The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-28, 02:42 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

people who sell shows....

You know I'm sort of conflicted on this. On the one hand, I don't think people should be selling shows. Point blank. I think that live shows should be shared by people to get them out to the fans and all that.

But what do you do when you stumble across someone who's selling some shows (if trades aren't able to be done, and they don't do B+P) who has shows that A. you've never seen before, and didn't even know were out there and B. you can't find anywhere else.

Do you give in and cop the shows figuring that as long as you can get them and then spread them through the community that it'll be okay?

Let me explain the situation.

Years back when I FIRST got into tapetrading, I found this guy's webpage through tapetrader.com. He's based in Japan. So he has a MASSIVE list of shows. I mean, excuse the expression, an absolute fuckload of shows. And I'm talking about R&B, funk, soul shows. Now as most of you are aware of, there doesn't seem to be a huge contingent of sharers that have soul/R&B/Hip Hop/Funk type shows.

I mean there are some out there, but not even remotely close to the jam bands or the rock stuff or whatever.

So I went through his list and he had a handful of shows that I was just drooling over.

So I contacted him and was like, "look, I just got into this whole thing and I don't have a whole LOT of shows, but take a look at what I have and let's see if we can work something out. At worst, I can send you some blank dvds and postage."

He responded and said that he didn't do B+P and he didn't see anything I had that he wanted, and that he would charge me 5 bucks per CDR or 10 bucks per DVDR.

My initial reaction was (although I didn't respond to him in this way) "yeah, fuck YOU"

I responded that I appreciated him responding to me, but I wasn't really feeling the paying for boots thing.

And for some reason I ended up on his mailing list. lol

So flash forward to about a month ago and I got an email in an old email account I used from him that was a mass emailing kinda thing to all the people I suppose he deals with, saying the page was updated.

So I just went and looked through and there were still the shows I wanted and there were a couple more.

Now by this time I've been trading awhile and I've gotten some of the shows but there's still shows on there that I've never seen before didn't even know there were copies out there.

And so I hit him up and was like "check my list, blah blah blah" left off the B+P thing.

So he came back and said he had the stuff of interest on mine that he would have liked, and quoted me the prices.

This time I sat there and thought about it. I had some paypal dough laying around, and so I swallowed my pride and sent him like..38 bucks for the four dvds I wanted. He wanted 40 and I was like "dude, I got like 38.23..." lol

And that wasn't a lie.

So he was like, that's cool, go ahead.

So I paid him weekend and he shipped them this past monday. Got them today.

They're FANTASTIC.

One of the shows has a "do not sell this show" thing on it which kinda made me laugh. Authored by D.K.M. (says don't walk on the grass) lol

But I plan to upload the shows to here.

So my question is this, and I apologize for how long this is going:

Do you make excuses and pay for something if it's not available elsewhere, so you can then spread it around to others who might want it?

I mean, the dude was super polite, he's never been rude, never been ...anything but the perfect person to deal with, aside from him selling boots.

I saw a post while trying to find his page onetime from him on this forum, but it was way back in 2005 or something.

Just wondering....
Old 2008-07-28, 03:07 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: people who sell shows....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Rat Packer View Post
This time I sat there and thought about it. I had some paypal dough laying around, and so I swallowed my pride and sent him like..38 bucks for the four dvds I wanted. He wanted 40 and I was like "dude, I got like 38.23..." lol

And that wasn't a lie.

So he was like, that's cool, go ahead.

So I paid him weekend and he shipped them this past monday. Got them today.

They're FANTASTIC.

One of the shows has a "do not sell this show" thing on it which kinda made me laugh.
This makes me laugh too, more than you know.

Those who support such messages claim that they prevent sales. But here is exhibit A that shows they do not! They are kind of annoying though for the free traders to have to look at if they are on the actual show footage, and not just on a menu.

My opinion on buying shows is that it is never 100 % kosher, but at least you are liberating the shows to thousands of free traders who will now get them for free. Here's an idea for liberating more shows at lower cost: Sign up at an R&B/soul/hip hop message board/community (or make a thread here at TTD if there is interest) and then get several people (like 50 ppl each chip in $1.00 to a paypal account) to split the cost of buying them. Then you torrent the discs so everyone can get them for free. Before you do that, though, you might want to check to see if these shows are already circulating in the free trade community, and see if you can trade for them or get someone to seed a torrent.
Old 2008-07-28, 03:09 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

Yeah the "do not sell" was on the menu, not the footage (that I know of).

I've yet to run into a show that has that on the actual show footage.
Old 2008-07-28, 05:58 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful
Those who support such messages claim that they prevent sales. But here is exhibit A that shows they do not!
Wrong as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful
My opinion on
No one really cares about the opinion of a leech who's never taped, transferred, or authored a show.
Old 2008-07-28, 06:03 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

I just posted the first of the four shows in the Video Torrents section.

Jill Scott - Hidden Beach Launch Party (April 2000) - Proshot
Old 2008-07-28, 06:08 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You're right, the messages always prevent sales. All DVDs seeded here should have them. I look forward to trolling and personal attacks from hypocrites next.

Who says you represent anyone but yourself? Oh, you and your self important arrogance, that's who.

It's my opinion that all traders can have an opinion on selling and buying free trade shows.

Wrong, I've authored DVDs for myself, replacing the audio, etc. I've also taped for myself off TV and the radio, but none of the stuff is trade friendly.

Last edited by roomful; 2008-07-28 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2008-07-28, 06:26 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Or Germany. You canīt avoid factory-pressed Silvers sourced from here or Dime on CD / DVD on German record conventions, often enough packed in cheap digipaks whose cheap glue that holds the jewel-case is ruining the CDs after some years. You ask people why they buy that shit and donīt get it on the internet for free, and all they say is: "I want to have a proper CD of it". Well, good luck with the glue, retards.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2008-07-28, 06:29 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think the "do not sell" messages do help in some cases. In all cases? No, but some cases, yes.

As for the whole thing about buying shows and whether you should or not.... ideally, no one should have to buy them. However, obviously some people feel the need to make money off these shows, but luckily many people who buy them then liberate them so others do not have to buy them. If you look through the Audio section, anytime you see something with "Silver CD" in the lineage means it started out as a purchased show that was them liberated.

Old 2008-07-28, 06:29 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

All this seller had to do was remove the menu to get rid of the message and he didn't even bother to do that. He sold it with the original menu intact. So why would he give a shit about embedded text? Someone can always create a new account on ebay, and as for someone running their own site, well they don't have to post feedback or emails. A lot of the people who do buy on ebay would probably leave positive feedback anyway cuz they were just happy to have the show.
Old 2008-07-28, 06:31 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

Yeah I saw these shows and it was essentially two shows that I really wanted, and then I picked up a couple others that I had never seen online.

Figured at the very least, my loss of 38 bucks would be everyone else's gain by getting them out to everyone....
Old 2008-07-28, 06:32 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Yes, but is a rip from an obviously Dime- (or TTD-) sourced show that is sold as a Silver not a rip from a before-FLACed show and may be pulled after uploading on here? I guess I have some I bought back in 2003/04, long before I came in here.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

Old 2008-07-28, 06:37 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

oh and another thing. They came on these real slick looking blank DVDR's. I've never seen these before, they're solid white. No printing, no labels no little lettering in the middle, nothing.

It looks kinda cool, considering it's a simply all white disc.

I wrote him and asked him what media he used and he said he THOUGHT it was Taiyo Yuden ones.

I really liked the look of it though. lol

I'm such a nerd, I know.
Old 2008-07-28, 06:38 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

You fell in love with a blank?

--

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

Old 2008-07-28, 06:42 PM
229.40 GB/101.23 GB/0.44

shhhhhhhhhhhh!

*looks around guiltily*
Old 2008-07-28, 06:44 PM
450.96 GB/266.48 GB/0.59

Tayio Yuden Printable. Actually if you just go and buy disc that are able to be printed on they will be all white.
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble