The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-21, 05:25 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

upload speeds

I have been reading faqs til my eyes are bleeding and i still cant figure out why my upload speeds are soooo slow. I am running azureus. Are there any tips I might be missing?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-22, 01:05 AM
2.58 GB/3.67 GB/1.42

Re: upload speeds

Most ISP's limit your upload and download speeds. You didn't mention who your ISP is and what kind of connection you have, but most people can download faster than they can upload. If you reach the max speed, there's nothing you can do to make it go any faster, unless you want to pay more money.

If you're asking this as a ratio question, the way to keep it above 1.00 is keep seeding the torrent after you finish downloading... leave the window open so more people can get the show and enjoy the music

If you have a broadband connection and are using a router to connect to the Internet, make sure you have your ports forwarded to ensure you get the best speeds possible. Check http://www.portforward.com or search the forums for more information.
Old 2006-01-22, 12:08 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You might want to run a speed test on your computer. Stop all your torrents before you do so. You can pick one from this list. When it tells you what you speed it, it is probably in terms of bits per second. You will need to divide that number by 8 in order to get Bytes per second (which is how bit torrent shows the speed).

Besides your ISP, you speed will depend on the number of seeds/leechers on a torrent. Also, it will depend on how much they are uploading (sometimes a person will hop on to help seed but set their upload so low that it hardly helps at all). And, then it will depend on how many torrents you are trying to download at the same time. And, whether you have your upload capped.

Old 2006-01-22, 03:53 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

Ok.... I checked my speeds and got a number of different results. The average seems to be about 157 kb d/l and 53.1 u/l. I dont know what to compare this with, is this good? I live way out in the country so I only have one option for dsl. I realize that I seem to like the kind of torrent that doesn't have many people on it, but . I still think I'm missing something. Do I need to limit the number of torrents I have running? if so, what's good. I want to trade fair and get my ratio up, but this stuff is very complicated!
Old 2006-01-22, 04:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have an upload of about 52 also. I limit myself to two downloading two torrents and then having one other only uploading (assuming I'm not the only seeder). Usually it is only one download and one upload (especially if I'm the only seeder on the one I'm uploading). This seems to work for me and allow me to keep my ratio up.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble