The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-21, 11:26 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: How do I burn .flac & .shn files onto an audio CDR?

I like to burn with EAC.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-22, 04:48 PM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoIFeelLucky
As for changing the sampling rate/bit depth,
Unless (of course) you want to play a GM DVD release (i.e. Texas Pop) on your car stereo
Old 2005-05-22, 05:17 PM
Duck, Duck, Goose
57.06 GB/49.40 GB/0.87

i use foobar to burn. it is the shizzz
Old 2005-05-22, 10:43 PM
rerem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_fire
http://www.download.com/dBpowerAmp-M...ml?tag=lst-0-1

That's a link to dbPowerAMP. I downloaded the codecs, or whatever you call them, for .shn, .flac, .ogg, and one other I forget the extension. It appears to be a good program. Or do you think I should use Trader's Little Helper instead?

And by the way, thanks for all the quick help guys. I appreciate it bigtime
I use dbPowerAmp. I like it,but you know you need to have the flac + SHN plug-ins for it. I recently got little helper an aim to use it soon.
You CAN burn flac or shn to a DATA cd as storage,but no regular CD/DVD player will handle them,even if they do mp3 playback. One portable is working on flac compatibility
Old 2005-05-22, 11:25 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

The Rio Karma has FLAC support

Quote:
Old 2005-05-23, 12:52 AM
14.23 GB/11.13 GB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerem
I use dbPowerAmp. I like it,but you know you need to have the flac + SHN plug-ins for it. I recently got little helper an aim to use it soon.
You CAN burn flac or shn to a DATA cd as storage,but no regular CD/DVD player will handle them,even if they do mp3 playback. One portable is working on flac compatibility
When trading bootlegs on this site or others, do people prefer the file put onto a CDR as "data" and left in the .flac format? Or converted to .wav and put onto an 80 minute "audio" CDR so that in can play in a car/home theater?

I do know that if you save as "data" you can probably put about 2-3 times the amount of songs onto each CDR.
Old 2005-05-23, 01:10 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
When trading bootlegs on this site or others, do people prefer the file put onto a CDR as "data" and left in the .flac format? Or converted to .wav and put onto an 80 minute "audio" CDR so that in can play in a car/home theater?

I do know that if you save as "data" you can probably put about 2-3 times the amount of songs onto each CDR.
we absolutely prefer the file put onto a CDR as "data" and left in the .flac format and audio cdrs for personal use only.

Quote:
Old 2005-05-23, 01:14 AM
vegas_jay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Most trades I have done (I am new so the number is not real big) have been audio CDs. I have never asked anybody to just send FLACs and I have only been asked to do it that way one time. But what I do when trade discs come in is extract the waves with EAC, convert them to FLACs, then archive the FLACs on DVD. If I were just being sent FLACs it would save a step for me, but I suppose not everybody uses a similar system.
Old 2005-05-23, 03:37 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_jay
Most trades I have done (I am new so the number is not real big) have been audio CDs. I have never asked anybody to just send FLACs and I have only been asked to do it that way one time. But what I do when trade discs come in is extract the waves with EAC, convert them to FLACs, then archive the FLACs on DVD. If I were just being sent FLACs it would save a step for me, but I suppose not everybody uses a similar system.
as Five said, the majority of us prefer "data" format, since each time you extract an audio cdr, you have more of a chance to introduce glitches and errors [sort of like copying a cassette over and over]...when trading in data [flac/shn/etc] you eliminate this possibility, as well as have the ability to pass on checksums, etc., which most tradres want to have for authenticating a show...
Old 2005-05-23, 11:01 AM
salamander
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

hmmm, so you want to burn them onto an audio cd right?....i strongly recomend you check out this software called BURRRN its awsome you just choose your flac files and it will burn them to a standard audio disc heres the link to there web page ..oh by the way its free.... http://www.burrrn.net/
Old 2005-05-23, 11:48 AM
vegas_jay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
as Five said, the majority of us prefer "data" format, since each time you extract an audio cdr, you have more of a chance to introduce glitches and errors [sort of like copying a cassette over and over]...when trading in data [flac/shn/etc] you eliminate this possibility, as well as have the ability to pass on checksums, etc., which most tradres want to have for authenticating a show...
I guess I should start asking about doing it that way when setting up trades. I figured people might think of it as a "hassle".
Old 2005-05-23, 11:52 AM
14.23 GB/11.13 GB/0.78

If you make it a "data" CD and just flop the .flac files on there, the receiver can just extract the .flac files from the "data" disc onto his harddrive; then simply convert them to .wav to put onto a CDR?

Is this the general philosophy?
Old 2005-05-23, 12:27 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
If you make it a "data" CD and just flop the .flac files on there, the receiver can just extract the .flac files from the "data" disc onto his harddrive; then simply convert them to .wav to put onto a CDR?

Is this the general philosophy?
YES.

...but the "key" to this philosophy is that with trading lossless data discs, you can include the checksum for the lossless files [flacfingerprint for .flac, & .md5 for .shn and others]. Checksums are becoming almost mandatory, in order to preserve the original quality of a particular show...otherwise, you can end up with numerous "versions" of the same show in the "gene pool", each one with the possibility of errors or glitches...none of us want shows with errors right?!?!
Old 2005-05-23, 12:48 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Kurt and Vegas and any other noobs...

i'll break down "how i do it" just to give you an idea...note: i'm no expert or anything, but i've been a vinyl collector for years now, have worked in recording, and am pretty anal about audio quality...you might not be as anal from a collecting standpoint, but you should attempt to hold the highest standards for *everyone's* sake, since alot of people in the trading community are audiophiles...that said...

i pretty much trade strictly in lossless data format...when i get a set of shows in, i usually copy the show's folder to my comp, decode them to .wav and burn em for listening...i then just archive the data disc i received...

i'd say about 10% of the time i might get something in audio cdr format...
--i extract the disc [using EAC...properly configured for my system]
--i then take the resulting set of .wav files and create a .md5 checksum for the .wav files [using md5summer]
--next, i encode the .wav files to flac [level 8] using Trader's Little Helper.
--i then create a flacfingerprint checksum [.ffp] using TLH.
--i'll also search various online sites [such as db.etree.org] to see if i can find any info re: the show, as well as any previous checksums which i can compare against the ones i just made [if so, i'll usually put them in the info text file along with the shows details, setlists, etc]

now yer ready to archive...
--i create a folder with the bands name, date, and lossless format [i'll make one up - ledzep1972-05-12flac]
--inside this folder i'll place the show's .flac files, BOTH the .wav & .flac checksums (.md5 & .ffp), and the info text file (.txt)...
--i burn this folder to disc using data format [ISO9660] and archive.

The audio cd i received, i then use to listen to the show in the car or wherever...doesn't matter if it gets scratched cuz i've got the data archived.

hope this helps a little...i'll try to "resurrect" the Trading 101 guide and talk to some of the Mods about possibly gettin a version of it available...SLAINTE!
Old 2005-05-23, 02:47 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I for one would love to check out your revamped trading guide 101.

I prefer to trade for data discs but sometimes (especially with some rarer stuff) the only way I can get it is as an audio cdr... or even a cassette! I then do my research online and send a few pms and emails to try to get short samples from ppl of existing versions of the show which are circulating (if there are any) to make a judgment as to whether the "new" source is different than what's circulating (same taper or not) and also whether the "new" source sounds any cleaner or not. By listening carefully to the crowd noise around the taper I can also determine if the "new" source is from a different taper.

I got a ton of cassette stuff from a friend... some of the tapes are original masters, some are lowgens which widely circulate as a much higher gen, some are highgens which widely circulate as much lowergens and some are even taped from very old bootleg vinyl etc.

hope all that jargon makes some sense...

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble