The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2020-12-26, 10:46 AM
swintonboy
62.27 GB/22.40 TB/368.27

Minidisc recordings - lineage

I have a few shows I'm considering uploading that were recorded on Minidisc between 2004 and 2009 (I only moved to a WAV recorder in 2010 - don't judge me) and some bootleg tapes I bought from Camden Market (which I would assume are lowgen as the guys who ran the stalls were tapers)

Would the following be acceptable lineages for shows not available elsewhere and what additional info would be required. I'd adjust levels in Pyro Audio Creator in each example?

1 MD -> WAV (direct transfer to Edirol R07) -> FLAC

2 MD -> CDR (direct transfer to standalone Philips CDR) -> EAC to WAV -> FLAC frontend

3 CASS bootleg (From Camden Market) -> WAV (direct transfer to Edirol R07) -> FLAC
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2020-12-26, 10:52 AM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Re: Minidisc recordings - lineage

You should include the MD unit/model used to record and/or transfer the shows. Also, unless they are Hi-MD and lossless PCM recordings, anything after 2008/01/01 is not allowed here if its regular Net-MD. Taped before 2008/01/01, it should be fine.

And for the cassettes, doesn't hurt to include the type of tape. Say which deck model was used to transfer it, whether there was Dolby or No Dolby, etc.

EDIT: January 1st, 2008

Last edited by LeifH12345; 2020-12-26 at 11:06 AM. Reason: md ban date
Old 2020-12-26, 11:03 AM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Here's what each lineage should look like:

1) Which mic (if known) > MD unit (model if known) > Brand of blank MD > MD Deck used to transfer (Model if known) > R-07 > Pyro Audio Creator > Flac (which program used to encode - Frontend?)

2) Which mic (if known) > MD unit (model if known) > Brand of blank MD > MD Deck used to transfer (Model if known) > CDR (direct transfer to standalone Philips CDR) -> EAC to WAV -> FLAC frontend

3) Cassette Bootleg from Camden Market (audience/sbd/fm, brand of tape, type 1 or 2, dolby, etc) > Cassette Deck (which model, dolby, etc) > R-07 (16 bit? 24 bit? ) > Pyro Audio Creator > Flac Frontend (?)
Old 2020-12-26, 11:04 AM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

What Leif said, except the cutoff date 2008-01-01. From the FAQ:

Quote:
11. Mini-disc is accepted ONLY if it's from the original source master.
Quite simply, mini-disc uses a compression format which decreases the quality of a recording slightly from true CD quality. Since there are many excellent sounding MD sources in circulation, these are accepted provided that the original recording was made with an MD. Converting from other formats into MD and then to lossless audio is prohibited. Also, shows that have been through multiple MD generations are prohibited. Please seed your MD masters directly to lossless files, but keep the quality as good as possible by not seeding multiple gen MD stuff.

We no longer allow ATRAC MiniDisc recordings made on or after January 1, 2008 to be uploaded. This does not affect recordings made prior to January 1, 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2020-12-26, 11:22 AM
swintonboy
62.27 GB/22.40 TB/368.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
What Leif said, except the cutoff date 2008-01-01. From the FAQ:

Thank you for the clarification and the pointer to the additional info in the FAQ which I hadn't seen. I had a few 2008/9 MD recordings - but wasn't sure whether the rule, which I'm guessing was made to try and dissuade new MD recordings at the time, was still applicable given the passage of time.

I'll stick to recordings that follow the rules.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?