The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-30, 09:57 AM
1.07 TB/289.84 GB/0.27

Question BitTorrent upload mechanics

1. What is it that slows down my uploads? I am using the ABC torrent client which works fine. At first, I see speeds such as 15kB/s (which according to ISP is about my max upload speed). Some more ppl coming on, and the rate slows down typically to 2kB/s, makes the files crawl for ages and my upload capacity remain unexploited. Why doesn't the speed remain at 15kB/s?

2. Leechers still are at 70% when I've already uploaded 100% and even more. Can I alter the settings so the client will serve 100% of the data to one or some leecher/s who will share the rest of the data with the rest of the leechers (and I can go offline)?

3. Can a seeder select his audience and exclude leechers, for instance those who slow down an upload or those with bad ratios?

4. According to my ISP provider, max. speeds on this DSL line are
d/l 125kB/s
u/l 15kB/s
I don't trust that information, just because I never trust the big telecoms ... Is there a way to alter settings with fine tuning, especially increase u/l to 125? And provide you a better service ...

5. Often: My client is on, ready to seed, but no transmission to the waiting leecher. Anything I can do? I tried removing torrent and re-load. Nothing. I guess it's just servers not connecting, true?

6. Example: A torrent is inactive here but active on a different site, etree. Same source/show. Can a leecher resume by switching sites?

Last edited by chazuke; 2005-07-30 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-30, 10:20 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: BitTorrent upload mechanics

I've never used ABC so I can't comment on it. I can only give you general answers, for what they're worth.

1) Your upload (and download) speeds will vary depending on a number of things. It's hard to tell why in your case, because of the lack of some information, but if you're downloading and uploading at a reasonable rate at some point, then everything should be fine. If either rate (up or down) is very slow, all of the time, then there is something wrong in your configuration somewhere. You're at the mercy of the tracker in determining who connects to you and at what speed (more or less).

2) When it says you've uploaded 100% (or more), I think that means that you've uploaded the same number of bytes (or more) that the file(s) are, not 100% of the files, necessarily.No, I don't think you can alter the settings except as I explained below in #3. Once you've downloaded all of the files, in their entirety, you'll become a seeder. At that point, you have what you want and can go offline, but you'll no longer be sharing with the rest of the peers. What it sounds like you want to do is upload until someone else has the complete files and then let them take over seeding. If I'm correct in that that's what you want, then that's the whole basis of torrenting. You receive until you get it all, hopefully you'll give a little more (by seeding), and then you go on to the next show (or torrent). It takes patience.

3) In Azureus (I'm not sure about ABC), you can "deselect" (ban) peers, but I don't think any client will allow you to selectivly choose which peers you seed to. I think the tracker decides that. What you can do however, is ban all users except the ones you want to have connected to you. I'm still pretty sure the tracker will decide if they actually connect to you or not though, but with the narrowed down choice, it'll connect to the ones you specify, when it does connect them (if I'm correct).

4) Trust that info. They wouldn't lie to you - they have no reason to. There is no way to alter your upload (or download) capabilites. Those limits are set at your ISP's head-end.

5) Are you sure there are leechers waiting? If so, are there other seeders? If yes, you won't necessarily be selected by the tracker. Maybe it prefers the other seeders, for whatever reason at that time. If no other seeders, are you using a router and/or firewall program? If so, it sounds like one or both are not configured properly.
Old 2005-07-30, 10:42 AM
1.07 TB/289.84 GB/0.27

Thanks, Ted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
3) In Azureus (I'm not sure about ABC), you can "deselect" (ban) peers, ...
ABC users:
In ABC, I can select a leecher (with full IP!) and there's a button "Finish Allocation" in the window. Does this "deselect" the leecher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
4) Trust that info. They wouldn't lie to you - they have no reason to.
They got no clue either. Never felt as if the helpdesk knows anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
5) Are you sure there are leechers waiting? If so, are there other seeders? If yes, you won't necessarily be selected by the tracker. Maybe it prefers the other seeders, for whatever reason at that time. If no other seeders, are you using a router and/or firewall program? If so, it sounds like one or both are not configured properly.
It is just strange. Sometimes, a tracker ignites imediately, sometimes no activity for hours, even when I'm the only seeder and everything is set as it should.
Old 2005-07-30, 11:56 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I don't think that "Finish Allocation" will ban or "deselect" a user. Maybe someone who uses ABC and knows will read this and help out with that one.

While the help desk may not have a clue (most don't), they should at least be able to tell you what speeds you're capable of getting. If not, try your ISP's website. You can also call their sales department as if you're interested in service and ask what speeds they offer. I tried checking your ISP's page, but I can't read the language and didn't see an English translation option. Whatever they claim though, it has to be true - other wise they'd be hit with false advertising or misrepresentation lawsuits.
Old 2005-08-01, 04:56 AM
159.76 GB/3.12 TB/19.99

The "finish allocation" button seems to have a misleading name. I also thought it had something to do with banning peers, but I read something on the ABC forum on SourceForge that it has to do with your hard disk space allocation, i.e. do you want to automatically reserve the required amount of space on your hard drive that is needed to store the entire BT download. Otherwise it allocates as it goes along*

* this is not exact info, but a general idea

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble