The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-31, 04:49 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Unhappy Mac: Bluetooth Mouse Set-Up pops on on booting, I cannot get around it. Out of the blue.

Man this is stupid. I have a couple of Mac's. I also have bootable archives on hard drives. I was sent some music that I will be mixing on a USB2 drive. I use mostly firewire drives. I only have one USB drive and this has never happened. I have two boot discs on my music Mac. I plugged the drive in an turned it on. It didn't mount. That happens sometimes with my USB drive. I have to reboot for it to mount. Anyway, I went to reboot into the OSX.4 partition. I got no option to select boot drives when holding down "option" on boot up. Instead I have a Bluetooth setup assistant looking for a Bluetooth Mouse. I do not own one. I have two USB ports. One has my keyboard that has a mouse plugged into it. The curser is not responsive to the mouse and I cannot get past this assistant. It just keeps searching. Nothing works. I can't key stroke out of this. I don't think it even sees the keyboard or Mouse. I have forced quit a few times trying to unplug the new USB drive. Trying to unplug replug the keyboard. Trying to boot off an external drive. All I get is this crap.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-31, 05:02 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Re: Mac: Bluetooth Mouse Set-Up pops on on booting, I cannot get around it. Out of the blue.

buy a pc?

Is there a way you can just boot into a different partition and kill the bluetooth thing?
Old 2007-10-31, 05:07 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Re: Mac: Bluetooth Mouse Set-Up pops on on booting, I cannot get around it. Out of the blue.

I tried booting from a few difference partitions. It doesn't seem to see my keying the option key to boot from a different boot disc. I found the same problem on the apple.com forums. The person was using a USB hub and taking it out solved the problem. I am not using a hub and have already tried unplugging and replugging my mouse and keyboard.
Old 2007-10-31, 06:38 PM
TTD VIP
61.11 GB/79.12 GB/1.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinowing
buy a pc?

Is there a way you can just boot into a different partition and kill the bluetooth thing?
what a stupid reponse why would anyone want a pc and even dumber of course you can turn off the bluetooth

--------------------------------------

try creating a different user and see if it still does it...

I had some similar problems with a drive showing up when I opened final cut... I just setup another user for when I need to use that particular drive
Old 2007-10-31, 06:38 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Have you tried to run Norton Systemworks or Diskwarrior?
Old 2007-10-31, 10:59 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
even dumber of course you can turn off the bluetooth
You can't turn off anything without being able to boot the computer.

Quote:
Have you tried to run Norton Systemworks or Diskwarrior?
Can't run diskwarrior without being able to boot or use a keyboard. I can't boot in Unix mode without keystrokes. Neither can I boot in target mode. The whole computer is unresponsive. I cannot use a mouse or keyboard on startup and it instantly goes to this message without the option to hit cancel or to X out of the window. The mouse will not work and the keyboard will not work.
Old 2007-11-01, 08:26 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I went and dropped a bill on a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It got me past that screen but the USB ports seem to still not work. This PC keyboard and mouse are ugly and I need a Mac keyboard to work on anything. This sucks. Anyone know how to test the USB ports?
Old 2007-11-01, 11:52 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

What model of Mac do you have ? Have you tried unplugging ALL cables for 15 mins and then reconnecting/booting ?

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-11-01, 12:04 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

There's a utility that comes with the Developers install called USB Prober which can apparently sometimes magic USB ports back to life but of course you can't get far enought to install/run it.

Another quick thought...What OS do you have installed other than 10.4 ? Do you have Remote Desktop enabled or Screen Sharing (10.5) ?

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2007-11-01, 02:20 PM
4.59 GB/23.07 GB/5.03

zap the pram and then start in safe mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
What the fuck is working class anyways? People that make $250K a year still work

Quote:
You should be glad that people like me are what keeps the Govt funded.
Quote:
So once again the facts have you at a loss.
Old 2007-11-01, 02:55 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesam
zap the pram and then start in safe mode
How can he do either of those things if his keyboard isn't recognised ? He may be able to reset the PMU etc but how exactly will depend on what Mac he has.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2007-11-01, 03:59 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson
what a stupid reponse why would anyone want a pc
BUY A MAC BEST THING EVER LOLOLOL
Old 2007-11-01, 05:36 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks. This is a Mac Mini. I have only X.3 and X.4. I went out last night to get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to try getting past this screen. It worked but so far nothing has brought back the USB functionality.

Quote:
Have you tried unplugging ALL cables for 15 mins and then reconnecting/booting ?
I have something running right now. I haven't tried it for 15 minutes but I will. Is that an arbitrary number? I think I did have everything unplugged overnight now that I think about it. I feel like the ports got fried somehow from this drive. I would love to be wrong of course.

Quote:
There's a utility that comes with the Developers install called USB Prober which can apparently sometimes magic USB ports back to life but of course you can't get far enought to install/run it.
Is this hard to do? Expensive?
Old 2007-11-01, 06:18 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
I have something running right now. I haven't tried it for 15 minutes but I will. Is that an arbitrary number? I think I did have everything unplugged overnight now that I think about it. I feel like the ports got fried somehow from this drive. I would love to be wrong of course.
I'm guessing you have a PPC Mini so follow these instructions. There's a link to the Intel equivalent lower down. This isn't a magic bullet but *might* help.

Quote:
Is this hard to do? Expensive?
I'm not sure about 10.3 but I'm pretty sure the Developers package came on a disc with the installers. You can sign up here and download the Xcode package for your flavour of OS X (BIG download, maybe overkill for a 648 KB application). I'd mail you the application itself, it's only a wee thing but I doubt it'll run on your machine. If you do manage to get things to a stage where you can at least install & run, let me know and I'll dig out. the 10.4 XCode disc.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Old 2007-11-01, 06:43 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks. I did forget to say it is a PPC model. There is a snag. I have this piece of shit PC keyboard here. There is on option key, no apple key. I poked around trying to figure out how to assign those to other keys but didn't figure it out. Any idea?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble