The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-10-29, 12:07 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Initial Seeding- zero bytes uploaded after 2 weeks

Ok, I >must< have messed something up.

I have lots and lots of seeded torrents from stuff I have downloaded. I noticed I had something rare so tried to seed it like a good commoner. It is rare and not too much interest I am sure in it, but jeez after 2 weeks I would think there would have been something downloaded. I read up on new seeds, put it up following BitTorrent new seeding procedure and it seemed like a piece of cake. AFAIK and it seemed to be happy- I saw like up to 37 peers listed on my seed at one point, (it is now at 14, but I don't see a single byte downloaded.

Just trying to do my bit and figure this out. I also don't see it listed on common torrent indexing sites, which suggests to me I did something wrong.

I am using BitTorrent 7.9.9 Windows- the main file is 556 pieces, 1gb and it is set to Force Start, Initial seeding. I put a kitchen sink of trackers in there but nothing. I am on a fairly slow connection- with 7 seeds active right now, they are only getting like 10kB/s right now. Any help appreciated. Please let me know what details I should provide, or a best instruction guide with self checks I can do to see if I am doing something wrong. I am a pretty technical guy, know my way around compilers and such, but I don't get what I did wrong, or even how to debug what is not happening that should be happening. I see no error messages, nothing. It just looks happy but no uploads.

Maybe it is just rare for a reason.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-10-29, 12:48 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Re: Initial Seeding- zero bytes uploaded after 2 weeks

Where's the link? This was your first post. If you had actually uploaded a show that would have been your first post. Your statistics don't show any shows seeded.
Old 2016-10-29, 03:04 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I put a kitchen sink of trackers in there but nothing..
Torrents on this site run only on the trader's den tracker - private torrents only.

Are you just talking about something that you downloaded from here? You don't even have any stats that you've ever downloaded anything from here yet! Yeah, I'd say you're doing more than something wrong...
Old 2016-10-29, 03:51 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

As was said above, you don't seem to have followed any of the procedures at THIS site for either downloading something which you can seed to others later, or for uploading something brand new to the site to seed only.

Nobody using this site can connect to you unless you do this. Merely opening up your files to the world will do nothing until the world knows where to find them.
Old 2016-10-29, 01:24 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
Nobody using this site can connect to you unless you do this. Merely opening up your files to the world will do nothing until the world knows where to find them.
So "if you build it, they will come" doesn't apply to torrents?
Old 2016-10-29, 03:08 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks very much for everyone's responses.

Ok, my huge newb error here was that I scanned a few of the groovie technical posts on your site not realizing the context was for a private trading group. Ok, ok. I know. Stupid error. I heard of private trading groups but this is my first contact. What I am interested is in rare old movies and obscure books, so most probably nothing I would post would likely be of much general interest to your users. I'll look and see what is here, and will read your docs on how to do that.

To my original question I guess I was asking a question about how to do initial seeds for general torrenting - I guess that means procedures that do not rely on private trading sites. I can see several ways how it >>could<< work, but non of the peers uploaded any metadata so obviously I am doing it wrong. I have no opinions about private groups at all- I just don't know that any exist for the offbeat stuff I am interested in, so it seemed like wide dispersal via public torrenting would reach the widest audience for odd junk. The one I was trying to seed is so commercially uninteresting that all I see out there are vhsrips and or poor quality rips from dtv.

Can anyone suggest a site that is more appropriate for this sort of query? I seed alot of rare stuff that I have downloaded and have paid back in that way, but I would like to learn how to seed stuff I have that as far as I know is not currently available.

Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2016-10-29 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2016-10-29, 04:24 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

we are a site strictly for unofficial live concert recordings
Old 2016-10-29, 09:57 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Please accept my apologies for my confusion. No need for any more replies. Thanks everyone.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
initial seed, new seed, newbie upload