The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-04-04, 01:10 PM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

Seeding / Ratios / Utorrent

i'd like to continue seeding and sharing.
i'd also like to be sure that my ratio is healthy, and it is,
but i noticed in Utorrent that many of the seeds i make available have the red up arrow and tracker status says tracker sending invalid data <NULL> or a grey up arrow and the tracker status says scrape ok.

i'm always seeding but lately my ratio doesn't improve.

it seems that folks are able to access the files as such ... i'm seeding,
but i'm curious to know if these seeds i'm making available are counting toward improving my ratio, or if those with red or grey up arrows no longer affect the ratio?

please advise ... and thanks very much.
bbarbh
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-04, 01:29 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Seeding / Ratios / Utorrent

You can always look in your profile to see what the tracker thinks you are seeding: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=164228 It shows you seeding 10 torrents, which is the max amount you are allowed to seed. However, all of them have 0 leechers. I wouldn't bother seeding those, seed some that need a seed.

If it says "scrape OK", then you only have the torrent sitting in your window. You aren't actually trying to seed it. The others, with invalid data, may be torrents that you are trying to seed but are over the max amount of 10 and therefore not being counted.

Also, seeding torrents with 0 leechers will not improve your ratio at all.

Old 2008-04-05, 07:18 AM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

thanks very much for your reply but either i'm not understanding your response or i wasn't clear in my description. i have not initiated seeding. i have only DL'd items from TTD and then i keep them available for others to access from me...i try to keep Utorrent open often, even when not DLding so that i can contribute to the stream access for others for items i have grabbed.
would your response be different knowing this?
thanks again very much
Old 2008-04-05, 09:28 AM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

Are you sure you're seeding an ACTIVE torrent? That error has happened to me when I was trying to seed an inactive torrent from TTD...
Old 2008-04-05, 09:52 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbh View Post
thanks very much for your reply but either i'm not understanding your response or i wasn't clear in my description. i have not initiated seeding. i have only DL'd items from TTD and then i keep them available for others to access from me...i try to keep Utorrent open often, even when not DLding so that i can contribute to the stream access for others for items i have grabbed.
would your response be different knowing this?
thanks again very much
Once you finish downloading the show, you are a 'seeder', so you are then considered to be 'seeding' the show. All those shows that you have left open are considered seeds now on TTD. But, the problem is NONE of the shows that you are 'seeding' have any leechers. Therefore, nobody wants the show from you and you cannot upload to them. Take a look at the list in your profile... click where it says "Current Activity on Tracker" and it will have a column that says "S/L/C". The first column is Seeders, the second is Leechers, and the third is Completes. All the shows in that list have a 0 in the L slot. You should Stop those torrent on your uTorrent list and see if there are any torrents you have that have some leechers. That is the only way your ratio will go up.

Old 2008-04-05, 03:03 PM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

U2Lynne
thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me.
i've grabbed maybe 100 or more shows from TTD over the year or so that i've been happy to know about the site. most are still in my Utorrent list and so i thought available for others by my seeding them.
I went to the "Current activity on tracker" list as you suggested and there were only 10 items in the list, 9 of which had a 0 in the L column.
1. The 10 in the Current activity on tracker list ... are those the only shows with a current active tracker?
2. Are you suggesting that the 100s of shows i have in Utorrent, and thus on my hard drive ... i should remove them since they don't have active trackers and thus won't ever help my ratio again?
3. How could i go thru the 100s of shows i have in the Utorrent list and compare them to a Leechers list to see which i should keep or not?
4. the many shows that appear in my "active" listing in Utorrent, when it's open .. it certains appears that people are able to access these shows since the UpSpeed column shows much activity ... what is this all about? are people accessing my shows via other torrent trackers but not via a TTD tracker that would help my ratio at TTD?
5. to help my ratio, should i just kind of start over, and only keep the most recent DLs i've gotten?
you get the picture on what i'm trying to accomplish here
i never ran across this before, it always appeared that my ratio was increasing because i was leaving Utorrent open often simply to seed.
thanks VERY much ... again

Last edited by bbarbh; 2008-04-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2008-04-05, 03:19 PM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

to U2Lynne
more questions that i couldn't amend to my prior message
first...THANKS
6. what is the difference between Seeder/Leecher/Completes
7. what is a Leecher?
8. in Utorrent the Active list is always busy with items that have activity in the UpSpeed column...many of these that originated at TTD, under Tracker Status say: Tracker sending invalid data: <NULL> ... what does this mean? are these items being grabbed by TTD people? non-TTD people? totally unaffects my TTD ratio and thus could remove them? this is occuring for a show i just grabbed only a few days ago ... why does this happen...what does this message mean?
Old 2008-04-05, 10:34 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
U2Lynne
thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me.
i've grabbed maybe 100 or more shows from TTD over the year or so that i've been happy to know about the site. most are still in my Utorrent list and so i thought available for others by my seeding them.
I went to the "Current activity on tracker" list as you suggested and there were only 10 items in the list, 9 of which had a 0 in the L column.
1. The 10 in the Current activity on tracker list ... are those the only shows with a current active tracker?
2. Are you suggesting that the 100s of shows i have in Utorrent, and thus on my hard drive ... i should remove them since they don't have active trackers and thus won't ever help my ratio again?
3. How could i go thru the 100s of shows i have in the Utorrent list and compare them to a Leechers list to see which i should keep or not?
4. the many shows that appear in my "active" listing in Utorrent, when it's open .. it certains appears that people are able to access these shows since the UpSpeed column shows much activity ... what is this all about? are people accessing my shows via other torrent trackers but not via a TTD tracker that would help my ratio at TTD?
5. to help my ratio, should i just kind of start over, and only keep the most recent DLs i've gotten?
you get the picture on what i'm trying to accomplish here
i never ran across this before, it always appeared that my ratio was increasing because i was leaving Utorrent open often simply to seed.
thanks VERY much ... again
1. Those are the only ten shows the tracker sees you on. You can only seed a maximum of ten shows. Anything over that gets ignored by the tracker.
2. Don't remove them, simply Stop them (red box). You don't need to have them Seeding if there are zero leechers.
3. uTorrent shows you the trackers stats for the shows in the list. Peers (the number of seeders) and Leechers are shown (by default, I believe). I use Azureus, which is similar, and click on Leechers and then it sorts the list by Leechers and I pick and choose which shows to seed that way.
4. It could be, I don't know. You probably have DHT enabled (if you didn't disable it, then it's on) and are seeding that way and that bypasses the tracker.
5. Well, you may have several shows in uTorrent that are no longer on the tracker. You should try to keep tracker of that. Usually there is a status column and it will give a tracker error if the torrent was removed from the tracker. Also, it won't show Peers and Leechers in those columns if the shows have been removed from the tracker.
Quote:
to U2Lynne
more questions that i couldn't amend to my prior message
first...THANKS
6. what is the difference between Seeder/Leecher/Completes
7. what is a Leecher?
8. in Utorrent the Active list is always busy with items that have activity in the UpSpeed column...many of these that originated at TTD, under Tracker Status say: Tracker sending invalid data: <NULL> ... what does this mean? are these items being grabbed by TTD people? non-TTD people? totally unaffects my TTD ratio and thus could remove them? this is occuring for a show i just grabbed only a few days ago ... why does this happen...what does this message mean?
6. Seeders have the complete show and are trying to share it with others. Leechers don't have the whole show and are trying to get it from others (and hopefully also sharing what they have at the same time). Completes are the number of users who have downloaded the show.
7. See 6.
8. I don't use uTorrent, so I can't answer this really. My guess would be it is either a torrent which is no longer on the tracker (does it show any peers or leechers in the list?) or it is a torrent you turned 'on', but the tracker is trying to tell uTorrent that it can't see this torrent cuz you are over the ten allowed torrents to seed.

Old 2008-04-06, 09:50 AM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

U2Lynne
thanks again very much for your reply
i'm slowly catching on ... but NOT!
1. i guess i have to STOP those in the 10 that no leechers using Utorrent?
when i do that...and refresh the list via the profile, others take their place, but those could have 0 leechers too.
2. when i STOP the seeds via Utorrent, how do i then find out if those that are stopped then have Leechers, so i could Start them again?
3. Once i STOP a seed is it basically out of touch with TTD?
Utorrent doesn't have a "leechers" column to see who is leeching.
Utorrent has a Seeds and Peers column and each has a #(#) value .. tho not sure what this means.
4. So i've many potential seeds on my hard drive, most of them are now STOPPED via Utorrent ... how do i see which need to be Started again because there are leechers seeking to access them?
5. how can i access my profile easily so i can see my active list?
6. is there a way to amend my active list to only include those that have leechers at any time?

Last edited by bbarbh; 2008-04-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 2008-04-06, 11:11 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Every show in your uTorrent list should have a Peers and Leechers column. Each will look something like x(y). x is the number you are connected to (if it is stopped, the number will be 0) and y is the total number on the tracker. So, after you Stop all your torrents, you should Start some that have a number in the Leechers column. After you start it, it will go from 0(y) to x(y) where x is the number of leechers you are connected to. You WANT that number to be something other than 0. There is no need to try to seed a show that has a 0 in the (y) part.

You can access your profile by clicking on your name in the Currently Active Users list on the front page, or by clicking on your name in your post where a drop-down will have View Public Profile as an option.

uTorrent may have a way to use rules to only seed shows that need seeds (ie. that have leechers), but since I'm not a uTorrent user, I don't know how to instruct you on that. You will have to go to the uTorrent site and read the FAQ.

Old 2008-04-07, 07:30 AM
273.05 GB/1.16 TB/4.37

thanks very much again for you time and replies.

i'm hoping now that someone who views this thread, and who uses Utorrent can assist.

seems there's a dance i've got to get working with now, checking Utorrent for jobs that are active, or not, and that have leechers.

Utorrent has 2 columns, one called Seeds x(y) and one called Peers x(y).
not found any rules type thing where i could have Utorrent START jobs that have leechers and STOP jobs where leechers have gone.

hoping someone can verify this, but as far as i can tell, i've looked at jobs that are Stopped, and when i've seen a job under the Peers column, a job that has 0(# more than 0) and i've Started it, more often than not the job would become active tracker and start seeding ... so thus far i've at least been able to get some seeds going that do contribute to my TTD ratio.

ANYONE out there have a better, simpler way to accomplish this?

many thanks
Old 2008-04-07, 08:33 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

bbarbh, I believe you are over thinking the situation.

1. you download (leech)
2. you complete (now a Seed for others)
3. if you are a Seed & no one is leeching - nothing happens
4. if you are a Seed and others are downloading - you give back

keep your finished torrents running and you will seed back (eventually)
if you Stop or Remove the torrent - nothing happens.

there is no 'dance' or whatever you called it.. you're either in or you're out. its either on or its off.
you can't 'make' the torrent client do anything more.
the max torrents you can have running at this one site is 10.

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2008-04-07 at 08:39 AM.
Old 2008-04-07, 09:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
there is no 'dance' or whatever you called it.. you're either in or you're out. its either on or its off.
you can't 'make' the torrent client do anything more.
the max torrents you can have running at this one site is 10.
His problem is that he leaves all his torrents On. So, he may have 50 torrents done and completed at TTD and have them all ON, but only 10 of them are recognized by the tracker. So, he's trying to figure out how to decide which to have on and which to stop.

The best thing that works for me is to do it manually. I can upload at 70 (at night, I only upload at 35 during the day) and so I will only select 1 or 2 torrents to turn on to seed. If I do more than that, then I am really not giving much upload rate to the torrent. I hit the Peers column which sorts it and then pick a torrent which has more Peers than Seeders or that has Peers and no seeders and then I seed that one.

What is your upload rate? Do you get that great of a speed that seeding ten torrents is a good idea?

Old 2008-04-07, 05:00 PM
33.55 GB/120.93 GB/3.60

I too get the same error with mu-torrent. Didn't think it was because I was over the 10-cap. I like to share regardless of what the tracker picks up so I just leave em all running. I don't want to deprive someone of a show just because I didn't want it to count for me! If I have noticed that they still upload/download when "in the red" due to that error so I just leave em going.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal051988 View Post
I too get the same error with mu-torrent. Didn't think it was because I was over the 10-cap. I like to share regardless of what the tracker picks up so I just leave em all running. I don't want to deprive someone of a show just because I didn't want it to count for me! If I have noticed that they still upload/download when "in the red" due to that error so I just leave em going.
You have ten shows listed in your profile right now - and all but one of them have 0 leechers. Those are the only shows you will get tracker credit for. You can seed others if you have DHT enabled, but that bypasses the tracker and thus you won't get any ratio credit for them.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble