The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-24, 04:14 PM
314.12 GB/372.52 GB/1.19

Question How to merge .vob files?

Hi there, i'm new to this place and i need some help. I've downloaded some video stuff from this site, and i discovered, that is splitted into 1GB parts... and i need to merge them into a one big file... so i can start n' enjoy whole show... Could you advice me some good software capable of it? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-24, 04:39 PM
279.49 GB/137.48 GB/0.49

Re: How to merge .vob files?

PowerDVD works just fine for me.
I just hit - play dvd file from hard disc and select the VIDEO_TS folder and it plays the entire folder as a regular dvd would.
Old 2006-11-24, 05:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You don't merge the files in order to play them. You play the entire VIDEO_TS folder (you can do so using VLC available at videolan.org). If you want to play it on a standalone DVD player, then you also burn the entire VIDEO_TS folder using the software of your choice. If you let us know what burning software you use, then we can tell you how to burn. (Or, you can just Google it.)

Old 2006-11-24, 09:49 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Welcome to the Den.

if you were to really want to merge them, "DVD Lab" will do it, but you should know that, when you burn a DVD, the vob files can't be any larger than 1GB for standalone players to read them. That's why most authors set their programs to create vobs around 0.99GB in size.

When you go to play them, if you use a DVD player application instead of windows media player (as suggested above), it will emulate a stand-alone player.

All the DVDs you get here should be compliant with the standards and ready to burn, so they should be ready to play with the DVD player software. The DVD PLayer software will treat the files as a single disc, automatically switching between them when needed, just like a stand-alone DVD player does.

Hope that clears it up for you.

For more info, visit http://www.videohelp.com and find the section that deals with DVD anatomy and standards.
Old 2006-11-24, 10:48 PM
20.89 GB/11.41 GB/0.55

nfp, all the "normal" full video stuff is like this, I play them as Weirdly says, with Power DVD, but you should be able to play it with WMP version 10 with no prob as well.
The prob is when you get some rared stuff, or image files like ISO or IMG, but this is not your case.
You can burn the stuff with Nero: DVD/Burn Video Files, and adding all the files which are in the folder, the same you do to burn audio files.
Now I put the stuff in Shrink before burning, just in case, cos I got some video stuff from Dime which was encoded or something with a region code, so I got a stuff I couldn't play with my home DVD player at last, and Shrink "cleans" all that weird stuff.

Sorry for my English.
Old 2006-11-25, 05:06 AM
314.12 GB/372.52 GB/1.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdly Sawbones
PowerDVD works just fine for me.
I just hit - play dvd file from hard disc and select the VIDEO_TS folder and it plays the entire folder as a regular dvd would.
I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD too, i just didn't know, that this soft can start next file in quee, as the previous ends cause i've always just clicked on file i wanted to play, so now it's no problem anymore I dont want to start new thread so i ask here - besides .vob files which "are" videos i want to dowload, in torrent there are files like .ifo, .bup or .md5. Could you explain what these files are and why i need them (i suppose i need them ).
Old 2006-11-25, 06:49 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
IFO Files give the player important navigational information, like where a chapter starts, where a certain audio or subtitle stream is located, etc. This is the reason why it's only possible to rip certain parts of a movie (like a chapter) with a ripper which can read this files.

BUP files are just backup files off the IFOs. As their counterparts they are not encrypted.
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dvd-structure.htm

Quote:
Wholefile md5 Checksums
Note: Wholefile md5 checksums are the type generated by programs such as mdsum, mkwact, and others. Please read on to understand why these are forbidden as the primary form of file verificaton at The Traders' Den.
The most rudimentary form of md5 fingerprinting is to run the algorithm on an entire file. By comparing two md5 checksum values, one will be able to confirm that the files that generated the values are the same. In the early days of lossless file trading on the internet, this was used to track recordings encoded to the Shorten (.shn) file format. This very effective method of ensuring that all files remain identical from user to user is still popular today. However, there are some fundamental weaknesses to this method, many that have arisen with the advent of .flac and .ape lossless audio formats as the preferred trading format of many users. Both of these newer formats permit the use of file tags so that a user can add artist, date, venue, source, or any other information they want to the file's header for display in their preferred media player. While adding or removing these tags doesn't change the audio at all, it does alter the file to include the additional header data, and therefore changes the file's checksum. Two files would thus appear different in a checksum comparison while being acoustically identical.

Furthermore, there is certain additional data that can be stored in .wav files that .shn and .ape allow to remain during compression, but which .flac sees as unecessary and potentially harmful to your system and thus removes it. Again, it would be possible to convert from .shn to .flac and back and have two acoustically identical files result in different wholefile md5 checksum values.

Yet another weakness to relying on wholefile md5 checksums is the need to use seek tables in .shn files. The earliest version of Shorten's codec did not allow for the files to be seekable during playback. As a "band-aid" for this oversight, they allowed for the addition of a seek table that would be appended to the file to provide the necessary information to make the file seekable. The problem, again, is that by adding this information a user changed the file but not the audio. This problem has been further compounded by the recent addition of alternate versions of seek tables, so that even files with seek tables can contain one of a few versions and thus have differing md5 checksum results while being musically identical.

Wholefile md5 is an effective method of comparing files, but has been made somewhat obsolete by the more versatile methods of audio file verification I'll discuss next.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2006-11-25, 06:50 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

.ifo and .bup files are, again, part of the DVD structure. They should be, and stay, in your VIDEO_TS folder.

.md5 files are checksum files. They allow you to double check that the files you downloaded are what they are. Read this: Checksums Demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-11-25, 11:03 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Read
and that, boys and girls, is the correct answer.
Old 2006-11-25, 03:34 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
and that, boys and girls, is the correct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-11-27, 11:56 PM
ALUCARD24
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon4 Re: How to merge .vob files?

download dvd shrink 3.2 , then download dvd decrypter , open dvd shrink and drag and drop the folder containing the vob files then click on back up, this will create an iso image of all the files, then the program automatically launches dvd decrypter and it burns the dvd , good luck

ps. the folder containin the vob should be Ex:Guns N' Roses - 1992-04-09 - Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL[JohnM] ( then inside it has a 2 folders "DVD 1" and "DVD 2"), Drag and Drop the DVD 1 (contains Video TS) to DVD Shrink and it will preview in a little window the whole thing after it finishes do the back up etc. then burn the second DVD) that goes for all the others dvd i bet they have the same structure
Old 2008-04-18, 01:57 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp View Post
Hi there, i'm new to this place and i need some help. I've downloaded some video stuff from this site, and i discovered, that is splitted into 1GB parts... and i need to merge them into a one big file... so i can start n' enjoy whole show... Could you advice me some good software capable of it? Thanks in advance
Some video converters can merge the files to one files. But it is expensive to pay $30 or$40 to get a video converter to join files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble