The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-05-09, 07:29 PM
226.56 GB/64.12 GB/0.28

Invalid torrent file error troubles

I have suddenly been getting an "Invalid torrent file" error on every torrent that I have attempted to download for the previous two days (have not logged on in a week or two but no problems prior). This is a non issue with other trackers which down/upload fine (dime etc). I am using utorrent 1.8.2. Anybody have any ideas how I may resolve this?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-05-09, 08:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Invalid torrent file error troubles

Try stopping them and starting them again? You could try modifying them to all have the regular announce url (with thetradersden.org instead of tradersden.org) by selecting the torrents and doing a right-click and change the url that way. See if that fixes it.

Old 2009-05-09, 11:36 PM
226.56 GB/64.12 GB/0.28

Thanks for the suggests u2lynne, but I cannot start or stop because they will not initially load and therefore were never started. The regular announce url is what the link directs me to on first trying, doing the opposite and modifying back to "tradersden.org" does not work either, so neither tradersden or thetradersden works. I'm stumped and bummed about this. The only clue i can offer is this: Windows Vista did an update this week to ie explorer 8 as my browser, does this offer any clues?? I do not see why a link that opens utorrent would in any way be affected by this change, but maybe there is something someone out there might have some ideas about? Thanks again, any further suggests much appreciated!
Old 2009-05-10, 12:05 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

they must have loaded if they list in your client..
perhaps your personalized key / login to site was/is the issue
(sometimes weird errors call for weird solutions)
clear the files from utorrent > log out > clear your cookies > login > download torrent

should be a one time deal..everyone else is fine.
Old 2009-05-10, 01:55 AM
869.62 GB/0.99 TB/1.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
they must have loaded if they list in your client..
perhaps your personalized key / login to site was/is the issue
(sometimes weird errors call for weird solutions)
clear the files from utorrent > log out > clear your cookies > login > download torrent

should be a one time deal..everyone else is fine.
Im having the same problem,cleared cookies rebooted etc still no luck
Old 2009-05-10, 07:25 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Download the .torrent file again and dump it in the original folder and have it replace the old one. It should check and see how much you've downloaded and start again where you left off.
Old 2009-05-10, 07:44 AM
226.56 GB/64.12 GB/0.28

Thanks direwolf-pgh, but they in fact are not listed because they are not recognized as valid files whether I click the link on torrent thread, copy/paste into utorrent etc. No traders den torrents seem to be recognized as valid, but torrents from other trackers such as dime are recognized as valid and work fine for me??? I tried your other recommended steps with no change. I am puzzled. The fact that at least one other person has chimed in as having this same issue is interesting.
Old 2009-05-10, 08:42 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwing View Post
Thanks direwolf-pgh, but they in fact are not listed because they are not recognized as valid files whether I click the link on torrent thread, copy/paste into utorrent etc.
this sounds more a common Windows IE issue.

solution:
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset button.

(on older versions of IE..the reset button is on the second to last tab)

basically Windows/IE has been altered and does not understand the .torrent file type. Reset corrects this issue.

good morning
Old 2009-05-10, 09:00 AM
106.56 GB/165.32 GB/1.55

I am also having the same problem..The trouble is UTorrent will not save the file because it reads it as Invalid torrent so it don't even make the client list. I even tried saving one and editing "thetradersden.org" part to read "tradersden.org" and it then accepted it as a recognizable torrent but then it would not connect to the tracker. Mind you this is not a problem with all torrents. I think they are mostly just the ones from mdshrk1 (and he has some great ups). Maybe we were all trying to get the same shows... I think I will just leave him a message to see if he's having a problem...
Old 2009-05-10, 09:04 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

^^^ this may be it... more specifically, you may need to reset your file association for the .torrent extension. it works a bit differently in IE8.

in the internet options panel, click the "programs" tab.
in the programs tab, select the link that says "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
scoll down to the entry for ".torrent"
see if it is properly associated with uTorrent.
If it isn't, or even if it is, double click it, then choose "BROWSE" and browse to choose the app again.
The likely path to the program is "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" unless you have Vista 64 bit, then it will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
Once you get that set:
1) close all IE windows
2) remove the old torrents from uTorrent
3) open IE8, come get a new torrent file.

Do NOT save the torrent, just click it and choose OPEN. uTorrent should open it, ask for the save location, etc...
If you get the error again after that, please take a screenshot of the error and post it here so we can get a better idea of what is happening.
Old 2009-05-10, 09:05 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon View Post
I am also having the same problem..The trouble is UTorrent will not save the file because it reads it as Invalid torrent so it don't even make the client list. I even tried saving one and editing "thetradersden.org" part to read "tradersden.org" and it then accepted it as a recognizable torrent but then it would not connect to the tracker. Mind you this is not a problem with all torrents. I think they are mostly just the ones from mdshrk1 (and he has some great ups). Maybe we were all trying to get the same shows... I think I will just leave him a message to see if he's having a problem...
can you snatch the announce URL out of the .torrent you have from him and post it here?>
Old 2009-05-10, 09:18 AM
106.56 GB/165.32 GB/1.55

I use Firefox and whenever I click on a Torrent from any site it automatically gets opened by Utorrent and then all the usual stuff happens. When these are clicked on Utorrent won't even give you a chance to do anything, however I just now checked out Mdshrk1's Ellington seed and it works fine. I did leave him a message though and am waiting to see whats up.
Old 2009-05-10, 09:23 AM
106.56 GB/165.32 GB/1.55

Talking Re: Invalid torrent file error troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon View Post
I use Firefox and whenever I click on a Torrent from any site it automatically gets opened by Utorrent and then all the usual stuff happens. When these are clicked on Utorrent won't even give you a chance to do anything, however I just now checked out Mdshrk1's Ellington seed and it works fine. I did leave him a message though and am waiting to see whats up.
Ok It's all a moot point now as Mudshrk1 is already changing the announce on his shows..

Shows what a great seeder he is...
Old 2009-05-10, 09:28 AM
226.56 GB/64.12 GB/0.28

Canon you are on to something here. I realize most, but not all of the torrents I have been unsuccessfully trying to load are from mdshrk1. When I randomly try to open other torrents they have all opened successfully except those from mdshrk1 as well as Frank Zappa St Paul 11-27-74 SBD (FLAC) which was upped by uncle_john. I have only done this random selection with about 10-12 torrents and that is the pattern, and one exception, that i see.

I have tried all the suggestions of evrybody else (thanks) with no changes.
Old 2009-05-10, 09:33 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

I have changed the announce. But what should I do about the ones with the missing e in the dictionary? Should they be pulled & reupped? Let me know. The Lounge Lizards alone is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble