The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-26, 11:16 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Re: Backing up to DVD

[quote=kidrocklive;806113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I burn all video twice as dvd video file. Then a data disc of the entire torrent file. Always keep the discs cool, and safe. Make sure you burn at slowest speed, using quality brand discs, and at least one of the discs will outlast you. Keep all cds/dvds vertical to avoid warping. Here's how I do it.

good god lol, I don't have anywhere near that much stuff. I was just wanting to back up stuff for 2 maybe 3 artists haha. Burning twice would be ideal for sure.
You have to realize that 1 artist - The Grateful Dead is several thousand discs. I use slim double and slim triple jewel cases. The shots of drawers with cds is all Dead. The other stuff goes downstairs in the lab.
Old 2008-02-26, 11:32 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Oh yeah, I also store my videotape collection the same way, spine up - never flat. This is the Graceful Duck Archive...900 hrs of videotape. Note the quilt my wife is making on the floor...
Old 2008-02-26, 11:58 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive View Post
why do the discs "warp" if they're not vertical?
I've seen discs left in warm places for a long time that have warped. Dashboards are not a good idea, so I'm always careful. Oh, and that's only about half of my archive I have shown. My dvds have a wall of their own, and I'm building more shelves this week.
My god, and here I am debating on spending money to back up 50 dvds of data (100 if I do your method of having 2 copies) lol.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-26, 11:59 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

does your wife enjoy all of that, or does she just accept it as your hobby? That's a ton of stuff lol
Old 2008-02-27, 09:44 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
does your wife enjoy all of that, or does she just accept it as your hobby? That's a ton of stuff lol
As long as I keep the Bob Dylan coming in she's cool. It's hard to get upset with collecting music when you have been to 300+ Grateful Dead shows together...
Old 2008-02-27, 11:05 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Wow. That's pretty impressive. I wish my stuff was so organized. I started to label covers and use slim line cases but it took up so much room so quickly, I abandoned the idea. I now have everything on spindles. And it sucks. Potential to get scratched when searching for a disc and lots of other bad things. But it doesn't take up much space. I think I am going to use these soon when I get back into an organization mood.
http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-dv...-capacity.html
They are pretty cheap and don't take up a lot of room.
Old 2008-02-27, 11:17 AM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Quote:
As long as I keep the Bob Dylan coming in she's cool. It's hard to get upset with collecting music when you have been to 300+ Grateful Dead shows together...
they play that much around you or do you two travel all over god's creation lol

That's really cool though.
Old 2008-02-27, 11:38 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Quote:
Do you get a chance to actually watch a lot of that? I know I have really, really slowed down on my downloading because I found that I was archiving too much of it without ever watching it. So, now I make sure to only download stuff I will watch/listen to.

That's a very nice setup you have there, Bill!

Old 2008-02-27, 12:05 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

QUOTE=U2Lynne;806412]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you get a chance to actually watch a lot of that? I know I have really, really slowed down on my downloading because I found that I was archiving too much of it without ever watching it. So, now I make sure to only download stuff I will watch/listen to.

That's a very nice setup you have there, Bill![/quote]

Lynne, the 900 hrs of videotape has all been viewed in realtime. Many of the Grateful Dead shows were given to me in trade, and have been upraded by the pros who frequent this site (thank you!). The rest was painstakingly recorded from television over about 20 years. I watched it all, most was edited to remove commercials, so they were watched twice. Many have been revisited frequently. Sometimes when I search for something to transfer to dvd for sharing here, my jaw drops! I am sitting on some serious content. It dismays me when people give me grief for my ratio when I get so much pleasure in sharing my collection.
This is my first solid oak cd cabinet. It holds 1800 cassettes.

Last edited by vladsmythe; 2008-02-27 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2008-02-27, 01:51 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
It dismays me when people give me grief for my ratio when I get so much pleasure in sharing my collection.
just let it roll off like water off a duck's back
Old 2008-02-27, 01:58 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
hmm I might get some and gradually back up everything, just not do it all at once so it doesn't seem like such a big project or cost lol. Thanks for the link. Just got weigh in the 60 dollars for TY discs or the 200 for the MAM-A discs (I'd need 100 of em lol). That's be the cheapest way to go, buying gold plated cds for my audio show back ups would be hell.
I just got a 100 spindle of shiny silver thermal 8X Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs [YUDEN00T02] for $45 with free shipping from www.shop4tech.com supermediastore was sold out a few days ago.
Old 2008-02-27, 03:18 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
I burn all video twice as dvd video file. Then a data disc of the entire torrent file. Always keep the discs cool, and safe. Make sure you burn at slowest speed, using quality brand discs, and at least one of the discs will outlast you. Keep all cds/dvds vertical to avoid warping. Here's how I do it.
fuck that's awesome!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-02-28, 12:31 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

And I thought the Duck Archive was a joke. Congrats, Vlad!

Did you make/design all this cabinets/drawers? (I want to hire you).
Seriously, I would like to know if these drawers open 100% to easily handle all its contents. What type of rails (do you call it this way?) do you use.

I have a similar setup, but drawers open at about 75%, so I cannot easily reach the discs placed at the back. I have to make new ones but cannot decide which path to take now: shelves or drawers.

So, if you can take some close-up pictures of the drawers to view the 'opening' mechanism, it would be great.

(Hope you understand this fucked-up English. I lack of carpentry vocabulary, as well ).

Quote:
Old 2008-02-28, 01:15 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium View Post
And I thought the Duck Archive was a joke. Congrats, Vlad!

Did you make/design all this cabinets/drawers? (I want to hire you).
Seriously, I would like to know if these drawers open 100% to easily handle all its contents. What type of rails (do you call it this way?) do you use.

I have a similar setup, but drawers open at about 75%, so I cannot easily reach the discs placed at the back. I have to make new ones but cannot decide which path to take now: shelves or drawers.

So, if you can take some close-up pictures of the drawers to view the 'opening' mechanism, it would be great.

(Hope you understand this fucked-up English. I lack of carpentry vocabulary, as well ).

Quote:
No, I didn't design them. I asked a woodworker to do it for me. I gave him a few cassettes and he designed/built my first cabinet. It held a couple thousand. The drawers open to expose the entire contents so each cd case is easily removed. It is Cantilever hardware that makes it work. They pull out very smoothly, and they are very strong. I had a twin made for the cassette cabinet because I quickly out grew it. The cost back in 1988 for the first one was $1700. The man who made them also was the guy who built the altar for the Pope when he visited here in Monterey in 1987, so the skill level was supurb. I then had a tall cabinet made to house my videotape collection as you can see in the picture. In the shot you showed (the cds) that was actually the twin cassette cabinet that I had retrofitted to hold all of my Grateful Dead sbds. My GD auds are stored elsewhere. Intrerestingly, when we remodled our home, the carpenter who made our built-in floor to ceiling bookshelves in the living room used extra oak to retro-fit the cabinet. He never charged me for it, so I gave him the extra cantilever hardware.

The shelves in "The lab" are built by myself with 3/4 by 4 inch pine. It costs me about $60 and an hour of time to cut and attach to the wall. All told, I'm at about 16,000 cds, and 2000 dvds.

Gotta go. More cabinets to build!
Old 2008-02-28, 02:01 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Thanks for the cantilever tip.

Man, you have quite a few music to listen to on retirement.

Quote:
The man who made them also was the guy who built the altar for the Pope when he visited here in Monterey in 1987,
So, this story from Monterey 1987 has to be true.

Someone in the crowd: "Who's the one standing at the right of Vlad?"
Someone else in the crowd: "It's the Pope!"

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble