The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2007-12-13, 05:22 PM
5.02 GB/27.92 GB/5.56

Question Many Lineage Questions...

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what counts as acceptable. I've inherited a lot of this from my parents and their parents and such, but here's the info I have on these...I'm not sure...As far as I'm aware, what I have is THE LOWEST LINEAGE COPY and the masters are either gone, probably impossible to get again, or just plain lost in the sea of the world...

1st (1993):

Recorded on tape in audience (original source confirmed gone) > to cassette > to minidisc > to flac, lpf cutoff at like 13000

I can't seem to find a copy out there other than mine in the first place. There looks to have been some sort of processing done on it, lpf cutoff very very low at like 13000. Not blocky looking, but there seems to have been some sort of lossyness.

2nd (1993):

Recorded from radio broadcast (station copy, not via personal radio) > CD(x) > flac

Has something lossy about it, again, very low lpf cutoff (10000), the quality is spectacular though and I'm not sure if there are any out there that have the low lineage mine have.

3rd (1993):

Recorded on tape > cassette > CD(1) > flac

What's with these low lpf cutoffs? Present here again at like 11500. Not blocky looking via the graphs. As I said, I have the lowest lineage.

Now, are these acceptable for posting under the circumstances? These are rare masters that I'm not sure exist in a lower lineage and I've searched high and low with no lucky. I'll be awaiting for an answer.

Thanks! - D
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-13, 05:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Many Lineage Questions...

The first one is not OK due to the minidisc transfer in the middle (see rule 11 of our ABT Seeding Policy).

As for number two and three, there is nothing obvious in the lineage to say you can't seed them. However, what I would do is post the FA/SA in this forum and see what some of those gurus think of it mostly so it gets and OK and you can then post that in the thread and you don't have people bringing it up later and reporting it to the Mods and saying it should be pulled for being lossy.

Old 2007-12-13, 05:48 PM
5.02 GB/27.92 GB/5.56

Question Re: Many Lineage Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
The first one is not OK due to the minidisc transfer in the middle (see rule 11 of our ABT Seeding Policy).
Well, that's why I posted it...I read the rules, but as far as I'm aware, I have the lowest lineage copy. Especially with the master being gone should this not count as being uploadable despite the MD in the middle?

Thanks! - D
Old 2007-12-14, 12:59 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Many Lineage Questions...

the exceptions to the 'md in the middle' rule made here in the past can be counted on one hand... we generally stay away from that here, there's other sites that would allow that source to be posted.

I have no idea what the bands or dates are but you should be able to track down somebody who has an extensive collection of whichever artists those are and trade some clips via pm on rapidshare or similar to quickly find out if your copies are the best available (or if they're un/undercirculated alternate sources).

anyhow, you probably already thought of all that but just thought I'd say...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?