The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-08, 06:09 PM
223.85 GB/1.05 TB/4.81

Seeding problems?

Not sure where to start here but I'll try to keep it simple. I have two questions I guess;
First, whenever I download something and it is done I leave it up to help seed, but it seems for whatever reason I don't seem to be uploading. There will be plenty of peers but for whatever reason I will not be uploading. Sometimes under status it will say I am seeding and nothing is happening and other times it will say I am queued. I useually try to keep whatever I downloaded there for a few days, but nothing ever really happens.

Which brings me to my second question. Today I tried to seed my first show. Everything went alright and the torrent went up fine. When all was said and done the the torrent showed I was seeding but I never was uploading anything. I waited a few hours and I could see that there were peers trying to download but nothing was happening. So curious as I was I asked afriend to try and download show. And he did, all went well. But since the uploading I did to him I've done nothing more. And now the seed is just queued even though there are 8 peers. I also asked my friend to keep his client open and he seems to be seeding fine he has a nice Green smiley and mine is grey
I'm not sure why this is..... We both use azureus and I even set them both up so they are set up the same.....We both live in the same house so we both have the same ISP.

Anyway I hope someone can make some sense of this because I would like to contribute more and its seems like something is preventing me from doing so.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-08, 06:19 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Seeding problems?

If you are "queued", then that means Azureus is waiting to start the show. You must be using the rules and have it set to only start so many shows at a time (or after certain criteria is met). So, you should take a look at your rules to see what you have set. You can also select the torrent and right-click Force Start and then it will ignore the rules and start anyway. A reason why you may have uploaded to your friend and not others could be that your are firewalled and your friend is not. But, try to do a Force Start and see if that gets things going.

Old 2006-11-08, 06:46 PM
769.70 GB/445.67 GB/0.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If you are "queued", then that means Azureus is waiting to start the show. You must be using the rules and have it set to only start so many shows at a time (or after certain criteria is met). So, you should take a look at your rules to see what you have set. You can also select the torrent and right-click Force Start and then it will ignore the rules and start anyway. A reason why you may have uploaded to your friend and not others could be that your are firewalled and your friend is not. But, try to do a Force Start and see if that gets things going.
it sounds like he needs to Force Download / Force Seed to me but he may be firewalled or both
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
when carrying a headless corpse through the streets, there is no better accessory than the Nike black leather condom cap.
Old 2006-11-08, 07:02 PM
769.70 GB/445.67 GB/0.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollenran
it sounds like he needs to Force Download / Force Seed to me but he may be firewalled or both
Also how many torrents are you downloading and uploading
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
when carrying a headless corpse through the streets, there is no better accessory than the Nike black leather condom cap.
Old 2006-11-08, 07:40 PM
223.85 GB/1.05 TB/4.81

Quote:
I tried to force download and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Quote:
Also how many torrents are you downloading and uploading
As of right now I am downloading none and uploading two ( which neither is doing anything) One only has 1 peer and like 9 seeds and that is something I downloaded this afternoon. But the the seed I started this morning has 13 peers and I'm not doing any uploading.

As for me being firewalled, I'm not sure if I am or not, all evidence points to not being, since I've forwarded my ports my NAT test is fine and is green and I have done what I have needed to do with my firewall in my antivirus.
But there is one thing of note.....My DHT is yellow ( it has always been this way and not been a problem downloading but I can't seem to find any info on how to change it.
Old 2006-11-08, 10:10 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Did you download the torrent from the thread to start seeding the show? Also, are you using Azureus (like I assumed) or some other client?

Old 2006-11-08, 11:10 PM
223.85 GB/1.05 TB/4.81

Quote:
Did you download the torrent from the thread to start seeding the show? Also, are you using Azureus (like I assumed) or some other client?
Yes I did download the torrrent to start the seeding and it all seemed to go well. And yes I am using Azureus 2.5.

I seem to be be getting some connections now.... 1 sometimes 2 peers and its uploading some but it seems to be going on and off. Maybe this is normal for seeding? I'm not sure, I'll keep plugging at trying to get things to go smoother. Plus I'll take anymore and all advice

And if anyone can help out with the Yellow DHT thing that would be great, I've tried everything and looked all over and no one seems to have an answer.

Thanks again all
Old 2006-11-09, 03:07 AM
55.53 GB/98.66 GB/1.78

are you using winxp? are you using a 3rd party firewall or security client (norton internet security, etc...) if you are on win xp and not using any other clients, go to start menu/control panel/windows firewall. if it is on, then make sure that the "Don't Allow Exceptions box is cleared, click on the exceptions tab and check the box beside azareus. if azareus isnt listed, or if you have any problems doing this, reply back and i'll try to help.
Old 2006-11-09, 10:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You may want to turn off DHT. Check this thread on how to do that: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=28904

Azureus 2.5 has some problems if you are the original seeder. It seems that you sometimes (so far everytime for me) have to put the torrent into the client and have it check the files a *couple* of times before you don't get a tracker error in the status box. So, make sure to check that tab for the show (double-click it, go to the General tab) and look under Tracker Status. It should say "OK" there.

Old 2006-11-09, 02:45 PM
223.85 GB/1.05 TB/4.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincan
are you using winxp? are you using a 3rd party firewall or security client (norton internet security, etc...) if you are on win xp and not using any other clients, go to start menu/control panel/windows firewall. if it is on, then make sure that the "Don't Allow Exceptions box is cleared, click on the exceptions tab and check the box beside azareus. if azareus isnt listed, or if you have any problems doing this, reply back and i'll try to help.

I do use windows XP and I have that firewall off.....I use for my personal firewall and internet security Trend Micro 2006 but I have that set up to allow for azurues in the exceptions so all should be good there.

Quote:
You may want to turn off DHT. Check this thread on how to do that: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=28904

Azureus 2.5 has some problems if you are the original seeder. It seems that you sometimes (so far everytime for me) have to put the torrent into the client and have it check the files a *couple* of times before you don't get a tracker error in the status box. So, make sure to check that tab for the show (double-click it, go to the General tab) and look under Tracker Status. It should say "OK" there.
I checked that thread out and thats how I am set up so I think I'm alright there.....My tracker status has always said OK.

I will say I did have the problem that you metioned and did have to download the torrent twice before everything registered. But I had read somewhere else about that so when it happened I just did it a second time and all was fine.

Maybe I'm making too much of this I have been uploading some just not nearly as much as I thought......On the show that I seeded I have a 2.052 share ratio. So maybe this is alright, I'm not sure I just thought it would be more.

Thanks again

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble