The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-12, 02:45 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Lightbulb Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhouse73
... I was just wondering on the progress of the new version of TLH?

I hope u r having success in fixing the issues with the SBE!! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scambro
404 on the dl link. ...
The "Fix SBEs" section has been fully re-worked, and a new beta is out. That's why the link in one of my last posts isn't valid anymore. The new beta offers _all_ the functions of v1.1.1.90 except Windows Explorer integration and a help file (the final release won't come with a help file either). The user interface is sizeable now, mkw file format is supported (for the "old traders" among us), there are some new features, a couple of improvements, and the beta works with flac 1.1.4 and shntool 3.0.4 now. You can get it from here. One of the new features is a "Check for update" function. Note that your firewall might get nervous when using this function (though the usual http port 80 is used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scambro
... should this version fix the whole 'checksum in metadata block does not match, but md5 checksum of audio data does not match' issue after some windows SP? ...
This issue is _not_ a bug. It tells you that either the provided checksum file is invalid or the audio files are corrupt. What should be history is the WinXP SP2 sourced complete malfunction of those TLH functions that use shntool or shorten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinReno
... I downloaded the following errorfree: Dortmund 06-17-80_Ezytouch Remaster.torrent. All the files verified, and seemed to decode w/out any issue (...). It also was importable to itunes, and plays on an ipod.

However, when I tried to burn (...), after burning other disks, I got an error about file format. The files extensions were all .wav, and I didn't see anything elsewhere that looked fishy. I also tried a couple other burning programs I have kicking around on my HD (an older Roxio, the freeware Burnatonce) with the same result. The attempted burn was rejected, and the disk spit out.

OK, here's where I think TLH comes in: there are comments in the torrent thread about converting from 24 to 16 bit (or vice versa), and a commenter mentioning that their files are just noise, so I'm thinking that I need to do this conversion to get disks burned, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this. Doesn't seem doable in TLH, unless I'm being really thickheaded. ...
Audio CDs require 16-bit 44100 Hz wav files. Process one of your files with the "Audio file details" function of TLH using _info_ mode. There are two lines "bits/sample" and "samples/sec" that will tell you whether your file are burnable. TLH is not able to do a conversion to 16-bit 44.1 kHz format. There are free programs out there that will do it (Audacity, for example).

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-13, 12:59 PM
1.70 GB/5.38 GB/3.17

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
This issue is _not_ a bug. It tells you that either the provided checksum file is invalid or the audio files are corrupt. What should be history is the WinXP SP2 sourced complete malfunction of those TLH functions that use shntool or shorten.
K, guess I wasn't clear, I meant when I get that error on one PC, but when I check the same ffp file via a network resource (different TLH install), it checks out fine. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new beta, and sure enough, now it checks out properly! phew!

Thanks!
Old 2007-10-14, 11:05 PM
0.99 TB/833.95 GB/0.83

Does the updating of TLH explain why I haven't been able to get either link to work for me to download it? My computer crashed and I have been unable to get the world's most helpful tool back.
Old 2007-10-15, 07:49 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdouglaswalker
Does the updating of TLH explain why I haven't been able to get either link to work for me to download it? My computer crashed and I have been unable to get the world's most helpful tool back.
From time to time the (free) server hosting the TLH files is down for maintenance. Send me an email (subject "TLH release" or "TLH beta") if you want me to send you the installer.

Robert
Old 2007-10-15, 10:20 AM
2.97 TB/2.69 TB/0.90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann

Audio CDs require 16-bit 44100 Hz wav files. Process one of your files with the "Audio file details" function of TLH using _info_ mode. There are two lines "bits/sample" and "samples/sec" that will tell you whether your file are burnable. TLH is not able to do a conversion to 16-bit 44.1 kHz format. There are free programs out there that will do it (Audacity, for example).

Robert
Cool. Thanks for the reply. Like I said, this was a new one on me. Good luck with the updates.

Bill
Old 2007-10-15, 04:45 PM
0.99 TB/833.95 GB/0.83

The server apparently came back up. Thanks for your kind offer, and thanks a million times for that amzingly simple and effecient tool!!!!
Old 2007-10-17, 07:14 AM
0.99 TB/3.63 TB/3.66

hi roann, thanks for TLH, best program to help us traders ever

i have a few questions on the new pre-release:

1. The icons for FFP and MD5 files no longer work, they both look like the TLH suitcase.
2. The FFP Verify is only the full verify, is the quick verify no longer working?
3. When double clicking a MD5 it doesnt take you to the Verify page, you have to manually click verify then look for the checksum.

thanks
Old 2007-10-17, 10:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukem
... i have a few questions on the new pre-release:

1. The icons for FFP and MD5 files no longer work, they both look like the TLH suitcase.
2. The FFP Verify is only the full verify, is the quick verify no longer working?
3. When double clicking a MD5 it doesnt take you to the Verify page, you have to manually click verify then look for the checksum.
1/3: As I said in my last posts: there is _no_ Windows Explorer integration available (yet) with these betas. That means, double-click on files, Drag&Drop, Explorer context menus, icons for file types, all "gone". These features will be available (again) with the final release.

2: There is/will be only a full ffp verify available from now on. The quick one is _not_ reliable because it doesn't check whether the audio data in a flac files matches the checksum stored in the flac file header.

Robert
Old 2007-10-17, 12:45 PM
0.99 TB/3.63 TB/3.66

ah didnt read about the non windows integration yet, that explains all thanks
Old 2007-11-06, 11:51 PM
0.99 TB/3.63 TB/3.66

I noticed the Check for updates doesnt work Roann, maybe something you know about already.
I get:

Checking connection to download server ... error (download server is not connectable).

just incase you dont know

and has the test if files will decode section been permanently removed?

thanks
Old 2007-11-07, 05:09 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
I noticed the Check for updates doesnt work Roann, maybe something you know about already.
I get:

Checking connection to download server ... error (download server is not connectable).

just incase you dont know
Well, I do know ... the (free) server hosting all the TLH files is permanently down since last Saturday or Sunday. Usually the server is offline for maintenance, but it never takes more than 24 hours. Maybe the service is down forever, I don't know. So at the moment the only way to check whether there is a new pre-release build is to go to the TLH homepage.

Quote:
and has the test if files will decode section been permanently removed?
No, it hasn't been removed at all. It was integrated into the "Decode" section. Just select the "Test w/o writing decoded files" option in the "Decoding options" box.

Robert
Old 2007-11-09, 02:07 AM
0.99 TB/3.63 TB/3.66

Ahh excellent thanks
Old 2007-11-11, 12:18 PM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

I fixed the forking child process by changing the compatibility mode for shntool.exe, shorten.exe and the actual TLH program to Windows 95.
Old 2007-11-12, 09:39 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM
I fixed the forking child process by changing the compatibility mode for shntool.exe, shorten.exe and the actual TLH program to Windows 95.
So you belong to the lucky ones! Unfortunately the "trick" using an older compatibility mode only work sometimes, no idea why. But with the new release (still beta / incomplete) the problem should be history.

Robert
Old 2007-11-29, 09:58 AM
enjoyin' the ride
558.94 GB/689.24 GB/1.23

Location: brewtown usa [useta be brewcity but we lost some brewerys]
Talking Re: Trader's Little Helper

Greetings!

I just stumbled across this tread and had no idea that TLH had 'originated' here at TTD. I'd been using it for awhile and love it!

Thank you so much for all of the deadicated hard work of making AND improving such a handy and useful program!!!

I have just downloaded 1.1.1 build 90 and will finally replace 1.0.0 build 72 (which also took me a long time to upgrade to! lol). I will also check out the new 2.0.0 beta build on another box that likely still has 0.8.x or 0.9.x on it. It just gets better and better each time.

Now the only thing I can think of that TLH doesn't do for me is find the torrent, download, archive and burn an audio disc for me! Maybe in 3.0?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper