The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-21, 10:31 PM
538.57 GB/237.45 GB/0.44

sony vegas 6.0 help

i am trying to make a video with vegas and i have a few ? and i hope some one can help me out with some info.my first ? is dropped frames what is the cause for this when i captured the film i hade something like 28,000 dropped frames is this normal.second ? i put a new audio source in the video and when i tryed to save it i was not for sure what kind of file to save it as so i saved it as a windows movie avi and it saved 5 different files 3.99gb each is this normal.and third ? is what the hell do i do next.any help would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-21, 11:42 PM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Re: sony vegas 6.0 help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_in
my first ? is dropped frames what is the cause for this when i captured the film i hade something like 28,000 dropped frames is this normal.
28,000 frames is not normal. You should be aiming for 0 dropped frames.
The main reason for having dropped frames is because your hard drive cannot keep up with the video while you're transferring it from your camera.
Some things to try:
1. Defragment your hard disk
2. Capture your video to a dedicated hard disk (a hard disk that does not contain your operating system and program files)
3. While capturing - don't use your computer. Turn off your virus protection, stop using the internet, close down all unnecessary programs (especially if you only have 1 hard disk)

Quote:
second ? i put a new audio source in the video and when i tryed to save it i was not for sure what kind of file to save it as so i saved it as a windows movie avi and it saved 5 different files 3.99gb each is this normal.
You should be exporting (also known as rendering) your video to the MPEG-2 format. That is the format the DVDs use. You will need to specify a bitrate for your video depending on how long your concert is. Check out this link for a bitrate calculator: http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html

Quote:
third ? is what the hell do i do next.
After you have encoded your video to MPG and exported your audio to .mp2, .ac3 or .wav, you will need to use an "authoring" program to create your menus, chapter points and create the DVD structure. Sony makes an authoring package called DVD Architect. Other examples include DVD-Lab (http://www.mediachance.com) and TMPGEnc DVD Author (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda20.html)
Old 2007-02-21, 11:54 PM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

One more thing - this is part of answer 2:

You will also need to export your audio. You can encode it to the .mp2, .ac3 format or just leave it as .wav (PCM).
Make sure the bitate of your video + audio bitrate does not exceed the maximum as defined by the DVD specification. The bitrate calculator link above will help you with that.
Old 2007-02-22, 08:42 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I dont like to capture clips either... I like one long capture. which will be about 13 gb per hour of dv footage. There is a setting in the capture options screen that is something about determining capture length. uncheck this option so it captures one clip.

do searches here... there is a lot of info you are asking here.
Old 2007-02-22, 09:18 AM
TTD VIP
929.72 GB/5.13 TB/5.65

Quote:
i am trying to make a video with vegas and i have a few ? and i hope some one can help me out with some info.my first ? is dropped frames what is the cause for this when i captured the film i hade something like 28,000 dropped frames is this normal.second ? i put a new audio source in the video and when i tryed to save it i was not for sure what kind of file to save it as so i saved it as a windows movie avi and it saved 5 different files 3.99gb each is this normal.and third ? is what the hell do i do next.any help would be very helpful.
Sounds like your harddrive may be formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS. This would explain the 4GB file size, which is the maximum for FAT32.
Old 2007-02-22, 09:34 AM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much
Sounds like your harddrive may be formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS. This would explain the 4GB file size, which is the maximum for FAT32.
That is a good point to check.... this could cause the clips also.... although I think it would just stop and not make clips.

OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > CAPTURE > ENABLE DV SCENE DETECTION

that was the setting I couldn't remember above. You want to have it unchecked so it doesn't cut the capture into clips.
Old 2007-02-22, 10:52 AM
I should be working
2.69 TB/1.70 TB/0.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG
28,000 frames is not normal. You should be aiming for 0 dropped frames.
The main reason for having dropped frames is because your hard drive cannot keep up with the video while you're transferring it from your camera.
Some things to try:
1. Defragment your hard disk
2. Capture your video to a dedicated hard disk (a hard disk that does not contain your operating system and program files)
3. While capturing - don't use your computer. Turn off your virus protection, stop using the internet, close down all unnecessary programs (especially if you only have 1 hard disk)

You should be exporting (also known as rendering) your video to the MPEG-2 format. That is the format the DVDs use. You will need to specify a bitrate for your video depending on how long your concert is. Check out this link for a bitrate calculator: http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html

After you have encoded your video to MPG and exported your audio to .mp2, .ac3 or .wav, you will need to use an "authoring" program to create your menus, chapter points and create the DVD structure. Sony makes an authoring package called DVD Architect. Other examples include DVD-Lab (http://www.mediachance.com) and TMPGEnc DVD Author (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda20.html)

That's good advice about the capturing. I had over 90% of my hard drive free and still got some dropped frames when capturing. I defraged and it worked perfectly after that. A friend also had his laptop and was capturing a video at my house and an antivirus reminder popped up and caused a few dropped frames. Turn off every program and dedicate your cpu to capturing when capturing.
Old 2007-02-22, 12:28 PM
538.57 GB/237.45 GB/0.44

thanks for all the info.i do shut every thing down when capturing and also defraged my E drive the drive i use to save and it is a fat32.it being a fat32 and not a ntfs is their a way to reformat the drive.and i will recapture using what saltman said.again thanks for all the input.and i will give all these things a try
Old 2007-02-22, 12:39 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

fat32 to NTFS

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php
Old 2007-02-22, 12:41 PM
TTD VIP
929.72 GB/5.13 TB/5.65

Quote:
thanks for all the info.i do shut every thing down when capturing and also defraged my E drive the drive i use to save and it is a fat32.it being a fat32 and not a ntfs is their a way to reformat the drive.and i will recapture using what saltman said.again thanks for all the input.and i will give all these things a try
In "My Computer", Right click the specified drive select format and next choose NTFS, under File System. I'm assuming this is not the same drive that the OS is installed on? Oh and you will loose whatever is on the drive, with this method.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble