port forwarding experts?
Old 2006-01-18, 04:52 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Were having a storm and I think there is a problem outside on the line. The internet connection keeps cutting out. I might not be able to deal with this now.
Old 2006-01-18, 05:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You need to pick different ports to forward on your mac than on your PC (well, I'll modify that to say you need to pick different ports for the different computers on your network). So, if you have 6881-6889 forwarded for your PC, now pick a new set of ports and do the same for your Mac. Remember to forward them in your router and your bittorrent client. Also, if you have your Mac firewall on, forward them there also.

Old 2006-01-18, 05:21 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

See that is where it gets confusing. I really need this setup for the Mac because that is my computer. The PC is not and I cannot use it most of the time. The PC is hard wired and the mac is wireless. Anyway, when the PC had ME I had both computers on 6881-6889 and both computers seemingly worked find. That was the case for at least a year. I was seeding and d/l with no problems. After the PC got upgraded and the OS went o XP a few weeks ago I cannot get the shit straight.

Each computer has it's own Ip addy right? There is a difference between external IP addresses and what would show up when you do "ipconfig" on the PC right? Which do I use for static IP? Do I need to do static IP?
Old 2006-01-18, 06:38 PM
37.97 GB/36.00 GB/0.95

Quote:
when the PC had ME I had both computers on 6881-6889 and both computers seemingly worked find. That was the case for at least a year.
Probably because their are 9 ports to choose from, and my guess is that you were'nt running over 9 torrents between both computers. IMO, you should get a client that just uses one port for all torrents, ie. Azureus, uTorrent, and choose a port between the 49152 - 65535 range. On each computer.
Quote:
Each computer has it's own Ip addy right? There is a difference between external IP addresses and what would show up when you do "ipconfig" on the PC right? Which do I use for static IP? Do I need to do static IP?
Yes. This is the most important part. Here is a guide that will show you how.

Turn off your XP firewall. It's not necessary.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble