The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-01-27, 03:12 AM
436.32 GB/548.02 GB/1.26

Errors with Metallica 1991-09-28 Moscow, Russia (PAL) DVD

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=70006

HELP!!!!
I'm having another problem with this torrent. I've been stuck for over 7 hours now at 99.8% but cannot complete! I'm seeing this message in my torrent app's details log:
"piece 4419 failed hash check, re-downloading it"

It's been cycling / doing the same thing repeatedly every 30 seconds for hours, and will not complete!!!

This may have something to do with it, but I noticed that the Tracker URL listed for this torrent is:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...passkey=xxxxxx

Instead of the proper URL:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...r/announce.php

I REALLY want to finish this & seed properly! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!

Last edited by U2Lynne; 2010-01-27 at 09:23 AM. Reason: passkey edited out
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-01-27, 04:21 AM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Errors with Metallica 1991-09-28 Moscow, Russia (PAL) DVD

I don't know if any of these will help, but they might be worth trying.

1. Are you able to ban individual peers with your torrent client? Maybe there's one person with the bad piece that they keep sending to you, preventing others from sending the correct piece.
2. Stop the torrent, force a re-check and then restart the torrent.
3. Try a different torrent client.
Old 2010-01-27, 02:32 PM
436.32 GB/548.02 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintoni View Post
I don't know if any of these will help, but they might be worth trying.

1. Are you able to ban individual peers with your torrent client? Maybe there's one person with the bad piece that they keep sending to you, preventing others from sending the correct piece.
2. Stop the torrent, force a hash re-check and then restart the torrent.
3. Try a different torrent client.
I tried all of your suggestions, and no luck. Doubt it matters, but I am using a mac. I've tried at least 5 different torrent clients with the same results (even after forcing a re-check and then restarting the torrent), 99.8% complete and the message "piece 4419 failed hash check, re-downloading it" with all of them. All of the seeders are now at 100% as well!

My share ratio was dropping trying to complete this, so I stopped it entirely for now. I'm re-seeding another DVD here to keep my ratio.
If I can't resolve, I'm grabbing (what looks to be) the exact show/DVD at thepiratebay.

Any other suggestions?????
Old 2010-01-27, 10:29 PM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

I'm not an expert so I may be way off...

Do you know what file (eg. vob, ifo, bup, txt, jpg) has the missing piece? If so, try deleting that particular file and then redownload it.
Old 2010-01-28, 07:31 PM
436.32 GB/548.02 GB/1.26

Well, after many attempts to DL this torrent, it will not finish for me, still stuck at 99.8%.
A few files won't open, saying "cannot open file, may be corrupt or not recognized", deleted them, re-downloaded with the same results. The "md5v12005.md5" file is only supposed to be 0.98 KB, and mine is 323.3 MB!!
Other than 3 VOB files, all of my files are different sizes than how they are listed in this post. This is the ONLY torrent I have ever had problems with!!
Has anyone using a Mac successfully downloaded this??

I just grabbed the same PAL version of this DVD with a different main menu and no song selection from thepiratebay, and it sounds great too, although I can't compare the two. Any help and/or suggestions for me before I delete this would be appreciated!!
Old 2010-01-29, 05:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

are you sure that the 323.5MB file isn't the VTS_01_5.VOB file?

been using bit torrent and macs for years, have ran into hash errors before but never where it didn't correct itself if others had the correct hash, so i dunno

one thing you could always do is post int he thread that you can't get get the files d/led if someone would be willing to B&P or snail mail trade it for you
Old 2010-01-30, 02:09 AM
436.32 GB/548.02 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
are you sure that the 323.5MB file isn't the VTS_01_5.VOB file?

been using bit torrent and macs for years, have ran into hash errors before but never where it didn't correct itself if others had the correct hash, so i dunno

one thing you could always do is post int he thread that you can't get get the files d/led if someone would be willing to B&P or snail mail trade it for you
I'm positive that my 323.5MB file was an md5. Weird! I deleted the entire torrent folder and was going to start from scratch, but now I can't get any of my torrent clients to start a fresh download due to these messages:
"Error: Connection limit exceeded! You may only leech from one location at a time".
It also said "This .torrent file was created with a broken tool, and has at least 1 file with an invalid file or directory name".
My same problem when I first tried to grab this.

I've never seen this before with hash errors not correcting themselves with 100% seeders ever, and am totally perplexed. I'll have to settle for the piratebay version.
Thanks SO much for the help & suggestions though!

PS. Try to start this with a mac for shits & see if you get an error..
Old 2010-01-30, 08:39 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'll try a bit later and post back here
Old 2010-02-02, 04:49 PM
436.32 GB/548.02 GB/1.26

I found this question/answer post about this same type of problem posted at tapecity.org, and it explains what I've experienced. (There is an empty AUDIO_TS folder in this Metallica torrent):

"My download wouldn't start though. My bit-torrent downloader flashed this message up: "DVD1": Bad Data in response file- Total too small.
I'm not sure what that means
."

"I hope this message helps in getting things straighten out and moving.
I've seen this problem before. It's because of the empty "AUDIO_TS" folder that's in this download. Empty folders are poison to Bit-Torrent. Several Bit Torrent programs don't work when the "AUDIO_TS" folder is there. But some do.
If you click on the various downloaders names at the bottom of the 1st page you can see their preferred Bit Torrent client, or program. This will give you an idea of which programs WILL work with this (empty folder) kind of download
I seem to remember using Bit-Lord, & ABC with success on these."

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble